Larry Miller - Health Update?

Discussion in 'Other Shows' started by Peau de Soie, May 30, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Anyone here have information on Larry Miller's health? He suffered a fall after drinking (not un-ironically considering his schtick) and had a "head injury".

It's been several weeks (holy crap, almost 2 MONTHS), and he is still supposedly "convalescing". His podcast feed is "reduxes" (repeats) with an update by the producer that doesn't really tell anything new.

What kind of benign "head injury" takes weeks to recover from? To the point of preventing him from doing an audio-only podcast?

Back on April 4, the story was
    "Miller will remain there for a few days more for observation, but doctors expect him to make a full recovery."

I hope he's okay.

2. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    He is odd but I like him as well..

3. Yellowfever

Yellowfever New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Carolla hasn't given any updates. The feeling is that it is real bad and that he's near vegtable/brain dead status. All of this is unconfirmed, but the feeling that Carolla fans have and others is that things are not good for the long run.

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    No shit, are you serious? That was like my worst fear about the situation. What happened to all the initial rosy prognostication??

The poor old guy has young kids! This sucks.

5. Yellowfever

Yellowfever New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Like I said, all is unconfirmed and I'm going by what I read on message boards and comment sections. However, he was on Adams show weekly and Adam has said almost nothing of it, and apparently the fall took place after he left Adams studio. Adam trashes network execs and is very open with what he thinks. The whole thing feels like what happened to Patrice, the fact that everybody is so silent is what is freaking people out. Same thing that happened with Artie. Had Larry just fucked his head up a bit something would be known by now, you'd think.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the information. I haven't seen that anywhere, and I'm behind in my Larry and Carolla listening too.

Such a change from the original reports. :(

From Hollywood.com

7. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    i ve known a few people who fell backward (roller blading) and smashed the bottom of the back of their skull -- they recovered, but one of them was never the same -- that's serious shit when u get a fracture there

8. k4D3t

Reputations:
    the vagueness of adam's reports is troubling

9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    In the last two "TWWLM" podcast repeat intros, "Colonel" Jeff, while again being ridiculously vague, repeatedly said Larry was "fine", and "okay", and best of all, "trust me". He said Larry was meeting with and interacting with old friends, and that his return to the air was really contingent only on his wife approving it.

I'm not familiar with head trauma recovery, but we're past two months already. One would think that if Larry were capable of speaking normally he himself would have recorded part of one of these intro bumpers by now, just to reassure fans. So despite "the Colonel's" assurances, I'm not at all sure I trust him.

Good health and full recovery to you Larry Miller, whether or not you end up resuming broadcasting. These "redux" episodes are pretty good too.

10. k4D3t

Reputations:
    yeah, i continue to be troubled he doesnt at least call in to adam for 10 minutes

11. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been worried about Larry too. I had this ritual of listening to his podcast every Friday during Happy Hour at my local watering hole (how's that for irony?) and just last week I checked for new updates and couldn't find anything definitive aside from being shocked that it's been over 2 months and we have no new info.

I've been dreading learning what's really going on with him.

Can't think of anything more damaging to a comedian than a brain injury. Hope he's okay and getting better!

12. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I really miss Larry... this David Wild guy is killing me. He's the douchiest douche that EVER douched!

13. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Now I only listen to Carolla when there's a guest I want to hear. I think I've heard Wild a few times but he's made no real impression on me.

14. Night Ape

Reputations:
    The other thing it could be, hopefully, is Larry went to rehab. All the reports said he wasn't drunk when he had his accident, even though he was at a bar, but that could be the work of a talented publicist.

A lot of the time Larry's podcast was all about booze and the proper way to imbibe it, which is awesome.

But maybe the guy is just a total lush and his wife, manager and family finally sent him to rehab for a nice long stay.

15. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    This from Wiki:

Larry took a fall in early April 2012 and was hospitalized with a head injury. He is currently convalescing and is expected to make a full recovery, but has had to cancel a few shows in the short term.

16. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

That's a great theory, and I hope you're right, but it doesn't seem to fit with the facts. :(

17. Sky

Sky New Member

Reputations:
    Sadly I'm afraid Mr. Miller may be far more gravely injured than anyone wants to admit. I'm also frustrated by the weekly uninformative updates. While I want to be respectful of his family and his privacy, he is a public personality so I expect a bit more information. No matter what they say, he's not fine and any of us with common sense knows that. He's been gone from his podcast for 11+ weeks. All of his appearances to date have been cancelled. No Twitter updates. As someone mentioned, no call-in "howdy" to anyone. We KNOW it is bad. Just tell us how bad or at least give us more honesty that "fine" so we can fret and pray appropriately. I don't want to be weird - I know that most of us don't actually KNOW Mr. Miller. But as a long-time fan and avid clog follower, I still feel like he is an old friend. He's like the cool guy who works down the hall from you, in another department, but you see each other in the lunchline and sometimes at the grocery store and exchange little stories about your weekend or your weird family. And suddenly he's gone and all I know is he's (not) fine.

18. Night Ape

Reputations:
    UPDATE:

Adam gave a Larry Miller update on today's podcast addressing the rumors/rumblings on the internet.

Basically, Adam said Larry's injury was much more serious than anyone had initially thought or reported and he had indeed suffered some brain trauma. He's currently in a rehab facility in California where he's been receiving daily treatment, including having to "relearn some things people have to relearn in these sorts of cases."

Adam said Larry's recovery is going great. He visited with him the other day where they spoke for about an hour. Claims there's nothing drastically wrong or different with him. Said Larry is the same old Larry.

He then said it's up to Larry's wife when he's allowed to go back to work but teased he may have Larry back on the show as early as next week.

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Thank you, Night Ape!

That makes a LOT of sense.

There have been a lot of famous cases of celebrities (and even lowly non-celebrities) recovering from a stroke and having to relearn basic skills or facts about themselves. I'm trying to think of a woman to whom this happened in the 80s... and of course cannot remember.

Still, this is WAY better news than the dumb old podcast intros were revealing / implying by their lack of candor.

Thanks again.

Get well Larry!!

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations: