WTF Major life changes: have you ever made them, how did it go?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by broccoli rob, Jun 10, 2016.

1. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I am contemplating making major life changes and some days I am more enthused about it than others.

Have you ever made a drastic life change (leave your significant other and relocate, quit your job & move to a place you've never been, completely change your lifestyle, etc.). How did it work out for you??

It is tough to change everything in your life at one time, but in my case I think it could lead to more happiness (something I desperately need). I am still in my late 20s so I figure if i'm going to do it, now is the time.

Howard related because of of his inevitable major life change when he transitions into a woman.

@Chriza I feel like having a burger today. Any suggestions?

2. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    You finally working up your nerve to go full gay, and ask that coworker to have some drinks and poppers at the Manhole? :smile:

3. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you need to make changes, don't hesitate. I don't remember things as being much of a party, but life goes on. Looking back, the experience was worthwhile, if unsettling. You feel so grateful to put down new roots, you know, and somehow have things knit together again.

4. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...sure have. just believe in yourself and take care of YOUR business and you can make it anywhere even if you start with nothing.

5. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    :rolleyes: very clever.

6. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Good luck, BR, with whatever it is your going to do.

7. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    I would be giving myself more of an opportunity to enjoy myself, meet new people. I have been in an unhealthy relationship for a while, off and on for about 6 years. It just isn't going anywhere.

I have an opportunity to relocate for my career and I am pretty close to jumping on it. I won't know anyone at all, but I am pretty sociable so that shouldn't be an issue.

Vidiot, bznick, GIRLY and 7 others like this.
  8. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    Thank you! :)

9. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I say if you are in your late 20s take the shot. Still plenty of time to change again if it doesn't work out.

10. Fillmore Fingers

Fillmore Fingers Sandy Vag Banned User

Reputations:
    Decided to work out intensively for 3 months when I was about 23 years old. Went from ice cream for breakfast to jogging 4-8km per day, wind sprints 3x a week, push-ups, dumbell curls, and crunches to failure every other day. No sugar, no booze, no smokes, and shaved my head bald. I went from 183 pounds to 149 pounds, and people thought I had cancer. Spent about $3000 bucks on a new wardrobe and actually felt pretty damn good. Wish I could find that willpower again.

11. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    That is what I figured. I have lived in the same area the majority of my life and i'd still get an opportunity to see my father once in a while. He is the only family member I keep in touch with/would care about still seeing.

It would pretty much but the nail in the coffin in the relationship with the woman I thought I was going to marry, but like I said before, it isn't going anywhere. All we do is argue & continuing to work on repairing it prevents me from having a life or enjoying one.

12. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I was pure midwest born and raised. After about 20 years on the job, I took a new job in Memphis. I never really liked Memphis or the job. I've moved again a couple of times since then. My regret is leaving friends and family. I was an established member of the community in my smallish home town. On a couple of local charity boards, coaching, etc. A real pillar of the community. I've never come close to anything like that since. I waited until my parents were dead before I moved but my wife's mom was still alive. I wish we'd been there to support her more. Also, my older brother has died. I wish I could have had that time with him. Just things to think about....

Scarlett Ohara, ARM, x76 and 2 others like this.
  13. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    That is awesome, congrats on that! I lost a ton of weight myself a few years back (pics and story are floating around the fitness section somewhere), but I just haven't had the drive, either.

I would probably plan on moving in the Fall and I would spend the next two months going to the gym everyday. There will be a ton of latin women where I am going, so at least i'd have motivation to get swole again.

14. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I had my best female friend for the last ten years tell me she can no longer talk to me. So, I guess her answer to your question is yes. I won't know how it will go since I probably won't ever be able to see or speak to her ever again.

GIRLY, ARM and broccoli rob like this.
  15. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    Ehhh... yeah, that is not one of the more encouraging stories. I was able to be around for my grandparent's death & mother's death, I just have my dad left. I should still be able to see him, just not every day.

I'll be close enough to visit when I am not in school. Come to his place for Dolphin games and whatnot.

This might be my only chance to do this in my life, because when he passes, i'll probably have to go back to my hometown to make sure a family business stays up and running.

Scarlett Ohara and TheLACritic like this.
  16. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dude you definitely need to move on. I wasted 10 years of my life with the wrong girl. Don't make the same mistake.

bznick, GIRLY, RenchFries and 6 others like this.
  17. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, everyone's situation is different. If everyone stayed in their hometown, we'd be a country of farms.

18. Bobbowl

Bobbowl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    ,, one day at a time

Willy Pfister, ljc and x76 like this.
  19. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    I've moved three times for work to different states (same company). It has been a very good experience.

GIRLY and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  20. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you've got a job lined up, go for it.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.