Love Thyself? Coddling Parents May Make You a Narcissist

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by XuXu, Mar 10, 2015.

1. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-parents-may-make-you-a-narcissist?src=usn_fb

[​IMG]

A new study links narcissism and self-esteem to parents' treatment of their children.

Think you’re God’s gift to man? Take a hard look at your parents.

A new study from the Netherlands finds that being overvalued as a child by one’s parents – told you’re more special, for example – may lead to the development of narcissism.

“Children seem to acquire narcissism, in part, by internalizing parents’ inflated views of them,” the study said, such as “‘I am superior to others’ and ‘I am entitled to privileges.’”

The results apparently undercut a previous theory that suggested narcissism emerges from lack of parental warmth. The amount of emotional warmth, however, did predict children’s levels of self-esteem.

“These findings are consistent with the view that children come to see themselves as they believe to be seen by others, as if they learn to see themselves through others’ eyes,” the study said.

The difference between narcissism and self-esteem, the study authors said, quoting a 1998 study, is “high self-esteem means thinking well of oneself, whereas narcissism involves passionately wanting to think well of oneself.”

Researchers from the University of Amsterdam surveyed 565 children ages 7 to 11 — a critical period of childhood development during which narcissistic traits begin to emerge — as well as their parents, 415 mothers and 290 fathers.

The children answered questions assessing narcissism (such as “kids like me deserve something extra”), self-esteem (“kids like me are happy with themselves as a person”) and their parents’ emotional warmth (“my father/mother lets me know he/she loves me”).

Parents also responded to questionnaires determining both what the study called “parental overvaluation” (“my child is more special than other children”) and emotional warmth (“I let my child know I love him/her”).

The apparent association between parents’ having an inflated view of their children, and those children then becoming narcissists, was ultimately “modest in size,” the researchers acknowledged, yet it still went “above and beyond” any influence from “parents’ own narcissism levels.”

Still, deciding how to cope with those insufferable coworkers or friends or significant others or frenemies once they reach adulthood — that may take a whole other study.

The study, funded by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, was published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

2. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
  3. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    well duh :facepalm:

bobp, Mack and XuXu like this.
  4. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    @Shivvy

5. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    The pussification of America started in full force a decade ago.

6. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    every child is a winner every child gets a trophy
    fuck that shit :pissedoff:

BrulesRules and DiamondGoddess like this.
  7. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I know, it obvious a study wasn't necessary to come to this conclusion. Also, the people who need to be aware of it will be oblivious, especially narcissists and the parents who are raising them, so it's basically an exercise in futility.

8. geo

geo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    very well said, xuxu. :clap:

XuXu likes this.
  9. Billy Brown

Billy Brown Thinking big VIP

Reputations:
  10. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    they'll get their chokeslamming when they get into the workplace

bobp and DiamondGoddess like this.
  11. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    @Nunz needs to shop Schmoops face on that girl :jj:

with the vacuum store closet in the background

12. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The duck lips reminded me of his selfie.

13. BrulesRules

Reputations:
    Every kid has an allergy to GMOs, peanut butter, and must eat only organic foods from Whole Foods. Every bump to the head should be treated as if it is a severe concussion.

Billy Brown likes this.
  14. Billy Brown

Reputations:
    The new hip thing the youths are doing today is not trying to get a job.
    It's cool to be 35 y/o and living in your parents basement.

AmishGirl likes this.
  15. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think narcissism has more to do with them being assholes to other people than GMO's.

16. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Definition
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling.

Narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy (psychotherapy).

17. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

Narcissistic personality disorder is one of several types of personality disorders. Personality disorders are conditions in which people have traits that cause them to feel and behave in socially distressing ways, limiting their ability to function in relationships and other areas of their life, such as work or school.

If you have narcissistic personality disorder, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious. You often monopolize conversations. You may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior. You may feel a sense of entitlement — and when you don't receive special treatment, you may become impatient or angry. You may insist on having "the best" of everything — for instance, the best car, athletic club or medical care.

At the same time, you have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation. To feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make yourself appear superior. Or you may feel depressed and moody because you fall short of perfection.

Many experts use the criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), published by the American Psychiatric Association, to diagnose mental conditions. This manual is also used by insurance companies to reimburse for treatment.

18. BrulesRules

Reputations:
    it's all related

AmishGirl likes this.
  19. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

• Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
    • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
    • Requiring constant admiration
    • Having a sense of entitlement
    • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
    • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
    • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
    • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner
    Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal and value yourself more than you value others.

20. Billy Brown

Reputations:
    My cousin has an autistic kid caused by a vaccine. :jj:

XuXu likes this.