Man Arrested For Stealing 5 Cents Of Electricty.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Daemon, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Daemon

Daemon Asshole

Reputations:
    An Atlanta man has been arrested and charged with theft after he plugged in his Nissan Leaf electric vehicle at a school and used about 5 cents worth of electricity.

The incident happened on a Saturday in November, when Kaveh Kamooneh went to Chamblee Middle School to pick up his son from a tennis game. While he was waiting for his son to finish the game, he plugged his Leaf into one of the school’s external outlets for a few minutes. He said he’d done the same thing many times before, never leaving it plugged in for more than a few minutes.

Unbeknownst to him, a “concerned citizen” saw him plug in the vehicle and called 911.
    When a Georgia police officer arrived and told him he was going to charge him, Kamooneh thought he was joking.

“He said he was going to charge me with theft … because I was taking power, electricity from the school,” Kamooneh, a former university professor who now works as an investment advisor, told reporters at NBC News. “I’m waiting for them to arrest water drinkers and cell phone chargers.”
    Kamooneh was ordered to unplug his car, which he did.

But for some reason which hasn’t been made clear, the police then waited 11 days to actually arrest him. He was taken from his home to the police station, where he was held for 15 hours before being fingerprinted and released on $150 bail.

Police justify enforcing the 5 cent loss with a much costlier arrest and overnight stay in jail by saying that plugging in the car without permission was theft, even though it was Saturday and there was nobody to ask.

“He broke the law. He stole something that wasn’t his,” Chamblee Police Sgt. Ernesto Ford told WXIA News. “A theft is a theft.”

Kamooneh said he intends to fight the charge in court in February.

(http://www.wheels.ca/news/48190/)

If you were wondering why gangs can run with impunity, now you know. If you were a police officer, and got to choose which criminals to chase, wouldn't you go after the 5 cent bandits? It's not like officers get paid more to get shot at.

2. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who is making the estimate of 5 cents? And he's admitting he's done it many times before, so it would be much more. Sounds like some kind of Habib looking to get something for nothing and than crying the blues when he gets busted. Fuck him.

3. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    So his kid goes to the school. That means he lives in the district and probably pays property tax. So, really, he kind of did pay for that electricity. I understand that rationale won't hold up in court, but to arrest this guy is just retarded.

Maybe there's more to the story, but if there isn't this is yet another reason why people hate cops. Waiting two weeks and then arresting a guy at his house...for this.

And what kind of assholes alerts authorities because a guy charges his car for a few minutes??

4. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    So then fine him. Don't show up at his door and lock him up for half a day two weeks later.

5. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    they could have just called him to come to the station. fuck them. srs.

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I don't get the late arrest either. Would it be ok if he had a "regular" car and took gas from maintenance equipment when he went to pick his kid up from school?

8. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Thieving hippie. Give him the chair.

9. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm 50/50.
    I wouldn't have tattletaled, and I think a warning would have been sufficient.
    However, you can't allow people do this, because it can cause a hazard to the building. Or if the voltage isn't correct it may harm the car, and then the guy sues them.

His defense makes it worse, that he does it all the time. Maybe he did need fined.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I suppose it's a violation, but it's too bad there isn't more common sense applied when enforcing laws - will these authorities also be arresting people who have overdue library books?

It looks like other towns in Georgia are already cracking down on serious problems like kids' lemonade stands without the proper permits http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ga-police-shut-down-girls-lemonade-stand/

11. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    Guess the race?

12. Keyless Chuck

Keyless Chuck Barely a VIP

Reputations:
    Trying to save a nickle, I'm going to say Jew.

13. Daemon

Daemon Asshole

Reputations:
    Every minute police dedicate to nickel thieves is one less minute devoted to real criminals. Police have a limited budget and limited manpower. It would be easy to hand out jay walking tickets all day, but that would do nothing to keep society safer. In my opinion, this arrest was a waste of time and the officer should be embarrassed. This is going to cost taxpayers thousands of dollars for what? Nothing!

14. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cops really take care of important business. :coffee:

15. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Would the police have arrested him for charging his phone? There is no need to arrest him, at the most a fine would have suffice

16. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Cops are the biggest dog fuckers on the planet and I'd be willing to bet that the one who laid the charges routinely steals public resources by taking hour long coffee breaks and by stopping at the house in the cruiser. 5 cents worth of power is nothing compared to what your average cop gloms off the system in a shift and they should be embarrassed for laying such a shit charge and wasting money arresting the hippie.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    If the arrest came days later, the order likely came from the DA and not the actual police officer. Just following orders. Not worth losing your job over.

18. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
    Once again morris to the rescue of the bleaks. You are a regular jesse jackson.

19. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was just trying to be a rabble rouser. I would have been fine if the cop schooled him with a billy club instead of arresting him.

20. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    15 hours to process him? How is that even possible?
    They couldn't send him a ticket in the mail marked Court Appearance Required?