'LONE RANGER' Summer's Third Big Bomb...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Jul 7, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]Box Office Report: 'Lone Ranger' Marks Third Big-Budget Bomb of Summer[/h] 8:31 AM PDT 7/6/2013 by Pamela McClintock

[​IMG]
    Disney Enterprises, Inc.
    "The Lone Ranger"

[h=2]UPDATED: Disney's Johnny Depp Western has grossed a dismal $30.2 million domestically in its first three days, compared to $89 million for Universal's "Despicable Me 2."[/h] The outlook for The Lone Ranger remained grim on Friday as the Johnny Depp/Armie Hammer Western grossed roughly $10.6 million for a projected five-day debut in the $50 million range, far from enough to make up for the movie's hefty production budget.
    Conversely, Universal and Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me 2 continued its dazzling run, grossing $30.2 million on Friday for an expected five-day opening north of $140 million -- one of the best showings ever for an animated film and on par with what Toy Story 3 earned in its first five days.It's also helping to fuel one of the best July Fourth holiday stretches on record in terms of overall box-office revenue.
    Overseas, Despicable 2 is also looking like a mega hit, grossing $18.7 million from 45 markets on Friday for an early international total of $94.4 million through Friday and a worldwide total of $184.2 million. The family film will fly by the $200 million mark sometime on Saturday.

Lone Ranger -- costing at least $250 million to produce -- marks the summer's third major disappointment after Will Smith tentpole After Earth and Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum's White House Down -- both Sony pics -- and is almost certain to pose a major financial headache for Disney. Considering Depp's status overseas, Lone Ranger could make up ground internationally, although the first numbers aren't looking good.
    With Lone Ranger, Disney had hoped to whip up the same magic that producer Jerry Bruckheimer, director Gore Verbinski and Depp created with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. In this latest film, Depp applies his penchant for playing quirky characters to the role of Tonto (Depp says he is part Native American), while Hammer plays the Lone Ranger.
    At one point, before Verbinski began shooting, the plug was almost pulled on Lone Ranger because of budget concerns. The filmmakers agreed to bring the budget down to $215 million, but the price tag steadily rose once shooting began (all the stunts are real). Another issue is the film's lengthy running time of 149 minutes.
    Despicable 2 is easily walking away with the glory, both domestically and internationally.
    It's also smashing a number of records. In North America, the movie scored the second-highest Thursday gross in history behind Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($29.1 million). (That doesn't include films that opened on Thursday.) And on Wednesday, Universal's sequel scored the third-highest opening day for an animated feature behind Toy Story 3 and Shrek the Third (both those films opened on a Friday).
    Internationally, Despicable 2 is opening No. 1 in 35 of the 38 markets it's rolling out in this weekend, nabbing some of the best numbers ever for an animated film, including scoring the top opening of all time in Mexico and smaller territories including Indonesia, South Africa and Vietnam. It's also holding strong in five of the seven markets where it rolled out a week ago.
    In the toon, Steve Carell returns to voice the role of Gru, master of the minions, while Kristen Wiig voices the role of Agent Lucy Wilde.

The third new entry of the July Fourth holiday frame is Summit Entertainment's stand-up comedy film Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, which is turning in a solid performance, grossing $3.7 million on Friday for a five-day cume of $17.4 million (it's only playing in 876 theaters). Summit is hoping to provide counter-programming for African-American audiences as well as comedy fans. The film, from Codeblack Films and HartBeat Productions, was shot live at New York's Madison Square Garden.
    At the specialty box office, Fox Searchlight's The Way, Way Back opened in 19 theaters on Friday, grossing $175,862 for a location average of $9,256. The coming-of-age dramedy, produced by OddLot Entertainment, was directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash and stars Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell.

2. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    Looks awful to me but I also can't stand Johnny Depp.

3. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have no friggin desire to see this movie. Ever.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Lol...hollywood enough with the remakes

5. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He can still come over for a shag. :hitit:

6. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Whomever initially greenlit this thing at $200+ million should be quarantined held for psychological evaluation.

7. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The Heat is the big hit

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not shocking. The trailers were awful. I don't think people care about the Lone Ranger especially with a relative unknown actor starring as the main character. Yeah, I know Armie Hammer was in The Social Network, but I bet few people even know his name. It isn't like Superman where the character is so well known that they could almost put anyone in the suit along with a bunch of slick trailers to draw the crowds in.

This movie had bust written all over it. I am actually surprised it did as well as it did.

I also knew White House Down was going to be a bust. The trailers were all over the place (some were pure action while others were all comedy bits) and I don't think people give a crap about Channing Tatum.

I was actually kinda surprised After Earth bombed as bad as it did. I thought the scifi element would overcome the fact that M Night Shamadingdong is a hack who lived off his gimmick endings in his movies for far too long and a crappy script.

9. Kokonut

Kokonut Active Member

Reputations:
    They should have had a cameo by Fonzie because he was a big Lone Ranger fan.

[video=youtube;5vlG0oib6ss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vlG0oib6ss[/video]

10. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    There's an article somewhere outlining the next five years in film. Summers are (almost literally) going to be entirely reboots/remakes and sequels. Let's hope Spielberg and Lucas were right when they recently predicted that a massive implosion is headed Hollywood's way...

11. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The movie was a bloated mess. The acting, and most of the writing, was pretty good, but the story lacked focus and was told in this flashback style that broke the momentum every time things were progressing. And the whole thing was around 45 minutes too long...editing is a lost art.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    First, they ran out of ideas. So they went back to the old ideas and remade them. Then those ran out. Then they took children's comic books and went through those. Those are spent. While doing this they decided the big opening weekend and big name actors was the only want to go. Market it enough and if the budget is right everyone will go see it opening weekend and be disappointed, but by then you've made your money. Meanwhile, story and writing is virtually an afterthought. You could make all these movies with no-name actors, no CGI idiocy for morons who need big bangs, and turn them out for $30M. Some of the best movies in history were small films relative to today's standards. Movies are about gone.

13. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here is Hollywood biggest problem ..... ticket prices ... years ago I might have gotten stoned and went to watch movies like this with friends when tickets were at a reasonable price

but NO FUCKING way I am going to spend $16 plus the price of popcorn and a drink to watch shit like this not to mention the price of gas to go to the theater

14. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    this isn't the 50's anymore. american's don't like cowboys and indians.

16. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    The Lone Ranger
    149 min long?
    :shit::shit::shit::shit:

17. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they're still up for a good Western, but guys like Eastwood are dying off

18. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.

I don't want to see any more remakes or "reboots".

Make something new and original.

19. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I won't even pay half that for %90 of the films being made and put into wide distribution nowadays. As a former movie lover, it's hard to admit that television series like Game Of Thrones and House of Cards really do beat anything at the cinema nowadays. With all of these sequels being made, it looks like filmmakers are trying to do episodic television on the big screen and charge a small fortune to those who maintain interest in the "story."

20. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Local non stadium seating Cinemark matinee is $3.50. Sign up for weekly email deals and you get coupons for "Buy medium drink get free popcorn" or similar.

I saw World War Z had med drink, large popcorn for $8 total.

:yay: