Liberty takes over Sirius

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by guruhugz, Jul 12, 2012.

1. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Malone is pissed at Mel K. Look for Mel to be gone soon.Malone will go after wiggy and it will be brutal.

2. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Link?:coffee:

3. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    he could very well piss on Wiggy, and there will be nothing clandestine about it :)

4. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    Mel has made it public that he will not be #2 so it looks like his time is up. Maybe this was the bad news that rattled stern a month ago :dontknow:

5. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  6. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Brutal? All he can do is pay out Howard's contract and take him off the air for the remainder of it. The non-compete clause will end the rest of the radio career until some station that is desperate throws some marbles at him to come out of retirement.

I don't think even think that will happen as Malone will not want to keep making Howard relevant dragging his name through the courts.

7. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    Why do you guys want Howard off the air?

8. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I would link it but I'm on my iPad. Just read the article and it said Malone wants to spin Sirius off into its own company. What does that mean?

9. Jello Biafra

Jello Biafra Member

Reputations:

Sirius XM Radio Inc
    (NASDAQ:SIRI): According to billionaire John Malone, his effort to gain control of Sirius XM Radio Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI) could lead to a spinoff of the company. Six weeks ago, Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (LMCA) announced its intentions to gain control of Sirius following its reception of FCC approval. Yesterday, Molone said that the goal is a spinoff of Sirius, keeping with the history of Liberty transforming its properties, including DirectTV and Liberty Global Inc., into its own publicly held company.

Malone Criticizes Karmazin's Approach to Sirius

UN VALLEY, Idaho— John Malone's beef with Mel Karmazin isn't just about who controls Sirius XM Radio Inc. They also have differences over how the satellite-radio company should be run.In an interview with The Wall Street Journal at the annual Allen & Co. conference in Sun Valley on Thursday, Mr. Malone, who is chairman of Liberty Media Corp., said he is more concerned about evolving technologies than Mr. Karmazin, who has been Sirius's chief executive since 2004, appeared to be.
    "I'm a very long-term investor, despite my age," said Mr. Malone, who is 71.
    Battle Over Sirius

"So I tend to be looking out 10 or 20 years, whereas I think Mel in all honesty right now has got a pretty short-term focus. I think they do an excellent job of running the company but we would be making more investments and...would at least look at globalizing."
    In the last few months, Mr. Karmazin has battled publicly over whether Liberty, Sirius's biggest shareholder, should take control of the company. Liberty gave Sirius a lifeline in early 2009 with several hundred million dollars in loans and in exchange got preferred shares equivalent to a 40% stake in the company. Liberty has since increased the stake to more than 46% and asked the Federal Communications Commission for permission to exercise effective control. Sirius has opposed the FCC application, arguing Liberty hasn't taken concrete steps to get control.
    In Thursday's interview, Mr. Malone displayed his frustration with Mr. Karmazin's attitude. "What gives Mel the right to say, hey, John, you've got to go away? ....This is a John-Mel thing. Control is control is control is control. And my whole life has been about control."
    Mr. Malone said he wants Sirius to use its significant cash flow to return money to Liberty. "If we have to spend our money to go from 40% to 50% and decide we want to spin it off, we'd like to get that capital back before we spin it off," he said.
    A Sirius spokesman didn't respond to a request for comment.
    Until now, Liberty has said little about whether Mr. Karmazin's vision of the company is aligned with its own. Mr. Karmazin has guided the company to prosperity from the brink of collapse: Sirius is expected to generate about $700 million in cash this year after deep losses a few years ago. But there are questions about how it will cope with growing competition from Web-based streaming services like Pandora.

More here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303644004577523262536360858.html

10. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
  11. Obi Drunkenobe

Reputations:
    Dont think we really want him off the air but we do enjoy watching him squirm.

12. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thanks guys for doing the work of the lazy fucking OP!

13. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    truth reps!

14. YokoOhNo

YokoOhNo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i still like sirius music and other talk shows.....i need the dj's and infotainment they provide. i also like their playlists and variety.

why hasn't mel allowed canada and mexico to join....is howard claiming he needs more marbles to be broadcast outside the us?

15. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    Do all current contracts become NULL & VOID if the sirius becomes a different company?

16. Obi Drunkenobe

Reputations:
    Good question I've got a lifetime sub :ohnoes:

17. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    "Liberty, Sirius XM, Robin. Is it two companies or three?"

He'll take credit for the Liberty takeover and demand another bonus!

18. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    10 weeks vacation a year.
    3 days a week when he's on.
    It's sort of like he's off the air already.

19. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah but why should he be rewarded with being taken off the air and still getting paid? Make the old man serve out his full contract and that will fuck him over worse.

20. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    3 X 42 = 126 shows.

Youre out of your mind if you think he is only taking 10 weeks a year. Its probably 13 weeks.