Terrifying moment a man is blown out of his car after a gas can explodes on the backseat, inflicting third-degree burns to over 30 per cent of his body A New York driver is recovering from third-degree burns to over 30 percent of his body after a gas can exploded on the backseat of his car, throwing him out of the vehicle. Police say the man placed the gas can in the trunk of his car early Wednesday morning in Rochester, but something caused it to ignite and blow up. Surveillance footage shows the moment the car exploded, hurling the 45-year-old man backwards and setting his clothes on fire. http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355ABB2E00000578-3644840-image-m-8_1466083435632.jpg +8 Scene: Surveillance footage shows the man placing the gas can in his car seconds before the vehicle blows http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355ABB3500000578-3644840-image-m-9_1466083452979.jpg +8 Explosion: The car suddenly blows up while the man is leaning inside, throwing him to the ground in flames http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355ABB2400000578-3644840-image-m-10_1466083464779.jpg +8 The man can be seen here (center) rollowing on the ground while his clothes are on fire from the blast http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355ABB4200000578-3644840-image-m-11_1466083478027.jpg +8 Firefighters say the man managed to roll and put the flames out but he suffered burns to 30 percent of his body Rochester Fire battalion chief Jonathan Young told TWC News: 'Gasoline is extremely volatile. Any time you have a gasoline fed fire it is very dangerous, very dangerous.' Firefighters and police reviewed surveillance video taken at the gas station. The footage shows the man pumping some gas and then placing a gas can into the back of the car. As the man reaches back into the car, an explosion erupts inside, throwing him to the ground. Firefighters say the man rolled to the ground and was able to put out the flames He was transported to Strong Memorial Hospital with third-degree burns over 30 percent of his body. http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355AC0AD00000578-3644840-image-a-19_1466083955642.jpg +8 Emergency: Fire officials say the 45-year-old suffered third degree burns over 30 percent of his body http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355AC0C200000578-3644840-image-a-20_1466083983989.jpg +8 Police say the driver had just put a gas can in the trunk of his car at the Sunoco station and opened the driver's door when the vehicle burst into flames http://i.***************/i/pix/2016/06/16/14/355AC0B900000578-3644840-image-a-21_1466083987331.jpg +8 The car fire happened right outside the front door of the gas station store. Rochester police say when the man placed a gas can in the trunk of his car something caused it to burst into flames The owner of the Sunco station, Salen Nagi, suspects the man may have been smoking. He also said that often people don't use secure gas cans. 'Usually this problem occurs when someone comes to the store with a cigarette and they don't want to put it out. We have some fights with people who want to buy gas at the same time and make careless mistakes. We try our best to prevent problems but, sometimes we can't.' Rochester Fire Battalion Chief James Hartman said that keeping spare fuel in the car can often be more dangerous than running out. 'Anything that can create a spark can ignite gasoline,' he said. 'It's extremely volatile and it has a very very low ignition temperature. It can be ignited simply from static electricity. 'The spark generated from when you rub your hair or rub clothing or anything. Even the action of getting in and out of cloth seats could have created the spark.'