Entertainment Late Night-NBC Extends Fallon's contract; Leno Rips Kimmel

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rupert Pupkin, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    I know some of y'all don't give a flying shit about late night, but Fallon was rewarded with a long-term contract extension. Kimmel disliked Leno from way back and Leno, now free of his 'day job' is more candid in his assessment of Howard's 1-week a year friend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/b...ht-show-contract-into-2021.html?ref=arts&_r=0

NBC Extends Jimmy Fallon’s ‘Tonight Show’ Contract Into 2021

LOS ANGELES — A few weeks before NBC faces a new challenge in late night, the network is doubling down on Jimmy Fallon as the host of the “Tonight” show.

NBC has extended Mr. Fallon’s contract for three and a half years beyond his previous deal, which will keep him as the show’s host through fall 2021.

The “Tonight” show has consistently been No. 1 in the ratings for its time slot, and its segments have been popular online, in the 18 months since Mr. Fallon took over for Jay Leno. But starting next month, he will have strong competition from Stephen Colbert, who is taking over “The Late Show” on CBS.

“It’s nice to say Jimmy’s the guy four weeks before Colbert enters the fray,” Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, said in an interview on Thursday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jay-leno-jimmy-kimmel-mean-streak_55ccfc75e4b0cacb8d336802

Jay Leno Thinks Jimmy Kimmel's 'Mean Streak' Is The Reason For His Low Ratings
    He didn't hold back when talking about his late-night rival.

Jay Leno is back, and he's already taking shots at his fellow comics.

While promoting his new show, "Jay Leno's Garage," the former "Tonight Show" host spoke to TV Insider about the industry's current rulers of late-night. Leno had nothing but nice things to say about Seth Meyers, Jimmy Fallon and Stephen Colbert, but didn't really hold back when talking about Jimmy Kimmel.

Kimmel and Leno have had a pretty public rivalry going on over the years, with the former never holding back his criticism. You might even say Kimmel was relentless in his roasting of Leno, so the dig didn't really come as a surprise.

"The most [important] element you can have in doing a late-night show is kindness,” Leno said. "Because the show makes you arrogant. I think that’s Jimmy Kimmel’s problem. I think he’s a talented guy, I think he’s funny. But he has a mean streak, and it comes across."

But he didn't stop there: "He does this thing where he takes Halloween candy from kids and the kids cry. What am I missing here? It is funny I guess, but it’s mean-based. I think that’s why he’s not higher in the ratings.”

Guacamole likes this.
  2. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

He was one of the best regular guests ever on Letterman, a great stand-up comic and one of the hardest working men in show business.

And here he is in American Hot Wax:

Wigward, TheLACritic, PI Nate and 2 others like this.
  3. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Late night talk show blow, but then again so od daytime talk shows, so what do I know.

XXXXX likes this.
  4. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Don't care, don't watch.

5. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Oh I don't even like Colbert very much but I hope he absolutely destroys that hack Fallon in the ratings. I hope Colbert's popularity is so large that NBC begs Jay to come back.

DuckDong, tired, Phuck Yoo and 10 others like this.
  6. puncher

puncher VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Not going to happen...Colbert will be entertaining, but Fallon is a monster in ratings at this point. I am still curious what type of show Colbert will do...if he will stay "in character" or if he will go away from that. I think CBS will get a bump initially, but Fallon will still win overall. And Kimmel...forget it...he can't win at anything. ABC has tried so many things with this show and has moved the timeslot around and he is still destined for 3rd place...and Conan who??

It's funny how the guys that were attempting to "rip" on Leno (Kimmel and Conan) have the worst ratings. Conan bitched like a baby, but he couldn't draw any ratings..so NBC pulled the plug. Kimmel tried to boost ratings by bashing Leno...didn't work...still a failure. Maybe Kimmel should focus more on the show and less on having parties for Howard Stern "in his honor".

DuckDong, GQtaste, kicksave7 and 3 others like this.
  7. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure Howard will be all upset because someone (especially Leno) criticized his boyfriend. Kimmel is always in last place when it comes to ratings, his shtick doesn't play well and he comes off as an arrogant douchebag who thinks he's a lot funnier than he actually his. He and Howard make a great pair.

tired, TheLACritic and lovetalkradio like this.
  8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Smart og Fallon to get a long term extension before Colbert starts. Colbert is big in the 18-49 crowd (relatively). He could really put a dent in Fallon's ratings. Moreso than Kimmel ever could.

9. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Exactly, who knows how the ratings will reshuffle once Colbert comes on the scene. I'm thinking Cobert will take away more ratings from Fallon than from Kimmel- but what do I know.

Mulletude and Gusbuss like this.
  10. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I think it's specious to assume that Colbert is going to coopt a lot of Letterman's audience, when Colbert is going to be working as himself and not as "Steven Colbert". This could be disastrous for CBS.

TheLACritic and PI Nate like this.
  11. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Based on the popularity of his teaser clips are on the internet, I think he is going to have a bigger audience than Letterman (at least in the key demo where Letterman was lagging in recent years). And the clips are funny.

Colbert was funny on the Daily Show before he adopted the faux Republican Neocon character. Personally, I think he is funnier than Fallon ever will be. I think Fallon isn't really funny at all and relies on games with celebrities to get ratings.

12. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    I am a radio guy,after wheel of fortune at 7:30 ends,it is usually tv off,and I listen to Sirius. I would say that Fallon,from what I have seen is super high energy and annoying,like a male version of Ellen.Is Ellen a male?

13. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Oh, I agree with you about Fallon AND I liked Colbert's neocon character and I've liked his clips.

Maybe he can grab that college student crowd that Letterman and Conan had....

Gusbuss likes this.
  14. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I like Colbert well enough - but he's just going to split the leftovers from Fallon after everything settles down.

I'm a Conan guy - so I couldn't give a shit less who kills each other on the broadcast networks.

gnarly barkley and zoben like this.
  15. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    While I agree that Letterman vs Leno ultimately proved that the lesser talented safer comedian generally wins I'm rooting for Colbert because he's just a sharper guy. I just don't think Fallon's "Whacky Celebritiy Games" has staying power.

I agree with everything else you said except for Conan although I admit bias because I think his run on Late Night was the best Late Show I've seen. His Tonight Show was a neutered version which is why it sucked in ratings and didn't satisfy his previous install base much less the ones used to Leno. Conan on TBS is rather meh but it still produces some good moments, better than anyone currently on Late Night TV.

TallTyrion likes this.
  16. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    The candy gag kills right. Jimmy will up the ante

Although I like Jays garage. They showed a steam powered off road train

Gusbuss likes this.
  17. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    For those worried about whether Stephen Colbert will be funny "out of character," check him out on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. Very fun to watch.

18. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I didn't think he was that funny and that beard? holy crap he looked strange.

19. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard will have to rip into Leno in honor of his buddy Jimmy - it will give him some filler to use for the show in between Starbucks and Periscope ads.

I don't watch Fallon or Kimmel - have only seen the Kimmel clips here when Stern-related guests have been on the show although the lame Fallon
    lip syncing videos keep showing up on my you tube home page.

20. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]