Lenovo shipping new computers with Adware called Superfish

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Feb 19, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    superfish-certificate-fd.jpg
    No one likes crapware--the adware and trial software that PC and smartphone vendors put on their devices. Until recently, though we rarely got actual malware installed on new computers. Now, thanks to Lenovo and Superfish Visual Discovery adware, we didn't merely get injected ads in our search engine results, we also had our computer doors opened to man-in-the-middle Secure-Socket Layer/Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS) attacks.

Users always disliked Superfish. As early as September 2014, Lenovo buyers were complaining about Superfish's fishy search results. Lenovo, however, didn't admit to installing Superfish, and its problems, until January 2015. Then, Mark Hopkins, a Lenovo social media program manager, admitted that Superfish had "some issues (browser pop up behavior for example)," so Lenovo temporarily removed Superfish from their systems.

What Lenovo didn't say was that Superfish was installing its own self-signed root certificate authority (CA), This enabled the Superfish software to void SSL/TLS connections and gave hackers a hole to be used in man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack and view the contents of any "encrypted" connections.

This hole was discovered on January 21 by a Lenovo user. Lenovo, however, while no longer installing it on new systems, didn't alert users of the potential danger. This hole can be used against you no matter which Web browser you're using.

Then, the problem with Lenovo consumer laptops running Windows 8.1 sold between September 2014 and January 2015, was shown to be even worse than expected. Google security engineer, Chris Palmer, showed on Twitter that Superfish was intercepting SSL/TLS connections and injecting its own self-signed certificates for all sites on his Yoga 2 laptop. This included such sites as the one for Bank of America.
    Read this

Until Superfish fix, Lenovo devices can't be trusted for secure work

Enterprise customers are not said to be affected, but millions of consumers and bring-your-own-device users are likely using compromised machines.

On February 19th, the problem went from merely terrible security practice and a potential problem to being a real security hole. Robert Graham, a security hacker, extracted the password that Superfish uses for its CA and published it. This means that, as Graham put it, "I can intercept the encrypted communications of SuperFish's victims (people with Lenovo laptops) while hanging out near them at a café wifi hotspot."

So, since if you're in a coffee shop right now using your new Lenovo to look at a secured Web site open in another tab, you could be having your password stolen at this moment, here's how to zap Superfish.

First, you need to get rid of the program. To do that, first take the following steps:

Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program
    Select Visual Discovery > Uninstall

According to Lenovo, that's all you need do and besides"We have thoroughly investigated this technology and do not find any evidence to substantiate security concerns." In part, Lenovo states this because "Superfish has completely disabled server side interactions (since January) on all Lenovo products so that the product is no longer active. This disables Superfish for all products in market."

I don't buy it. If that's the case then Palmer never should have been misdirected while browsing with his Lenovo laptop on February 18th.

This issue aside, the bad certificate will still be on your Windows system. To get rid of it, run the Microsoft Management Console, Mmc.exe (you need an administrator's credentials to do this), and do the following:

Go to File -> Add/Remove Snap-in
    Pick Certificates, click Add
    Pick Computer Account, click Next
    Pick Local Computer, click Finish
    Click OK
    Look under Trusted Root Certification Authorities -> Certificates
    Find the one issued to Superfish and delete it.

Beth Onostrosky likes this.
  2. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    PITY FUCKING POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::jj::funny::bounce:

3. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    linux,yes

Quedee likes this.
  4. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    This is important, and thanks for publishing it. From what I can gather, the only really bad thing going on is the untrustworthy CA being installed, and the resulting ability to sign phony certs for a MITM attack. It's NOT the case that they could invalidate certs from other CAs, is it?

5. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I wish IBM had never sold their laptop business to Lenovo.

EndOfLine likes this.
  6. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Do people outside of the corporate world buy Lenovo? They are hugely overpriced.
    I've worked at a couple of large companies that use exclusively Lenovo computers, and they are wiped clean and have the company's image installed before they ever touch the network

7. dawg

Reputations:
    That's not the point bro, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The point is they all do it.

Dell, HP on and on

Peau de Soie likes this.
  8. AGT Blows

Reputations:
    IBM invented the pencil eraser mouse pointer (I've heard it called the clit, haha) in the middle of the keyboard. It's so much better that a touchpad, especially on the more recent Lenovo models.
    I don't know why other companies don't add it to their designs.

Droog likes this.
  9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    They did. Often there are both touchpad and clit on the same machine. I much prefer a touchpad, even over a mouse.

10. AGT Blows

Reputations:
    If Dell and HP are up to this level of shady behavior, I would be surprise. Lenovo is owned by the Chinese. China is not known for excellent business practices.

11. dawg

Reputations:
    They are up to the level of this shadiness and more.

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Nah, we've been through this many times before, with adware companies slipping full bore to the dark side, sometimes slowly and sometimes from the get-go but under the radar. Every bit of bundled crapware should be viewed with suspicion, from every brand. Besides, every last one is made in China anyway.

13. dawg

Reputations:
    Crapware is the most shameful practice of them all

Droog likes this.
  14. AGT Blows

Reputations:
    I've seen the clit on some HP laptops in the past, but not any others. I have a Lenovo laptop at work, and I use the clit all day long. People are always asking why my laptop has a Pooh Bear sticker on it.

15. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I agree. I hate the touchpad. Makes typing on a laptop a pain in the ass. The IBM Thinkpads had wonderful keyboards, nice screens, and good performance. They were expensive but they were really nice computers.