LED-LCD TV shopping help

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Nemo, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I will soon be taking the FIOS plunge.
    I will also be getting a new HDTV.
    Something around 46 inches.
    Any input from the Dawgsaloon crew would be appreciated.

Samsung?? LG??
    3D....do I need it?

2. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    I've had FIOS for about 6 months now. I had to wait like 2 years before it was available in my area, but it was well worth the wait. Its head and heels above Time Warner, which I previously had.

On to the TV. I'm a Sony man, so I would look into the Bravia series if I were you, but my uncle recently was looking for a TV and got a good price on a Samsung and went with that. I installed it for him and I have to admit I thought it was a very good TV. Nice picture and strong colors.

As for 3D, I think its still a waste unless you have kids. There just isn't enough 3D content out there to make it worthwhile. I don't know how often you switch TVs, but if you are only gonna have this one for 2-3 years, I would wait until the next TV to go 3D. If you plan on keeping this one for 5 years or more, than it would become more worthwhile.

3. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    If 3d is a big deal 5 years what are the chances a new or improved standard will make my 3d antiquated?

1080progressive seems to be the norm?
    refresh 120....240?
    contrast ratio...important to look for anymore?

it has been a few years since I've research at this shit.

4. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    There will probably be upgrades to the 3D over the next 10 years, but nothing that would make a 3D TV you buy now obsolete.

1080p is the norm. A 240 refresh rate is really a waste of money. 120 works fine and the difference between the two is almost undetectable. Don't pay attention to contrast ratios, they are a complete waste of time. First off, there is no standard for the way companies calculate them so a tv with a ratio of 10,000:1 from one company can actually have the same contrast as one from another company with a 1,000:1 ratio. The best way to judge contrast is to watch the tv in the store for a bit and see how the picture looks to you. Your eye is the best judge because that is what is going to be watching it.

5. Druiddroid

Druiddroid New Member

Reputations:
  6. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    My best advice is fight the urge to plunge in and take your time. Go to the stores, see what they have, write down model numbers and then check reviews. I haven't bought anything in the last 10 years tech wise without checking reviews and it has saved my ass numerous times.

Here is a site I have good luck at finding actual user reviews of equipment. http://www.audioreview.com/ As for specific models I can't help as I have a rear projection LCD.

So essentially I've done you no good whatsoever.:facepalm:

7. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    One thing you might want to consider is the Response Time on an lcd tv. A Response Time of 4 m/s or faster is ideal. Anything slower might result is ghosting or trails on the image. Especially with sports programs and video games. Anything with fast moving action.

I've bought a couple of lcd tv's/monitors and this is the stat I'm most concerned with.

Now if you go with a plasma tv, the response time is not a factor. A plasma has a response time of like .00025 m/s. lol More like a conventional tube tv.

Response Time is not likely to appear on the floor display card so you might have to do some research.

Good Luck.