Lawsuits and Slow Builds - 1993 Edition

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Uncle Larry, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I liked this short article about Howard's first stint in Chicago which mentioned two of his favorite things. The show wasn't doing too well and the station found a way to pull the plug on it.

He ended up settling the case before it went to trial, and hopefully for Stern he was able to at least recoup enough cash to cover his legal fees.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_listeners-shock-jock-howard-stern-drivetime

"August 24, 1993

A bit miffed: New York's shock jock Howard Stern, abruptly axed by WLUP-AM, told listeners of his syndicated program Monday morning that "a massive lawsuit" over the Loop's action was in the offing. The station's explanation that it was reacting to FCC concern over his program's allegedly indecent content was "a load of bunk," he told listeners. Responding to a caller from Cleveland, Stern said WLUP had broken a promise to keep the show on the air at least two to three years to allow its audience to build slowly. Meanwhile, listeners to WLUP-AM during Monday's drivetime heard Danny Bonaduce, who will be on all week and maybe longer."

2. Beth Eats Hay

Beth Eats Hay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Was Chicago a Clear Channel station?

If so, this is probably one of many CC stations that threw his bony ass out.....and didn't pay him. Serves him right for being a greedy cocksucker.

3. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I heard Wiggy discuss this on old shows from around that time.
    Americas judge was scull fucking dead relatives of his enemies and wishing AIDS on their kids .

4. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember when Howard came on in Chicago but I think he first came over on an AM station(that I can't remember) then went over to WLUP. He never did any better than a 1.6 if I remember correctly and a lot of people said it was because he never did a personal appearance in Chicago to promote his show. Combine that with 45 minutes of commercials every hour and only 15 minutes of actual airtime is the biggest reason he never caught on in Chicago. That and his New York centric show couldn't compete with the local giant WGN which owned the morning drive for decades here.

5. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    ah, the good ol' days...:(

6. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Ah, the good old days - when Rosie O'Donald had a pumpkin head full of jelly beans.

7. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    He came over when WLUP AM was first going on the air (previously a sports talk station, plus Steve Dahl). They had Stern, Kevin Matthews, and Dahl initially. The commercial breaks were fucking boggling. BUT, all Chicago stations had the same bullshit, because most were owned by Evergreen Media, and those that weren't, were owned by CC. They justified the commercials by saying salaries were big. They were. Johhny B and Dahl were making millions, and Matthews wasn't too far behind. I remember driving to work at that time, listening to Brandmeier. It took 40-45 mins. to get there and sometimes I would hear no Johnny B. live material. The same set-up as Howard. Recorded old bit, commercials, parody song, more commercials, recorded old bits..... Oddly enough at the best and worst time in Chicago radio, guess who was around behind the scenes at places like WCKG? Tim Sabean. Looks like he's fucking up Howard 100/101 as well.

8. fletchman71

Reputations:
    I remember Howard saying something about Sabean being in Chicago but I thought it was when he was a DJ and changed his name. What a fucking worm. I would like to talk to Dahl and get his opinion on Sabean. Brandmeier is great now on WGN but it sucks that he has to stop whatever he's doing every half hour for the news, weather, traffic, etc. and a 10 minute block of commercials.

9. Stern Fan Dude

Stern Fan Dude New Member

Reputations:
    Mancow owned Howie's ass in Chicago. I used to go back and forth between Mancow and Stern when they put Mancow on in my town. Mancow easily had the second best show and some days it was better than Stern but then he went all angry white man republican and killed his show.

10. fletchman71

Reputations:
    For any other Chicago people, Buzz Killman will be on Brandmeier tomorrow!:cheer: