Politics Let's Talk Trump - Is America a "Business"?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ChimneySweep, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    OK, I am old enough to remember Ross Perot pretty well, but not old enough to have cared much about him at the time. I know there was a lot of this same “straight-talkin’ business man” stuff being thrown around back in his day though, but things were very different at that time with regards to “business” and the federal government.

Assuming Trump is serious (and who can know?), I have given some serious thought to a few things I haven’t heard anyone really discussing on the usual shows/forums. Yeah, some of us like a straight-shooter and everyone is sick of the usual political tap-dance around any and every issue. NO ONE really wants yet another Bush let alone one even more liberal than the last, despite what the libs say/think. These fake "polls" showing him in the lead are fabrications,IMO to draw the right wing voters to a definite loser and into backing someone without a snowball's chance in hell of beating even Hillary (that cunt).

Some background...bear with me...My father-in-law was born in East-Central Europe, got his degree in Italy during Mussolini’s era, was captured by the Russians on patrol at the very start of WWII and spent seven years in a gulag where everyone else was worked to death building a railroad north of Siberia (he only survived because of his degree which was in large animal veterinary medicine). He was released at the end of the war, came to America in '48 with nothing, worked his ass off for a couple decades and was very successful by the '70s owning 3 different animal hospitals. He was a very smart man (and very honest in his business) and LOVED this country the way only a successful self-made immigrant of his era could. He and I spoke about politics a LOT and were both very conservative. Some things we saw eye to eye on and some things not so much and of course he had WAY more knowledge and experience than I will probably ever have. He passed away before Obama's name was even a distant whisper and I can only image what he would think of the nation at this point.

The reason I bring this up is because he traveled the world frequently, and actually lived under several different types of government in his nearly 90 years. One of the things he used to tell me all the time before he died was that America was moving towards "Corporate Fascism". I didn't totally understand what he meant and he said basically it was a system where businesses are 100% owned and controlled by the government. He didn't necessarily think it was even a bad thing, but just that this was where we were headed in his opinion. I’ve seen the mom and pop store all but go extinct just in my lifetime with more and more HUGE box stores competing to be the “one stop shops” with little to no competition. Eventually I can imagine not the McDonalds/Burger King model we are so used to, but more like “Burgers and Fries”, period. So, I guess he was saying it would be similar to what we already have only with the government in charge and as “owners” of most or all business and industry.

So, back to Trump. Has this all just been a setup to lead up to someone like the Donald? Has corporate America been so weakened particularly in the last couple of decades that we are ready cry out for a "savior" who can get us "back on track" (financially)? I hear a LOT of people saying things like "We need a strong businessman like Trump to straighten out our economy". After the situation with the auto manufacturers under Obama and more and more talk about government bail-outs/take-overs , it isn't too far-fetched to imagine someone like Trump coming in saying all the right things and being given a green-light to "clean house" and make America financially strong again.

BUT...IS America a business or a nation? The President's job is not that of a upper-level manager who listens to no one, does what he wants and as long as the bottom line is good at the end of the quarter all else is forgiven. I don't personally dislike or like Trump. I see him as kind of a cartoon character. He is really a caricature of the big mouthed blow-hard who can "get the job done". It sounds good when your wallet is thin, but is this REALLY what America needs? I could totally support someone like Trump as an advisor or as head of some economic committee where his strengths could be fully utilized, but in my opinion a nation is NOT a business and therefore does NOT need a "businessman" in order for it to run correctly.

Donald doesn't know the word "no" and we all know these guys don't just get free-reign once they are in office. And they shouldn't. What does he really know about the military aside from tough talk about “taking care” of our enemies? What about International affairs? Diplomacy (can you even imagine?). He speaks in one-liners like Bruce Willis in some Die hard movie, but that is not the real world.

I am not a political or economic expert by any stretch, but does anyone else agree that most "conservatives" are ignoring some very serious questions about Trump? I'm not arguing W vs Obama or any of that and I know much of this stuff began with Bush (or before) so maybe some of you with more knowledge of the issue can elaborate on what I am hinting at.

Howard related because he ignores the big questions every day.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  2. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    What do you mean by "if he's serious who can know"? This is the FOURTH time he's announced he's running for President only to drop out after the press stops caring.

3. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Yes and no. Maybe, in a sense.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    scoobyla and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  4. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    I'm glad that's what you took away from that long -ass post. :hehe:

Obviously this is why I said "IF". There would be no reason to doubt it otherwise. And he is just the trigger for the question I am raising.

5. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    #2 in the polls today

6. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I believe Trump's businesses have declared bankruptcy 4X.. from '91 to '09. Entrusting the nation to a businessman is not necessarily a bad idea, especially if that person is someone like the great Warren Buffet. However, it sure shouldn't be Trump.

7. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    He had me at build a wall. Don't care about anything else at this point.

fredrogers, Biff DiBiase and yaddc like this.
  8. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Donalds got the right idea Jobs but the p
    lol

9. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Sounds great (with one an exit facing South) but could he really just "do it"?

10. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Not sure if you got that the "him" in that sentence was referring to Jeb. I know Donald is #2 (allegedly)

11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    /search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=greatwall+of+china&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

12. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    Don't know, but at the least making any effort to enforce the laws and to deport them when caught would be a huge improvement. I'd be okay with amnesty if they just fucking tuned off the faucet.

scoobyla likes this.
  13. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Ours will be visible from space too . We just won't have any way to see it for ourselves.

yaddc likes this.
  14. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    no, no, no. WAY too much water in the basement at this point. Gotta pump a LOT of it back out wall or no wall.

ltd86 and AllAboutHim Ed like this.
  15. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    Agreed, but I'd take anything at this point.

16. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    He should be in the business of selling bad wigs.:haha:

17. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    is love to discuss it, but we may as well discuss moe from the 3 stooge's platform

18. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    worked for israel

[​IMG]

oh wait..

19. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Hes never announced before this.

20. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Id take Trump over Jeb, Hillary, or Rubio in a second.

That has more to do with them than it does him though