Looks Like Judd Apatow's New Film is Bombing - May Finish 4th This Weekend

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rupert Pupkin, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/first-box-office-judd-apatows-the-five-year-experiment-close-for-1-with-holdover-think-like-a-man-pirates-3/

Weak Friday: Judd Apatow’s ‘The Five-Year Engagement’ Can’t Beat Holdovers ‘Think Like A Man’ Or ‘The Lucky One’: ‘Pirates!’ #5

....four new low-cost movies opening in North American wide release and performing worse than expected at the box office. Universal’s R-rated comedy The Five–Year Engagement (2,936 theaters) from Judd Apatow’s banner is falling victim to both Sony/Screen Gems7holdover Think Like A Man (2,014 theaters) which will end up #1 and Warner Bros’ The Lucky One (3,175 theaters) which should finish #2.

Is Howard on the air Monday? I am sure he will mention this box-office failure.

----------------------------------

Update. - Judd's movie finished 5th. He really picked a bad time to tweet his feelings on Howard's AGT talk. I liked it since we get angry Howard. Hopefully, he can pick up the buried hatched and talk some smack.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-repeats-as-top-film-with-18-million-in-sales

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Since when has Judd Apatow become the ultimate Producer by which all others are judged?

In my opinion Apatow has produced three really good/great movies: 1. The cable guy. 2. The 40 year old virgin 3. Superbad
    He has produced a lot of above average movies with a few bombs.
    All that said, he has so much more cultural relevance than Howard Stern, it isn't even funny.

3. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard invented movies bombing.

[​IMG]

4. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some of you are ridiculous. You love when someone bashes Howard. Then the next minute you jump on them. :rolleye: It's not like this is a typical Apatow film.

5. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    What? Giving Jason Segel the lead didn't result in a big opening? Shocking.

6. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure in Howard's delusional mind he thinks the movie didn't do well because his millions of fans boycotted it.

7. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    Should have given Alison Brie the lead role instead of a supporting role. People love titties!

8. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    I don't see The Raven winning the box office, either, and John Cusack even came in to the show to promote it. So much for the power of Howard Stern.

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The trailer looked too slapsticky for my tastes. However...

$11M isn't great but on a $30M budget it may make a little money eventually. If it's any good.

Some great movies have bombed. Some shit movies have made tons of money. Ask Matt Judge and Adam Sandler.

Since when does the first week box office have ANYTHING to do with the quality of a flick, vs the marketing tidal wave and market niche' it fills? Or would you prefer some kiddie animated borefest because it made $500M?

I assume that after your first $50M or so most people start making movies for the fun and art of it, rather than to make huge scores financially. I see Apatow is neither Director, writer, or executive producer. Maybe hes just helping his friend get a movie made by putting his name/money into it.

Howard Stern, seeing the world with dollar signs, may or may not comment on it, if someone brings it to his attention, and depending on if he's still feeling slighted by Apatow or not. But it has nothing to do with any reality of how good or bad the movie was.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012