Listened to my first Carolla last week...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by jat87, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    ...don't think I'll be coming back to Stern any time soon.

I had trouble (AHEM) getting my latest Stern one day, and I had a long drive ahead of me. So I gave Adam a spin, downloading his interview with David Lee Roth. He steamrolls a bit when he goes on a funny rant, but it comes out as a net positive. Dave was game to play along, and the episode contained a great treatise on why terrestrial radio sucks.

The next episode I tried was a live show at the Improv, and it wasn't as good. But so far, all of the in-studio episodes have been well worth my time. I often find myself waiting in the parking lot to catch a few more slivers of comedy before I go back to work/in the house.

2. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For whatever reason, I avoid all the "live" Carolla shows. I do not know if it is the sound or what, but I don't enjoy them as much. However, he produces more shows than I can listen to so I just pick the guests I like. I find Penn's Sunday School can be a good alternate.

3. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Have you tried Joe Rogan Experience? I think he has the best podcast there is. ABout 10x better than Wig shit show these days.

4. Markyjonz

Markyjonz Active Member

Reputations:
    I download all his podcast and listen when I have some free time. I thought the David Lee Roth interview was great

5. kicksave7

kicksave7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's perfect for radio because he is way too ugly for TV...not a good looking guy.

6. Kobrakai NYC 3

Kobrakai NYC 3 Active Member

Reputations:
    I started DL'ing Carolla whenever he has a "good" guest on, and i'm now doing it more and more even when he doesn't. He grows on you. I also rec Bill Burrs Monday Morning Podcast, The Nerdist & WTF. You can just cherry pick the guests you like. God knows if you listen to Stern you have time. :pctired:

7. Chuck Kongo

Chuck Kongo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Carolla used to be really funny when he would sit in for entire Stern Shows like 10 years ago. He always seemed to bring his A game for the show. He and Dave Chappelle were the two best sit-ins during that era but Adam was always way more involved than Dave who was very laid back when he sat in.

But he hasn't been funny anywhere else in anything else since.

And a decade of watching Jimmy Kimmell skyrocket to fame and fortune after kicking him to the curb has turned him into one incredible angry and bitter prick.

8. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    I listened to one with Greg Fitzsimmons. They were saying some funny stuff, but because of the live audience, a lot of it came off poorly. It sounded like Adam was yelling in a fervor like a comedian nearing the end of a long, successful set piece...only this was his first couple of observations about his wife leaving the iron on. That show (and I suspect other live Carollas) felt too much about the audience and didn't make the best take-home podcast.

9. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    the live show podcasts suck, bad sound & carolla drinks more so he slurs & yells the joke, i would pass on those. probably better in person tho i'm sure...

10. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    you burn out after a few months of carolla, you just get sick of every interview turning into one of his monologues and the first 30min of the show being about his kids or flying somewhere.

11. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
  12. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
  13. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well, he's a hell of a lot better looking than Howie the Wigged Pelican! And he's a great musician:

[video=youtube_share;rFI7oeiM3YU]http://youtu.be/rFI7oeiM3YU[/video]

:c

14. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    Another question: Alison Rosen - yay or nay?

15. 143

143 New Member

Reputations:
    his show is great. but he's got to get someone to engineer it. the jumps in volume are crazy. I'll listen at work and out of nowhere it sounds like he's eating the mic and over modulated. then I'm riding the volume for the next hour trying to not disturb the coworkers.

16. 143

143 New Member

Reputations:
    looks wise?

yay

17. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Make sure to listen to anything with David Alan Grier with Adam and/or Drew.

Even (especially) the old love lines.

18. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if Adam's ex-best friend Donnie "the weaz" is still suing him for I guess "services rendered" or something??? I remember reading about a huge falling out those 2 had a couple months ago but its fizzled??!

19. JB50

JB50 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    As far as I know its still an ongoing thing. Adam never talks about it though. Not directly anyway.

20. GQtaste

GQtaste Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Live shows are horrible. They simply don't mesh well if you're not in the audience at the time. His fomat for reg. shows is tired and too restricting. He bullshits for an hour then brings on the guest asks them two questions and then on to "news" Quivers style. If it's a dull guest fine but all too often what's the point for a person to come in there and wait and wait then next thing you know they're following the old format Stern style.

I perfer the 1 on 1's over the previously mentioned.

Also w/ his sudden emergence into political affairs and his liquor he's always peddling now is a turnoff for me. I get that you want to be proactive and always improving but it the things about podcasts is there is no rules you have to follow.