Lottery scam..

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can some geek explain what this guy was doing?

Lottery employee rigged $14.3 million win for himself on Iowa ticket: officials
    BY Jason Silverstein
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 11:43 PM
    [​IMG] Polk County Sheriff
    Eddie Tipton allegedly used his position as a lotter security director to hatch an elaborate plot resulting in a $14.3 winning ticket for himself.
    Iowa lottery officials are really hoping for a change of luck.

As a former information security director prepares to stand trial for allegedly rigging a $14.3 million win for himself, officials announced Monday they’re revamping the system’s security to make sure no one else ever rigs the game.

“I have confidence that the games we offer today are fair,” Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich said in a statement. “Our lottery has strong layers of security in place to protect lottery players, lottery games and lottery prizes.”

That apparently was not the case in December 2010, when Eddie Raymond Tipton, who was information security director of the Multi-State Lottery Association, allegedly got way too lucky with a winning Hot Lotto ticket. Authorities believe Tiptop used a USB flash drive to install a self-deleting computer program to give him the numbers he needed to win big. Tipton was “obsessed” with these kinds of programs, known as root kits, co-workers told prosecutors.

[​IMG] KCCI-TV
    Eddie Tipton was caught on camera buying his illegal ticket at a Des Moines gas station and was later recognized in the clip by another lottery employee.
    Tipton, now 51, waited more than a year before attempting to anonymously claim the ticket, the Lottery Post reported. His luck ran out when another lottery employee recognized Tiptop making his prohibited purchase in a security video from a QuikTrip gas station in Des Moines.

Tipton was not allowed to claim a winning ticket or even play the game because of his job at the time, the Des Moines Register reported.

Tipton’s trial for two counts of fraud was supposed to begin Monday, but got pushed off until July when his defense asked for more time.

[​IMG] KCCI-TV
    Eddie Tipton created a self-deleting computer system to score a winning ticket and then tried anonymously claiming it more than a year later, officials said.
    In the wake of Tipton’s wrongful win, Iowa’s lottery officials now say they’ve spaced out security responsibilities among more employees and replaced internal cameras, which Tipton allegedly tampered with while staging his big win.

Follow @jaysunsilver

jsilverstein@nydailynews.com

2. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The root of all evil. :grad:

LaserT likes this.
  3. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't get it... But I need this knowledge

4. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Sure, I'll explain.

The random lotto numbers are not random at all. They're pre-selected years in advance to save time and resources.

If you know those numbers, you win the lotto. He used his position as an insider to get a copy of those numbers, deleted the program he used to find them, and then was too stupid to use a shill to purchase the ticket and claim the prize.

ice cream, vaporizer and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  5. crazycreep

crazycreep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So they don't draw the lottery #s?

6. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    I was kidding, but I'm guessing the guy set it up so that if no one else won, it would show up that the winning numbers corresponded with a ticket he had to purchase later.

How else could you do it?

7. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'm in the middle of a not so elaborate reverse lottery scam
    each week I give these people several dollars and they give me nothing in return
    i'm confident this is a bad idea on my part

8. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    That's pretty funny.:)

MyLazyHand likes this.
  9. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How many others tried this stunt.

10. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    OK, here is what really happened:

The state lottery has a "secure room" where the random numbers are generated. Five guys had access.

The video monitoring system snapped a picture once every minute. It appears that the cheater snuck in with a USB, uploaded a piece of software which automatically deletes itself, and then escaped the room before being pictured. Mission Impossible stuff.

He purchased a ticket which had the "winning numbers" before the lottery took place. The random numbers were his own from the software. He rigged the drawing.

He waited a full year before cashing the ticket, right up until the last minute. The entity cashing the ticket was from Belize, and wouldn't reveal any info. That generated a lot of suspicion.

I'm wondering if they'll be able convict him. Lots of the tracks were covered.

11. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. Afganistand

Afganistand Motivationally Deficient VIP

Reputations:
    I'm just surprised that the gas station in Iowa still had video available a year later

13. doytch

doytch Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They call him tip top

14. Tovahund

Tovahund Just a good dog.

Reputations:

:jj: I noticed that. I read it twice.

Oh and hi Doytch. :wave:

15. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I live in Iowa. Years ago I worked at a computer shop that had 3 cameras set up for security. We had *one* VCR with *one* tape that we would reuse at the end of the day.

Why didn't the dummy just find someone to cash it in for him?

16. JJDealer

JJDealer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He did.

He waited a full year before cashing the ticket, right up until the last minute. The entity cashing the ticket was from Belize, and wouldn't reveal any info. That generated a lot of suspicion.

17. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I could have sworn there was a similar case in Nevada, where a guy figured out how to predict Bingo or Keno numbers ....

18. SlowAdam

SlowAdam misunderstood/forgotten wackpacker

Reputations: