Listening to Pieces of Vinyl

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by check1, Nov 13, 2014.

1. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I just dusted off the 'ol technics 1200 and the crate of records that I haven't had hooked up in 10 years.
    I am now listening to 'pieces of vinyl'. My 11 year old fucking flipped. He's bloody thrilled.

Howard related because he's a fucking idiot. Vinyl sounds 20x as good as a digital file.

Currently listening to:

[​IMG]

What's your favourite 'piece of vinyl'?

Turkeyneck, LaserT, JameGumb and 7 others like this.
  2. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
  3. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Update: Wife just texted to tell me it too 'basey'.
    I just got done explaining the better low end of vinyl to my kid. :)

4. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I certainly wouldn't have thought to try that!

5. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    listened to a robert johnshon piece of vinyl tonight

6. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    Sorry, but I'm with Howard on this. Crackling is not a good thing. Besides, his whole point was that Gary and Hein were being audiophile snobs pretending to hear something that they didn't for the sake of their image and their historically low rated shit TV show. He was right to do it.

scoobyla and Gusbuss like this.
  7. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Up next. WTF is this?

[​IMG]

8. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Nice. I will likely end up with old blues and jazz as the hours go on.
    I just found a bb king album with a bunch of 2 1/4 negative in the sleeve that I took when I met him 15 years ago....or so.

scoobyla likes this.
  9. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Then take care of your audio equipment. Vinyl sounds way better. You're wrong. You can tell because Howard Stern agrees with you :)

10. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    Hard to pick a favourite - I am up to 350.

11. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It's all about mastering and vinyl sounds better a lot of the times because the engineers working on this stuff back in day were masters of the analog craft. Then those same albums were stomped on by know-nothings working with shitty digital filters. Usually changing the original sound way too much, trying to justify their job. Then, for whatever reason, these awful digital mastering trends caught on

In the end, digital can sound great and better than vinyl. But in practice, a lot of times it doesn't. I hate crackle and I hate fucking with records and a turntable, but I also hate recordings that have been ruined with shoddy digital mastering.

That said, I'm still kicking myself for not buying an SL-1200 when they were still being made. I have a much crappier 70s Technics TT that keeps giving me problems and is currently out of commission.

MobyDick likes this.
  12. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:

punk band from Vancouver! The Smugglers were really fucking fun....I saw them a bunch of times. how'd that record find it's way in your collection if you don't know them?

13. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:

:juggalo:

check1 likes this.
  14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    This has always been my favorite example of shock jockery, primarily because it emphasizes how out of touch and elderly these radio dicks are.

They think they're being hip & edgy by discarding "outdated" products that surely the kids haven't even heard of, but the reality is most teenagers / young adults think vinyl records are cool as hell. I'm in my twenties, believe me, people my age are way more likely to own a record player than a CD player. MP3s and digital files are convenience, every hipster douche I've ever met loves to pontificate on the "magic" and "warmth" of buying & putting on old records.

Sort of correct. People tend to make it a vinyl superiority vs. digital inferiority issue, but it's a master tapes issue.

Most of those old records sound better than discs because they were freshly cut from the original masters the second they were completed. When it came down to press CDs, a lot of the original tapes were lost decades ago, so you've got copies of copies being used instead, with all sorts of wacky EQ & alterations to the original sound as a result. Shit released from the dawn of recorded music until the late 80's is pretty much always going to sound better on record as a result.

Likewise, when you buy 'new' vinyl records they usually took the same 16-bit digital masters used for the iTunes store and toss them on vinyl, instead of creating a unique analogue master like you're supposed to, so kids are yes, basically paying for the same shit with snaps, crackles & pops.

But either way, just because YOU can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Box of Rox and blindbella like this.
  15. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm sure it's partially that digital is generally played on inferior systems too. In fact, most of it is probably played through shitty little ear buds now.
    You're right about the remasters though....no doubt. There is something visceral about vinyl though too. There's an inherent richness despite production.

It's funny...I'm selling all sorts of shit because I think we're moving overseas next year and I'm getting rid of my massive stockpile of 'stuff'. I dug out the 1200 and plugged it in to test 12 hours ago and me, the kids and wife are big into it. Now I don't want to sell it. Not to travel friendly though either (thing must be 35 pounds). I didn't even realize they were out of production until yesterday. I bought it for 300 10 years ago and I can sell it for about 700 now. Crazy.

16. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I think you nailed it with that. Howard is scared to sound 'old' not realizing that vinyl's come back in a big way. He's probably repeating what he would have said in '93 about records.
    Also..I think hipster douches got this one right :)

blindbella likes this.
  17. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Someone gave this to me a few years ago..never listened. Cracking the seal and putting it on.
    [​IMG]

blindbella and HeyThere like this.
  18. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

DuckDong likes this.
  19. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Don't sell it!

check1 likes this.
  20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Considering the cult around them, I should buy another and hold them like stock.
    I sold 2 in the past already (20 years ago).