News Legendary US Army Commander Says Russia Would "Annihilate" U.S In Head-To-Head Battle

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Winston Leg-Thigh, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Viewed by many of his colleagues as one of the most innovative Army officers of his generation, retired Army Colonel Douglas Macgregor, a West Point graduate with a Ph.D. in international relations (“he can be pretty gruff,” a fellow West Point graduate says, “but he’s brilliant”), led the 2nd Cav’s “Cougar Squadron” in the best-known battle of Operation Desert Storm in February 1991.

In 23 minutes, Macgregor’s force destroyed an entire Iraqi Armored Brigade (including nearly 70 Iraqi armored vehicles), while suffering a single American casualty. Speaking at a military “lessons learned” conference one year later, Air Force General Jack Welsh described the Battle of 73 Easting (named for a map coordinate) as “a stunning, overwhelming victory.”

In the wake of the battle, however, Macgregor calculated that if his unit had fought a highly trained and better armed enemy, like the Russians, the outcome would have been different. In early September he circulated a PowerPoint presentation showing that in a head-to-head confrontation pitting the equivalent of a U.S. armored division against a likely Russian adversary, the U.S. division would be defeated. “Defeated isn’t the right word,” Macgregor told me last week. “The right word is annihilated.” The 21-slide presentation features four battle scenarios, all of them against a Russian adversary in the Baltics — what one currently serving war planner on the Joint Chiefs staff calls “the most likely warfighting scenario we will face outside of the Middle East.”

“Macgregor scares the hell out of the Army,” says a senior Joint Chiefs war planner. “What he has proposed is nothing less than the dismantling of the Big Green Machine, getting the Army to embrace a future of lighter, more agile forces than the big lumbering behemoth which takes forever to spool up and deploy. I’ll bet the armor and airborne guys are furious. Reform my ass: Macgregor has walked into the zoo and slapped the gorilla.”

“Doug Macgregor is a pain in the ass,” retired Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt notes, “but that doesn’t make him wrong. Serious people take him seriously.”

http://www.politico.eu/article/inside-the-pentagons-fight-over-russia-us-eastern-europe/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...s-russia-would-annihilate-us-head-head-battle

In June 2014, a month after he had left his force-planning job at the Pentagon, the Air Force asked David Ochmanek, deputy assistant secretary of defense for force development, for advice on Russia’s neighborhood ahead of Obama’s September visit to Tallinn, Estonia. At the same time, the Army had approached another of Ochmanek’s colleagues at Rand, and the two teamed up to run a thought exercise called a “table top,” a sort of war game between two teams: the red team (Russia) and the blue team (NATO).

The scenario was similar to the one that played out in Crimea and eastern Ukraine: increasing Russian political pressure on Estonia and Latvia (two NATO countries that share borders with Russia and have sizable Russian-speaking minorities), followed by the appearance of provocateurs, demonstrations, and the seizure of government buildings. “Our question was: Would NATO be able to defend those countries?” Ochmanek recalls.

The results were dispiriting. Given the recent reductions in the defense budgets of NATO member countries and American pullback from the region, Ochmanek says the blue team was outnumbered 2-to-1 in terms of manpower, even if all the U.S. and NATO troops stationed in Europe were dispatched to the Baltics — including the 82nd Airborne, which is supposed to be ready to go on 24 hours’ notice and is based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

“We just don’t have those forces in Europe,” Ochmanek explains. Then there’s the fact that the Russians have the world’s best surface-to-air missiles and are not afraid to use heavy artillery. After eight hours of gaming out various scenarios, the blue team went home depressed. “The conclusion,” Ochmanek says, “was that we are unable to defend the Baltics.”

Ochmanek has run the two-day table-top exercise eight times now, including at the Pentagon and at Ramstein Air Base, in Germany, with active-duty military officers. “We played it 16 different times with eight different teams,” Ochmanek says, “always with the same conclusion.”

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/09/18...war-plans-for-a-baltic-battle-against-russia/

[​IMG]

Sickboy, Wiggy, jlightningzz and 2 others like this.
  2. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    They are fucking great at shooting down civilian airliners that's for sure.

yaddc, kingship, Stew Nod and 13 others like this.
  3. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    They have a "window of opportunity" until January, 2017.

4. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can we not nuke each other?

5. Habsfan

Habsfan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They have a lot of people that can be armed quickly. Most of Russian solders in Syria are special forces spetnaz and they are real killers

Jewlican likes this.
  6. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, let's hope it never comes to that.

Winston Leg-Thigh likes this.
  8. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gusbuss and Winston Leg-Thigh like this.
  9. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Every Russian I've met in LA is either a stripper or a doughy drunk. I'm not losing sleep over either.

10. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    what the fuckity fuck, this guy is working the pentagon budget as all military types do.
    we would wax the ill equipped Russians in less time than the Iraqis. give me a fucken break.

Tipsey Russell, Droog, sino8r and 4 others like this.
  11. Joshb

Joshb Active Member

Reputations:
    Interesting but I think there might be a bit of hyperbole here to get the army to change how they operate. Others have tried to get our military to become lighter and faster (most famously Donald Rumsfeld) but have not succeeded. I'm sure Russia's has a powerful military but I still think we would have technological, air and naval superiority over them. And iirc 2013 was the first time since before the Cold War that Russia had a year over year spending increase on their military.

12. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

this.... Russian strippers will tear your dick off in a lap dance if not careful

Joe Bauers and MilkyDischarge like this.
  13. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That's because we haven't fought to win a war since WWII

14. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All the ones I see on periscope don't look like they have a pot to piss in but they all have iPhones

15. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Turkeyneck, sino8r, Dorb and 3 others like this.
  16. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    l
    let me check the power point

17. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WE should fight with light weight plastic forks.

isabella, x76 and Mr Sinister like this.
  18. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I think your right but they have changed a lot, we are using "tactile advisors" now instead of boots on the ground, basically spec ops teams, apparently you don't need congresses permission for that.
    ground warfare is not going to happen anymore, McGregor took out a whole armored regiment because of airstrikes. what's happening now with ground troops is just a song and dance to perpetuate the big money to war contractors and to put in place our guy, unfortunately "our guy" just takes our cash and runs.
    Russian troops may be many but they have shit machinery and guns. I would still not be surprised if the Metro jet was a case of a faulty tail section repair. Russia sucks

SalsMasterShake and sino8r like this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The Iraqis in 2003 mostly did not even adjust their tanks' computers for range, using a set distance that was far short of the actual range M1's opened up on them. Arabs make notoriously bad soldiers for various cultural reasons. One big one being a distaste for learning, which is a big component of modern warfare.

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Actually 73 Easting was a ground battle with M1 tanks and Bradleys firing TOW missiles doing most of the work.