News LA: Armed suspect killed but protesters gather anyway

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

LYNWOOD, Calif. (KABC) --
    A man suspected of shooting rounds into the air was killed Saturday in a deputy-involved shooting in Lynwood.

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the shooting happened around 11 a.m. outside of an Arco gas station near Long Beach Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue.

Deputies from the Century Station responded to the area after receiving multiple calls about a man in a checkered shirt with a gun and shots being fired.

An eyewitness who asked to remain anonymous captured video of the gunfire and said the suspect was shooting in the air and did not want to comply with commands. Deputies at the scene said they yelled multiple commands at the suspect to drop the gun, but ended up opening fire when he didn't listen.

Other witnesses at the scene told authorities they saw the suspect turn and point the gun at the deputies prior to the shooting.

"The video is just one piece of evidence that's going to be examined as part of a comprehensive, long investigation and that'll be analyzed against the physical evidence, the witness statements and the deputies' statements," LASD Lt. Eddie Hernandez said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. No deputies were injured in the shooting, authorities said.

Authorities recovered a loaded .45-caliber handgun from the scene. Relatives of the man, whose identity has not been released, were at the scene and said he was married with children. Many people in the area said the shooting was "unjustified."

The investigation was ongoing.

Sheriff Jim McDonnell released the following statement:

"I want to assure the public that the Sheriff's Department takes deputy involved shootings very seriously and that this investigation will be handled with the utmost professionalism and integrity. We are working closely with our criminal justice system partners as well as members of the public to put together the most comprehensive and accurate account of exactly what occurred.

"In this modern age of cell phone video and instant analysis on the internet, I would ask that we keep in mind that a thorough and comprehensive investigation is detailed and time intensive. It will involve, not just one source of information, but numerous sources, potentially including multiple videos, physical evidence and eyewitness accounts. I urge anyone who has information about this shooting incident to contact our investigators. Our number one priority is public safety."

Anyone with more information on the incident was asked to call the LASD homicide bureau at (323) 890-5500. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.

http://abc7.com/news/suspect-killed-in-lynwood-deputy-involved-shooting/1120214/

2. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    YouTube

3. Habsfan

Habsfan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They seem warn him and only shot when henturned towards them. I was surprised the cop being that far shot and hit the suspect but why did they keep keep shooting. One even reloaded.

4. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Looks like a good shoot to me....

WHTHS likes this.
  5. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    There is a sense of entitlement to shoot guns in these neighborhoods. I'm glad this jerk is gone.

6. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    why are the cops wearing ties

7. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Standard procedure. An empty gun is useless. Of course you reload immediately. After you empty your magazine into your target.

8. Rupert Pupkin

Reputations:
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...nwood-caught-on-videotape-20151212-story.html

Experts familiar with use-of-force cases said deputies will need to explain why they opened fire and continued to shoot as Robertson was on the ground.

“They are going to have to articulate why they made every one of those shots,” said Ed Obayashi, an Inyo County deputy and an attorney. “They must show they reasonably used deadly force.”

Sid Heal, a retired Los Angeles County sheriff's commander who testifies in lethal force cases, said that to use deadly force, an officer or deputy must see a suspect as an imminent threat to police or the public.

“The video suggests they believe he had a gun,” Heal said. “And they continue to shoot when he was on the ground, so that suggests they believe he was reaching for a weapon.”

9. Habsfan

Reputations:
    He fired atleast 9 or 15 after the other cop had already shot him. Not judging just wondering why so many shots fired

10. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The cops are trained to shoot until the threat is neutralized. Which I gather means "turned into hairy jelly". I personally would not want to be killed by a wounded perp who still had the strength to squeeze a trigger.

Some time ago I was eating lunch near where I worked at the time, this is right after the 1984 San Diego shooting. I was finishing my fries when I felt something behind my head and there was a cop next to me pointing his gun at my head. They told me to lay on the ground. IT DID NOT SEEM LIKE A GOOD TIME FOR ANY SNAPPY REPLY. So I laid on the ground. From the seated position. My point being that when cops tell you to do something, it's probably in your best interests to do it.

Habsfan likes this.
  11. Rupert Pupkin

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, down here in Sunny Florida.............

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hoot-14-year-old-boy-carrying-airsoft-n478961

Jacksonville, Florida, Police Shoot Black Teen Carrying Airsoft Gun
    by ELIZABETH CHUCK
    DEC 12 2015, 11:59 AM ET

A black teen carrying an Airsoft gun was shot by police in Jacksonville, Florida, on Friday night after an officer mistook the 14-year-old's BB gun for a real weapon. The boy suffered a non-life-threatening injury to the leg.

Officers were called to a Jacksonville woman's house just after 11 p.m. after she said there was an "armed prowler" shooting at her window, said Tom Hackney of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Officer Josh Livingood, who has been on the Jacksonville police force for two years, approached the teen and told him to put his hands up, authorities said. The boy then pulled out an Airsoft gun and pointed it at Livingood, Hackney said.

Livingood, not realizing it was a BB gun, then fired six shots at the boy, hitting him once in the left leg, according to Hackney.

The teen, who was not identified, has "developmental and psychiatric disorders," Hackney added, and has no criminal history but had had multiple interactions with Jacksonville police before.

12. Habsfan

Reputations:
    Agreed. Just obey their commands and you can argue and complain afterwards. Simple

WHTHS likes this.
  13. Habsfan

Reputations:
    Sucks for the cop and the kid with mental issues. Lucky for both he couldn't shoot fired 6 times and shot him in the leg.

Rupert Pupkin likes this.
  14. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    Live fire practice for the cops.
    Thank you urban America.

15. DarkFriday

Reputations:
    U gang up.
    U sell drugs.
    U have no job.
    U pay no tax.
    U carry a loaded weapon around to hurt others.
    U are nothing but a burden to humanity.
    Crime is your choice in life.
    Ur choice.
    The cops gun your ass down.
    Good riddance.

Yet somehow, its my fault. :coffee:

OV, DinnerSocks and dawg like this.
  16. DarkFriday

Reputations:
    He was such a good boy.
    He never hurt no one or nothing.