Man faces federal charges and $525 fine for not paying for soft drink refill

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Apr 17, 2014.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

:facepalm:

CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -
    A North Charleston man was hit with a federal fine for refilling his drink without paying. The on-site construction worker says he didn't know refills at the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston came at a price, and Wednesday, during his lunch hour, he was slapped with federal charges.

The ticket was issued by the Federal Police Force at the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston after Christopher Lewis refilled his soda without paying the $0.89. A hospital spokesperson called it a "theft of government property."
    "Every time I look at the ticket, it's unbelievable to me,†says Lewis, who works construction. “I can't fathom the fact that I made a $0.89 mistake that cost me $525."

Lewis is now out of a job. According to a hospital spokesperson, signs are posted in the cafeteria informing patrons that refills aren't free. Lewis says he never noticed the signs and admits he had refilled his drink without paying on other occasions. He says after he went back for seconds on Wednesday, a man who identified himself as the chief of police, stopped him.

"As I was filling my cup up, I turned to walk off and a fella grabbed me by the arm and asked me was I going to pay for that, and I told him I wasn't aware that I had to pay for that."

Lewis says he tried to pay the $0.89 right there, but wasn't allowed to. He says he wasn't given the chance to pay the cashier either.
    "I never had an option to make right what I had done wrong."

He says he was taken to a room, given the $525 ticket for shoplifting and told not to return to the property.
    "I'm done there, at the VA hospital. I'm not allowed to go on the premises anymore. I asked him can I still work on the job site and just bring my lunch and not got to the cafeteria and he said he wanted me off the premises."

A hospital spokesperson says it was her understanding that Lewis was aggressive during the confrontation.
    The medical center released the following statement:

The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is fortunate to have a highly trained Federal police force to ensure the safety of our patients, :facepalm:
    visitors and employees. As Federal police they are responsible for enforcing the law. Today a Federal citation was issued for shoplifting in the VA cafeteria to an individual who stated to VA police he had not paid for refills of beverages on multiple occasions, even though signs are posted in the cafeteria informing patrons refills are not free. Shoplifting is a crime. The dollar amount of the ticket is not determined by VA as it is a Federal citation. The citation may be paid or the recipient may choose to appear in Federal court to contest it :facepalm:http://www.wistv.com/story/25269079/man-hit-with-525-federal-fine-after-he-doesnt-pay-for-soda-refill

2. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Why didnt he just shoot the guy

3. FaFaFonkey

FaFaFonkey New Member

Reputations:
    Lets be honest, he probably did it 100 times and was warned over and over again.

4. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :lol:

5. chapped

Reputations:

Lets be honest they want that ticket money.. they would have issued him 100 tickets if that is the case...

He was asked if he was going to pay for it right? So in most shoplifting cases you have to leave the property for it to be a crime.. seems like he was still on the property
    why not just let him pay the fucking .89 cents since one has to PAY for a drink in order to get to the point where one needs a refill

also they accuse him of being aggressive... fucking bullshit they would have arrested him and charged him if that is the case..

give me a fucking break

6. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:

Just Taser him

[video=youtube_share;Q26WkpSwLec]http://youtu.be/Q26WkpSwLec[/video]

7. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Illegal immigration? No problem!

8. chapped

Reputations:

how is that not assault on the cops part??

9. chapped

Reputations:

as long as they don't ask for a refill

10. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    What-what-what! An out-of-control federal bureaucracy taking over the civil liberties of one of our fine, Amer-u-can citizens? Time to dial Fox News:

[​IMG]

11. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    you know that shit costs less than .01, too.

12. chapped

Reputations:

if that!

soft drinks is where the money is made

13. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I work in vending, we're in the process of getting rid of our drink machines at a lot of places and putting in fountain drink setups instead. The profit on those things are INSANE, the reason you can go to a McDonalds and get a $1 drink and refill it as much as you want is because even if you refilled that fucker 5 times THEY STILL MAKE A SHITLOAD OFF that drink. Out of that $1.00 even after multiple refills they are making minimum .60 cent net off that purchase..

14. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Why didnt those pussies go outside and keep filming?!?!?!?

15. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah, plus the article probably would have mentioned it if he'd already been warned or acted up when confronted. I just wonder why the Chief of police was on the grounds ready to bust this guy if there hadn't been prior complaints.

I'd love to hear more info. I'd love some proof that this guy really was warned and habitually ignored the warnings. Or acted aggressively when confronted. The idea that a bunch of ruthless sociopaths are looking for ways to stick a $500 fine to a construction worker over a few dimes is shitty.

Remember the dad who regularly charged his car at his son's middle school? The cops actually came to his home to arrest him for theft. Everybody was outraged, but then the school claimed that they told him to stop on several occasions and, on one occasion, he refused to leave and refused to even unplug his car from the school's outlet.

16. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Holy shit.

17. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    Always more to the story. I highly doubt the chief of police hangs around the soda fountain all day, waiting to bust people who try to get free refills. Mr Innocent probably isn't the angel he's making himself out to be, judging by the fact that he's not even allowed on the work site anymore over a drink refill.

18. BadKarma

BadKarma Extended Member

Reputations:
    Nothing worse than bored cops. Doesn't matter if it's a hospital, mall, bank, or the streets.

19. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    Soder police. :rolleye:

I read a story awhile back where a girl lost her job at 7-11 for giving a homeless guy a cup of coffee on a cold night. Good to see this country is heading in the right direction.

20. HowieHasBeen

HowieHasBeen VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm surprised he wasn't shot after he hit the cop.