Mad Men fans - 12 Angry Men

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ChimneySweep, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I only saw a couple small mentions online after the fact (not official), so hopefully some of you will find this to be interesting and haven't discussed it before.

My wife likes old films, but had never seen the original film "12 Angry Men" (1957). This is the the B&W and not the later remake. I always loved it and we caught it on cable recently.

In the opening scenes they pan across the jury box and show the 12 jurors and a couple alternatives. We were Googling to see who was who since some of these guys are much more recognizable as older men. I jokingly mentioned "Who is the Don Draper guy on the left...?". After they retire to the deliberation room, you start getting to "know" the characters and I honestly didn't remember this character). Turns out the "Don Draper" guy (Juror #12 played by Robert Webber) is actually an ad man and mentions likes to doodle, usually dramatically stands to make his comments and bears much more than a passing resemblance to the Mad Men character.

Any film buffs ever notice this before? Obviously a few people have noticed online, but I thought it was interesting. I hadn't seen this version of the film since watching it in high school almost 30 years ago, but figured I wasn't the only one who caught the similarity. Not sure if it was Joh Hamm's idea or the writers/producers, but it seems pretty obvious that the Don character was largely based on this guy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
  3. ClintDagger

ClintDagger World's #2 Ranked Poster - Exec VP Larry, Inc VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

4. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Um, how is it a fail? I was just pointing out an observation.

In order to agree or disagree you have to 1.) be a fan of, or at least familiar with, Mad Men and the Don Draper character and 2.) have seen a 58 year old movie in the last couple of hours since I posted (unless maybe it's your favorite flick and watch it daily).

Thanks for the bumps though.

Ralph Kramden likes this.
  5. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    Fah Q

stash and jaw_belize like this.
  6. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    slow build

shitba likes this.
  7. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Great movie by the way. I just saw it on tv a couple of weeks ago.

8. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    There has been a lot written about who the inspiration for Don Draper was most likely Draper Daniels, with some other ad folks thrown in

9. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
  10. Sharrack

Sharrack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    UNWATCHABLE....

11. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    90. BLIND GOSSIP 09/08 **#2**
    You may feel bad for this handsome TV star now that he has broken up with his actress girlfriend. Don’t. He already has a new girlfriend. Actually, two of them. One is an actress. One is not. They don’t know each other but each thinks that they are "the only one." Up until now, he has been telling each of them that he couldn’t be seen in public with them because the public thinks that he has been with the same woman for many years. Now that the breakup has been announced, it will be interesting to see which of them he trots out in the next few weeks… and how he’s going to explain it to the other one! Yes, he’s a dog. Always has been! Jon Hamm/Jennifer Westfeldt