Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Student Debt (HBO)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  2. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    wow

3. Skid Marx

Skid Marx EDITOR IN CHIEF DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I never graduated from Washington state, yet im the standard for American journalism

4. Dominic GPS

Dominic GPS TIT: Texan-In-Training VIP

Reputations:
    John Oliver has a great show

but damn that's depressing

MPVT likes this.
  5. Sammy13

Sammy13 I love The Cookie Banned User

Reputations:
    So is Texas :dontknow:

GIRLY and Gusbuss like this.
  6. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    How did I know in the first few seconds that his solution would be to have the government pay for college? As if having government funding magically makes the debt go away. The real solution is to realize that college isn't for everyone. If you can't maintain a GPA above 3.0, you really need to drop out and stop wasting money.

I worked 40 hrs a week in college and graduated with a 3.4 GPA (4.0 major) and less than $3000 in debt. It's not hard to do. If your grades are high enough and you network with the right people you can at least get a partial scholarship.

TheLACritic, AmishGirl, GIRLY and 3 others like this.
  7. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    How else can they pay over 225K to have Hillary speak?

8. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    where is the tipping point for the cost of a college degree? it has to be here or close. if you gain your degree and all you are left with nowadays is a 250k dept WTF is the point? has does that ROI look?

AmishGirl likes this.
  9. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well aren't you special.... I went to UCLA in the 90's- my tuition for the year was $3600 (books were another 400) I could literally pay for all of it by working during the summer for 10 bucks an hour doing forklift driving. I worked during the weekends- maybe 10 hours a week during the school year- and came out with close to a 3.8 debt free.

My father went to UC Davis in the 60's and had NO TUITION. He had fees of a couple hundred dollars- everything else was paid for. He painted during the summer and didnt work at all during the school year- he went to dental school after junior year and graduated from DENTAL SCHOOL with no debt.

I dated a undergraduate who went to davis a year ago- She was an econ major, close to getting a 4.0. Her tuition was $18000 per year (i think it is 13,000 in state) Good luck making that much and living expenses during a summer. (kids come out with at least 40k plus of debt now- to go to a state school.)

We used to pay for college- keeping kids out of debt. The kids arent lazier- it is that we fuck them over now. People used to give a shit about kids and not saddle them with crazy debt. Now- good luck having our economy improve when recent grads have all their income tied up to loans instead of spending on goods and services to keep our economy functioning.

jimerer and alittlebitcunty like this.
  10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    It never occurs to any of the know-it-alls that the reason college costs so much today is that "someone else" is already paying for so much of it. People tend not to care what something costs when they're not on the hook for it, and to a lesser degree, when they can borrow whatever they want for it and the idea of paying for it seems far away.

With a massive flood of government money into the system, what incentive did colleges and universities have to hold costs down? If suddenly 50% more people are knocking at your door for an education because it's free in many states and highly subsidized in most places, why would you not raise tuition?

It was also once unheard of for a kid whose parents weren't loaded and paying for it to spend 4-6 years at college and not have a job. Now that's the norm. There are "students" living alone in upscale apartments for half a decade while they go to college. They spend their summers traveling. This is a big part of why they're graduating with $80,000 in debt.

I had it easy, I "only" worked every day of every summer, spring break, christmas break, and Thanksgiving break during college. Plus the same for 2 years in HS before I went to save for it. My last quarter I had a full time job already in one city and drove to another to attend my final classes 3 days a week.

Many today graduate with a degree but practically no real-world work experience. No wonder they're un-hireable.

TheLACritic and AmishGirl like this.
  11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    They aren't lazier? You obviously haven't tried to hire a "kid" today.

TheLACritic likes this.
  12. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How much are you offering? Here is a tip- offer a dollar over minimum wage and look for a kid that is in honors courses in high school. It works really well for In and Out on the west coast. There are a ton of good quality kids out there- you have to actually look.

People said the same thing to me when i was young. Complained they had to hired illegals to pick fruit. i worked in 100 degree heat in fresno california digging ditches when i was 16. I worked alongside mexicans who couldnt speak english. I will tell you- mexicans arent better workers. They dont work as fast, they dont work really hard- what they do well is allow themselves to be exploited. They all made less than i did and didnt complain- or if they did, it was in spainish so no one cared.

It is BS to think kids are lazier- look at sports, kids are better than they have ever been. Look at SATs, college entrance numbers- kids are the best they have ever been. Look at technology- kids from teens to 20 somethings are changing all industries..... young people are better than anyone who has come before- but they are coming into a fucked up economy where social mobility is the lowest it has ever been. The come into a world of "too big to fail" and where our presidents all come from the same two families (bush, clinton) Opportunities have dried up.

AmishGirl likes this.
  13. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The universities with the highest tuition also typically have the largest endowment funds. "Hey wealthy alumni, want a nice tax write off? Donate to Harvard!" They are also exempt from the federal requirement that endowments must disburse at least 5% of their funds annually to maintain tax exempt status.

From page 12 here: http://www.centerforcollegeaffordability.org/uploads/Miller_Munson_corrected.pdf

Harvard and Yale are so wealthy that it would take less than 1 percent endowment spending for their
    students to attend tuition-free. Two percent spending would add Stanford, Princeton, MIT, and Rice stu-
    dents to that list. So far, we are just talking about the elite private schools, and even then. But we are also
    not spending much. Three percent spending would
    allow a total of 53,000 students at schools including Pomona College and the University of Virginia to get
    free tuition. Three percent spending would also allow tuition bills to be slashed in half for more than
    180,000 undergraduates attending the University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, the University of North Car-
    olina, and twenty-nine other schools in all. At 4 percent
    spending, twenty institutions could offer free tuition to 114,000 students and forty-four institutions could
    cut tuition by half for more than 400,000 undergraduates.

AmishGirl likes this.
  14. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    S
    Since you went to UCLA I won't say you aren't smart, but don't you think things have changed since your dad went to college? Back then only the elite and rich went to college. Now it's expected that everyone go to college. It's simple supply and demand. Demand had skyrocketed with few new colleges to meet the demand.

Why else do you see the cost of college rising faster than inflation? It was better when college was less subsidized with student loans. I went to a UC in the 1990s too and my parents made too much for a loan, but they said they didn't have enough to pay for me.

And less opportunities? Do you think we can endlessly allow immigrants into this country that are willing to work for less than an American born person? And how much demand do you think there is for millions of sociology or liberal arts majors?

Crony capitalism is also a problem. People like Obama now want to help the people like him he felt were neglected over the decades leading to more people less qualified but well connected.

And how long can we allow government workers to make more than private sector employees? How did the Clintons become so wealthy by working in public office?

15. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I've heard from at least 6 different owners of companies that have worked on my house that it is impossible to hire a kid, hell, ANYONE right now that isn't lazy and thinks everything should be handed to them. The owners seemed to all be in their late 50s/early 60s, so I imagine they've seen quite a bit.

Anecdotal, yes, but still not a coincidence.