News Man sued for $30,000 over $40 printer he sold on Craigslist.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SuperFarts, Jun 6, 2016.

1. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Man sued for $30K over $40 printer he sold on Craigslist.

"INDIANAPOLIS --- Selling a used, black-and-white printer through Craigslist seemed simple and straightforward to Doug Costello.

It wasn't.

What the 66-year-old Massachusetts man didn't know then is that he would spend the next 6 ½ years embroiled in a complicated and confusing legal dispute in Indiana over that printer, which, according to its buyer, was broken.

He would find himself liable for about $30,000 in damages. He would pay a lawyer at least $12,000 in his battle to escape the legal mess.

And it all started with a piece of hardware he sold online for about $40 in 2009. With shipping and other costs, the total was less than $75, according to court records.

The printer's buyer was Gersh Zavodnik, a 54-year-old Indianapolis man known to many in the legal community as a frequent lawsuit filer who also represents himself in court. The Indiana Supreme Court said the "prolific, abusive litigant" has brought dozens of lawsuits against individuals and businesses, often asking for astronomical damages. Most, according to court records, involve online sales and transactions.

Zavodnik, a native of Ukraine who moved to the United States in 1987 under a grant of political asylum, sued Costello, accusing him of falsely advertising a malfunctioning printer with missing parts, and pocketing Zavodnik's money. According to a complaint filed in Marion Superior Court, Zavodnik tried to resolve the issue with Costello to no avail, leaving him with no other choice but to take legal action.

Zavodnik declined to speak with IndyStar. In an earlier interview, he said his motivation for filing lawsuits is simple: to seek justice from people who, he said, stole money from him.

According to court records, Zavodnik initially filed a lawsuit in Marion County Small Claims Court, where he asked for the maximum damages of $6,000. Zavodnik lost because he had thrown away the evidence (the printer), court records said.

Costello said he thought that was the end of the legal fight, but Zavodnik filed another lawsuit in Marion Superior Court, where he requested damages for breach of contract, fraud, conversion, deceptive advertising and emotional distress.

"I figured that's it," Costello said of his victory in small claims court. "But no, no, no. Now I'm in another twilight zone."

In 2010, Zavodnik sent Costello, who also was representing himself in the lawsuit, paperwork asking him to admit that he was liable for more than $30,000 for breach of contract, fraud and conversion. The trial court dismissed the case, along with 26 others filed by Zavodnik, who appealed all of those dismissals, court records state.

The Indiana Court of Appeals in March 2012 revived the lawsuit against Costello and sent the case back to the trial court, where it remained stagnant for another nine months until a hearing was scheduled later that year."

[​IMG]

2. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Always sell it as is......

OV, lovetalkradio, SuperFarts and 2 others like this.
  3. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A law degree is a license to steal!

lovetalkradio and SuperFarts like this.
  4. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    K

SuperFarts likes this.
  5. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Be honest and you'll be ok, I do a lot of transactions on Craigslist.

SuperFarts likes this.
  6. SuperFarts

Reputations:
    I have to reread the article but it didnt say that the guy is a lawyer, just that he represents himself and that he sues everybody for everything:

"The printer's buyer was Gersh Zavodnik, a 54-year-old Indianapolis man known to many in the legal community as a frequent lawsuit filer who also represents himself in court. The Indiana Supreme Court said the "prolific, abusive litigant" has brought dozens of lawsuits against individuals and businesses, often asking for astronomical damages. Most, according to court records, involve online sales and transactions."

John DOrazio and stanggirl like this.
  7. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    I'd be printing my knuckles on his jaw.

8. gitchasum

gitchasum Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nevertheless you can still print money with a law degree.

lovetalkradio and SuperFarts like this.
  9. Hank Douglas

Hank Douglas Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Scum bag. One of the regulars at the bar I used to work at was one of these fuckers constantly trying to sue people. Naturally, I learned this AFTER having an incident with him one night... the fucker had too many to drink and people were complaining about him. I NICELY told him to settle down and he spent the next 10 minutes drunkenly trying to argue with me, accusing me of acting in a brutish manner or something like that.

Nothing came of it, thankfully, but when one of my co-workers showed me what happens when you google his name my stomach dropped. Pages of bullshit litigation.

A real creep for sure....

Scarlett Ohara and SuperFarts like this.
  10. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

So what ended up happening?

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the full article. Sorry about that.

In summation, that Russian guy is a fucking dickhead and deserves JAIL time AND FINES.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Zavodnik was granted political asylum in 1987 from the Ukraine. Thanks Reagan.

12. Biff DiBiase

Biff DiBiase Philanthropist and accountant at Larry, Inc. POTY Stern Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Zavodnik is a good heel.

SuperFarts likes this.
  13. HigherPrimate

HigherPrimate Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess common sense isn't a requirement for becoming a judge. Crazy shit.

Bye You! likes this.
  14. Rahm2015

Rahm2015 Effortlessly Destroying Confirmed Internet Legends Gold

Reputations:
    People's hard earned tax money being spent on this asshole, dirt bag criminal? WTF?
    Send the fucker back to the Ukraine.

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    See? We hate and despise white asshole immigrants too!

16. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    I can't even imagine how any court allowed it to go that far. First, private sales of goods are always "as-is" unless there are specific warranties or representations to the contrary that can be proved. Second, there's no such thing as consequential economic damages arising from private sales of goods; the maximum damages is the price paid if there's evidence of warranties. Third, there's no such thing as emotional distress from contracts issues. Fourth, there are frivolous-lawsuit and abuse-of-process statutes meant to be used against shitheads like this.

Mr Pink and AmishGirl like this.
  17. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    I have hated those scheming, thieving and conniving Russians since dental school. Bunch a academic cheaters and Medicaid bilkers.

18. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    You must be a lawyer.

19. HigherPrimate

HigherPrimate Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's crazy man, what a nightmare, poor guy. Not one judge actually did his job and made an actual common sense "judgement" to prevent this from going on so long.

20. SuperFarts

Reputations:

They almost did the right thing: