Man Accused of Murdering Teens Who Entered His Home

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Apr 22, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

[video=youtube;XU0VQImzcJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0VQImzcJE[/video]

The trial against a 65-year-old man accused of murdering two teens who entered his home is underway in Minnesota, stirring debate about how far people can go in defending their homes.

Byron Smith, a retired security engineer for the U.S. Department of State, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the slayings of cousins Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 16, on Thanksgiving Day 2012. The killings rocked the small city of Little Falls.

Prosecutors say Smith was sitting in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs. When Brady started walking down the basement stairs, Smith shot him twice.

Then, according to court documents, Smith shot Brady a third time in the face, allegedly telling investigators, “I want him dead.â€
    Minutes later, Kifer walked down the same steps, reportedly calling Brady’s name. Smith shot her multiple times, too – telling investigators the last time he fired was “a good clean finishing shot.â€

Steve Meshbesher, Smith’s attorney, said the case focuses on home security, that Smith had been worried after several break-ins.
    “This was about anxiety and fear, and what somebody does in their own home,†Meshbesher said.

But prosecutors say Smith planned the killings – lying in wait for the two teens in his basement with a book, two guns, energy bars and a bottle of water. The teens weren’t armed.

Under Minnesota law, a person may use deadly force to prevent a felony from taking place in one's home. ABC News Legal Affairs Anchor Dan Abrams said the home-defense angle has limitations.

“The problem is that Byron Smith fired multiple shots,†Abrams said. “You don’t have the right to execute an intruder. If he had fired one shot at each of these intruders, he’d have a much stronger defense.â€

http://gma.yahoo.com/minnesota-man-accused-murdering-teens-entered-home-131438361--abc-news-topstories.html

2. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If someone breaks into your house you don't shoot to wound. The prosecutor's case is that he fired multiple shots? Weak

3. chapped

Reputations:
    if his house has been broken into before i see no way that he is convicted....

honestly the only problem this guy has is that he looks and talks like a nazi war criminal

4. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Well by that standard I hang out in my bedroom at night in anticipation of someone entering my home because I have pistols, a pitcher of water, a Kindle, and a tin of cashews close at hand...

5. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    yea those kids sounded pretty dangerous. especially to a guy awake and armed waiting for them. usually I like these cases where if some sick fuck breaks in you gotta do what you gotta do but fuck no not this time. throw this fucker in jail

6. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the chick took too many selfies. Death is justified

7. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    He executed both of them after he shot them and they were incapacitated. He left the basement to go get another gun...and then went back into the basement. I don't believe he felt threatened at all. Then he waited a day to call the police. Yeah, I'm pro-gun, pro-self-defense and pro-Castle Doctrine, but I think the prosecutors have it right here. If a cop did the same thing, people would want that cop indicted for murder.

This happened in 2012. He was released on bond a year ago.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    Dude didn't call the cops, and hid the bodies in his basement for a day. Fuck him.

9. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    ^ Yep.

10. aquadog

aquadog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah lying in wait is not exactly standing your ground.

11. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    After hearing this now it makes sense that they charged him with premeditated murder.

12. wigtropolis

Reputations:
    If a cop did this in his own house, I don't think there would be a problem with the cop at all.

13. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    No, the prosecutor's case is that he left a wounded teenager in a basement, went and got another gun, returned to the basement and shot her execution style. He doesn't have the duty to retreat, but he already left the basement to get another gun. And then returned. Clearly he didn't feel threatened at that point.

And then he waited a day to notify the cops that there were two dead bodies in his basement. What else are prosecutors supposed to do?

14. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    He never called the cops. He called his brother, who called a neighbor, who called the cops. This dude is a scumbag. Completely undeserving of the flood of support he's sure to receive from know-nothings & reactionary types.

15. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Well cops can shoot unarmed people in the back of the head without it being a "problem," but there would be no shortage of people who'd consider it murder.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Wah, I got killed breaking into an old man's home.

EDIT: I just found out they "were popular". That changes everything. Death penalty.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. wigtropolis

Reputations:
    I'm talking in the house and only in the house

18. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    For the record, I don't have any sympathy for these "kids." I don't want to get shot, hence I don't rob people or break into their house. I think society will manage just fine without them.

19. chapped

Reputations:

i agree with you the dude is a cold blooded killer... but the whole thing could have been avoided by not breaking into his house

20. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    seems like another case of overcharging, but if the dead kids were black, he would have walked no problem