Looks Like There's Another Thing Mac's Operating System Just Won't Do.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Spazzmatazz, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Build Macs.
    In a major faux pas, CEO Tim Cook tweeted (with 46 tweets total) some pics of the assembly line in Austin, Texas. And what do we see? iMacs running Windows.
    :jj:
    From PCWorld.com:
    Well, there’s apparently one good thing Microsoft’s Windows is good at: running the software necessary to manufacture Apple’s Mac computers.

And the messenger of this information? Apple chief executive Tim Cook himself. On Thursday, Cook tweeted a photo of himself touring Apple’s Austin, Texas production line where the Apple Mac Pro is manufactured:

[​IMG]

The problem? Right behind Cook is an iMac—and it’s clearly running Windows.

Cook apparently didn’t notice his glitch. This could be a case of Twitter naivete, as Cook only has 64 tweets to his name, and he may not realize the full impact of his Twitter megaphone. His photos are favorited and retweeted thousands of times, but just a few people noticed the Windows issue. Those people, however, began commenting upon it.
    tim cook line closeup Twitter

“Made in America, with Microsoft Windows (look closely),†Steven Webster tweeted.

“@PeterrWLFC @ryandolan123 Macs are made on Windows which then allows android to be made on the mac. :)†user RBXcmn65 added.

It wasn’t totally clear whether the PC in question was running Windows XP or Windows 7, although most commenters were leaning toward Windows XP. It also wasn’t clear what application it was running. It’s certainly possible that Windows was being used to run electronic design automation (EDA) software, or some other embedded analysis program that Apple’s developer base has passed over.

What is clear, however, is that Apple’s airtight PR machine sprang a leak, and right from the very top. (This wouldn't be the first time a high-tech exec committed a highly visible gaffe, and it won't be the last.) Ironically, Cook himself took some potshots at Microsoft during the Apple’s WWDC speech, mocking Microsoft for poor customer adoption of Windows 8 relative to OS X Mavericks.

“This is the fastest adoption ever of any PC operating system in history,†Cook said of Mavericks.

Maybe so, but Apple’s assembly line could certainly use a copy.

Twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/474935247335743489/photo/1

Discuss. :hole:

2. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
  3. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    here comes Froggy :jj:

4. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Looks like they run it in VMWare on Macs. Looks like the machine is running some kind of a specialized electronics testing package. Those are written for XP so it can be run on cheapest hardware available in factories in China.

5. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    I'll betcha if you stood on Steve Job's grave, you could feel the vibration. :hhh:

6. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    More faggy Macs vs PC discussion. :facepalm:

Use what you like. Who gives a shit?

7. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    Obviously you do. You clicked. :uhat:

8. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    windows is for work.

9. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    :jj:

10. Burly

Burly Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Ubuntu NIGGGGAAAAA becuz it African

11. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you want the best hardware you can buy, you buy a Mac.

And if you want to run the most widely excepted OS on it you run Windows.

12. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

Reputations:
    There are lots of specialized software packages used in industry that only run on Windows, and often only on a certain flavor - sometimes it might only run on Windows 98 or NT.

At least they are using an iMac running Windows. If it was a Dell it might have sent out a very different message!

13. HotGary222

HotGary222 Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    My Mac runs windows 7. Boot camp has been on iOS 10 for a long time.

14. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    haa funny!

15. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I'm not 100% sure about that N.N...?

I have an Alienware M18 laptop......MAC doesn't have anything to compete with it, not hardware wise, quality of build, warranty, or performance.....especially performance. But of course i could have bought about 3 MAC Book pros for what i paid.

Hasn't Apple started using some INTEL processor's and stuff like NVIDIA and AMD GPU's?

16. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I use Mac for two reasons. I hated Windows 8 and every PC I have ever owned, speed time slows down exponentially after 6 months to a year and becomes a snail by the end of year two. I have never had that problem with a Mac.

Personally, there is a lot to hate about my Mac. But the speed has never significantly slowed even though I have had it for about a year and a half. If I could have a PC that would do that, I would easily switch back to PC. I find I have to change my PC every two years or so.

17. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here's the bottom line: Macs are idiot-proof, pc's aren't. (along with certain limitations which come with each) I even got an apple fanatic friend of mine to agree, and he used to be an apple "genius".

For example, pc's usually come out of the box with a full administrator login by default. Mac's don't (in order to protect you from yourself). Some of us need the training wheels, I don't. If you are prone to hurting yourself and slowing your computer down, a macs for you.

Put another way, a PC is like a car which you can modify, push to the limits and sometimes break as a result. Mac is like a very nice car which works all of the time but never changes, you just drive it.

For the record, I leave my win 7 box on for weeks or months at a time with multiple install/uninstalls and it never slows down or crashes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  18. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They're not idiot proof. There's plenty of ways you can fuck it up.

That's extremely dangerous and provides zero advantages. You shouldn’t run all apps with admin rights. If one of them gets owned, you're fucked and your whole system will be compromised because some shitty app was coded by monkeys.

No, it's to protect the integrity of the system and increase its security. If an app is not run as root and is sandboxed, if it gets owned, the damage will be contained.

LOL!

Dude, you're so out of touch. Go to any tech conference and you'll see that 90% of people use Macs. Hell, almost all of Google uses Macs! Facebook, Twitter, Youtube… they were all created on Macs. Not Windows PCs.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/28/mac-chromebook-google-employees/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  19. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Nope. It's old news, and a Mac running Windows on Parallel as a guest. Windows is far more stable when run this way: I have Wibdows 8.1 running like this, for those programs that do not exist for Mac.

OP is just playing to the naive.

20. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    Don't bother. Some people will never get out of their rocking chairs and check out the real world.