Local Philadelphia sports talk host pulls a Jackie and walks out over contract.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Dec 9, 2013.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Walks out of the station during his shift over contract dispute. Glen Macnow who is partnered with Anthony Gargano on CBS owned WIP 94.1 walked out on shift with 20 minutes to go. These guys worked the same shift as Mike and Maddog on WFAN. I just find it amusing that hosts on radio who are already in the best job they are ever going to have think they are going to get more money if they walk. They are all replaceable. Everyone knows that $250,000-$300,000 radio shifts grow on trees. CBS/Infinity play hardball. Howard always laughs at these guys who end up like Jackie. Glen Macnow is about to find out the hard way. This situation could still be resolved but there is always someone cheaper who can do your job.

WIP host Glen Macnow just left his afternoon hosting stint along with Anthony Gargano, citing a contract dispute for his early departure. Macnow's contract is up at the end of the year and he's currently in negotiations.
    I reached out to Macnow via e-mail:
    "As I said on the air, my contract with WIP is finishing up. WIP management and I have agreed that I should take some time off the air until my contract situation at the station is resolved. I just finished my 20th year at the station. Just let me say that I've cherished the opportunity to work with three great partners in Jody McDonald, Ray Didinger and Anthony Gargano. I love the people at WIP and I particularly love the Philadelphia fans I get to talk with every day. I hope to continue talking with them."
    Before his stint at WIP, Macnow was a sports reporter at the Inquirer. He did the pre-show game at the Linc on Sunday before the Eagles-Lions game and was still scheduled to be on-air, according to CBS' website.

When I asked Macnow why he left before the show was over (at 4:40 to be exact), Macnow said he wanted to allow Gargano time to segue into the Howie Roseman Show. "I actually wanted to do it as unobtrusively as possible, just to let people know what was going on," Macnow said. "And I certainly didn't want to not work today after that great Eagles game yesterday. I live for shows like today."
    Macnow told me had accrued a lot of vacation and planned to use it.
    “It is our intention to keep the substance of our conversation private while we are in active discussions,†said Marc Rayfield, CBS Radio Philadelphia’s Senior Vice President and Marketing Manager. “Glen is a great friend to WIP and it is our hope that he is a member of our team for years to come.â€

[​IMG]

2. JasperBugg

JasperBugg Member

Reputations:
    It'd be funny if they replaced him with Mancow

[​IMG]

3. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  4. the Artie Chair

the Artie Chair New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Glen, you're doing sports talk in Philadelphia radio (is there a better gig) not curing cancer. I can throw a stick in Chickies & Pete's and chances are I will hit a guy at the bar who can do it better than you. Get back to work dummy.

5. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
  6. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Turd, Turd! Are you ok Turd?!?!? OMG he ran into a wall!

7. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Glen is actually one of the FEW guys on that station who isn't so horrible.

8. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I would listen to a Philly sports station, but they probably talk about Philly teams, and who wants to listen to that?

I stream WFAN on TuneIn Radio. It is much better than Radio.com. Except the Normie and Chime Time show in the morning. I can't stand them, I'd rather listen to Steve Somers put me back to sleep.

9. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jackie really walked out in the middle of a show? I missed that :(

I wouldn't ever pay this guy a dime for quitting mid show. Give a notice.

10. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...he could have opened himself to a lawsuit by doing that. doubtful it will happen but i know there is something in the law to protect the employer from any damages caused by actions the employee should have reasonably known would harm said employer.

11. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What Jackie did was similar. What was bizarre about the Macnow is he left with just a few minutes left on shift. It was a protest over salary negotiations. Taking your vacation time when it wasn't planned and leaving your co-host high and dry to do the show by himself is the ultimate fuck you to the station. This was not amicable and no matter what statements were made by both parties bridges have been burned. To prove a point the results are that your next contract you make less money than you would have if you did nothing. It's like when unions go on strike at a factory or plant. They stay away so long that the small raise they eventually get doesn't come close to compensating the money they lost while they were on strike. Jackie is just the "Poster Boy" for thinking that the show needs you more than you need the show.