News Latest Win 10 build -- Interesting new features

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Mr Pink, May 3, 2015.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wondering if these new features will sway any of the detractors (Chibbs???).

One commenter put it nicely:
    "I honestly don't know what to think about the new Microsoft. They are acting..... friendly and open.
    It’s almost creepy."

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-important-stuff-microsoft-announced-at-build-20-1700943959

All the Important Stuff Microsoft Announced at Build 2015 Today
    [​IMG]
    Eric Ravenscraft

[​IMG]
    Today, Microsoft held its (mostly boring!) developer keynote at Build 2015. If you’re not a developer, your eyes might gloss over during the presentation, but there are still some cool features normal users might find interesting. Here’s the best of what they announced.

Cortana Will Bring Powerful Voice Commands to Your Desktop
    [​IMG]
    We’ve talked about how Cortana will come to Windows 10, but the demos keep getting better. Today, Microsoft showed off how to launch applications or perform actions with natural language commands. For example: Cortana can not only open the Viber app, but send a message directly, without opening the app at all. Microsoft aims to make Cortana a key way to interact with apps without having to launch them.

Microsoft Edge Is an Awesome Browser (That Replaces Internet Explorer)

We’ve seen bits and pieces of Microsoft’s new browser (previously called Project Spartan), but now the browser is starting to take shape. Microsoft Edge will be the default browser with Windows 10. It includes support for extensions, which developers can easily port from their Chrome counterparts, meaning it’ll likely have a much better extension library out of the gate. It also has deep Cortana integration, so you can conduct searches and add info to your Cortana profile more seamlessly. It also includes a built-in note-taking mode, so you can save and annotate web pages, plus a reading mode that strips away all of the extraneous crap so you can read just the text

Microsoft Office Will Have Third-Party Plugins That Work Across Platforms
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft Office has had plugins for a while. Today, though, Microsoft showed off plugins for the Office suite that work across all of their platforms. For example, the company demonstrated how you could request an Uber from Outlook and pick it up on your phone (even an iPhone) to see when your car would arrive, or check LinkedIn profiles from Outlook (a laRapportive) without leaving the app. The plugins work across platforms, so when you open up Outlook on the web, or even your tablet, the same plugins you used on the desktop will work there as well.

Developers Can Easily Port Android or iOS Apps to Windows
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft’s Windows Store has had problems gaining apps because developers don’t want to rewrite their apps several times. The company announced developer tools that will make it easy to re-use code from Android or iOS apps to make Windows applications. That may sound boring, but that means you can expect to see more Windows versions of existing iOS and Android apps, meaning the Windows Store won’t seem so sparse.

Continuum Will Bridge the Gaps Between All Your Windows Devices
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft has been pushing Universal Apps pretty heavily. Developers will be able to write apps for Windows on the desktop, and the same software will work on Windows phones or tablets. Continuum will allow those apps to adapt to different screens on the fly and content can be synced or pushed between devices. This means that, if you’re using multiple Windows devices, you can maintain a consistent experience, much like Continuity does in OS X. They even demonstrated a phone being plugged into a monitor, keyboard, and mouse which functions much like a desktop. No new apps were needed. The phone apps inherently scaled to the roomier interface.

Desktop Apps from the Windows Store Will Be Sandboxed to Keep Your System Clean
    [​IMG]
    One of the biggest problems with Windows programs is that .NET and Win32 apps have always been allowed to change a lot of stuff on your machine, which they can leave without cleaning up. They’re also some of the most prone to security issues and vulnerabilities, which can wreak havoc on your machine when exploited. With the new Windows Store being used across all Windows devices, those apps will be downloaded in a sandbox that will prevent it from polluting your system.

The Windows Store Will Support Carrier Billing On All Platforms
    [​IMG]
    Carrier billing allows you to charge your cell carrier for purchases you make on your phone. This allows you to circumvent the need for a debit/credit card, which is particularly handy in developing markets or for people without credit. Microsoft will support this in the Windows Store, but notably, this will include the desktop as well as phones.

Visual Studio Will Come to OS X and Linux For the First Time, for Free
    [​IMG]

Microsoft's Visual Studio suite has been a mainstay of Windows app development for a long time. Today, though, the company announced that they would bring Visual Studio Code—a smaller, but still robust version of Visual Studio—to OS X and Linux users for the first time. The app will be available for free across all platforms its available on.

Don’t forget that Windows 10 is still in Technical Preview right now. If you want to try it out on your machine, you can follow our guide hereto enter the Microsoft Insider Program and download the newest version of Windows.

DogStar69 likes this.
  2. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    It's amazing what a company will do when their fuckups have caused them to be completely irrelevant in the biggest market of today and the future: mobile.

Oh, and no developer who uses OS X or Linux will give a shit about a hobbled version of Visual Studio.

3. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    Was wondering about that...

4. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've been using Windows 8 for 10 hours a day for two years now and I still don't know how to use it. I'm still not sure how to shut it down on a night and have to fuck around until I hit the right bit of screen. Things I did automatically on XP I don't even try with Windows 8.

When you hit the "programs" button on XP you get a nice list of all your programs in alphabetic order. I still don't know how to list all the programs on 8. Occasionally I get them all listed in a random order across the screen and have to spend 5 minutes scanning through until I give up and do a search which doesn't always work.

In 8 I think programs might be called apps but I'm still not sure.

How that heap of shite managed to get to market I don't know. Bill took his eye off the ball with his stupid foundation - Steve Jobs would never have let that happen.

5. Rahm2015

Rahm2015 Effortlessly Destroying Confirmed Internet Legends Gold

Reputations:
    I've been running the Windows 10 preview on a spare desktop for a couple of months now and I will say that I like it.
    The only experience I had with Windows 8 was on my work computer and even there I replaced the interface with Classic Shell so it was as close to Windows 7 as possible.

There will still be some nonsensical Windows 8 carryover items in 10 but for the most part it appears they've put together a solid OS here.
    Oh and the new MS Edge internet browser is a very, very nice upgrade.

6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I'd like to see two "features" instead of the new crap I don't need.

1. Doesn't crash.
    2. Menus to control stuff arranged coherently.

7. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    He would now.

8. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    I don't know about 8, but 7 doesn't crash ever. I leave it running almost all of the time without a reboot.

Rahm2015 likes this.
  9. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Yes, I have 7 on a gaming PC and it's fine excepty when you need to configure things, where it could be more intuitive. 8 isn't terrible, but it does just freeze up from time to time and do strange things.

10. Rahm2015

Rahm2015 Effortlessly Destroying Confirmed Internet Legends Gold

Reputations:
    Same here...Windows 7 reminds me a lot of the stability of XP.

11. WUT7272G7C

WUT7272G7C Space Chimp

Reputations:
    Visual Studio going cross platform is pretty cool

Rahm2015 likes this.