News Man (useless lowlife) sues Starbucks

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dave Jones, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Dave Jones

Dave Jones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/07/ottawa-man-suing-starbacks-after-coffee-spill

Ottawa man suing Starbucks after coffee spill

Testing Ottawa's hot coffee

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    Bridgehead: We tested five central Ottawa coffee shops, ordering a black coffee, and immediately checking the temperature it was served. At Bridgehead, the coffee was at 75.1c.
    McCafe (McDonalds): We tested five central Ottawa coffee shops, ordering a black coffee, and immediately checking the temperature it was served. At McCafe it was 79.7c.
    Starbucks: We tested five central Ottawa coffee shops, ordering a black coffee, and immediately checking the temperature it was served. At Starbucks, the coffee was at 75.1c.
    Tim Horton's: We tested five central Ottawa coffee shops, ordering a black coffee, and immediately checking the temperature it was served. At Tim Horton's, the coffee was at 78.7c.
    Second Cup: We tested five central Ottawa coffee shops, ordering a black coffee, and immediately checking the temperature it was served. At Second Cup, the coffee was at 68.1c.

Hot coffee is brewing a Venti-sized problem for Starbucks after an Ottawa man alleged he was burned by a bumbling barista.
    Gamal Elbanna seeks a cool $1 million in a lawsuit filed against the Seattle-based coffee company last week that claims he was -- "either intentionally or accidentally" -- pushed by a Starbucks employee.
    The blow sent lava-hot java sloshing over Elbanna, who "sustained serious personal injuries," his statement of claim says.
    None of the allegations have been proven in court.
    It was St. Patrick's Day when Elbanna made his allegedly ill-fated purchase at the South Keys Starbucks.
    The catastrophic cuppa left him scarred and scared, he claims.
    Elbanna suffered injuries to his left hand "as well as a severe shock to his system, together with a general wearing and tearing of all the muscles and ligaments of his body," the statement of claim alleges.
    He is also traumatized, depressed and haunted by "a diminished sense of body image, embarrassment and self-consciousness as a result of his scarring," it's alleged.
    Starbucks failed, Elbanna claims, to warn him "of the danger posed by the hot coffee" and he alleges the company knew or should have known that the coffee was being served at dangerously high temperatures.
    Those temperatures, he claims, are "far in excess of any reasonable temperature at which the coffee ... could be suitable for immediate consumption."
    (A Starbucks coffee purchased by the Sun said "Caution hot" in block capital letters and in both official languages on the lid. The cardboard sleeve said, "Caution: Very Hot" while the cup itself said: "Careful, the beverage you're about to enjoy is extremely hot.")
    Elbanna also alleges the company staffed its store with improperly trained or incompetent baristas and that the store was too cluttered with tables and chairs.
    Elbanna is being represented by Mississauga injury lawyer Sunish Uppal of UL Injury & Disability Law, the phone number of which is given as 1-8-444-IN-PAIN.
    Uppal said he would seek Elbanna's permission to speak about the matter, but he could not immediately reach his client.
    Attempts to reach Elbanna directly were unsuccessful.
    A Starbucks spokeswoman said the company had not yet been served with the lawsuit but was "very concerned."
    Starbucks promised to "thoroughly investigate the allegations once we have additional information."
    "The safety of our customers is our top priority," the company said.
    A HILL OF BEANS
    Gamal Elbanna's $1-million damages claim is a far cry from the infamous $2.9-million award an American jury gave to New Mexican senior Stella Liebeck, who burned herself on McDonald's coffee in 1992.
    (That award, however, was substantially reduced by the judge and the case was ultimately settled privately before an appeal could be heard.)
    In Canada the damages claim seems wildly optimistic.
    A Brantford, Ont. judge awarded just $8,000 to Melanie Lamky after a cup of Tim Hortons coffee scalded her in 2003.
    Lamky had sued after the fifth cup jammed in the centre of a four-cup cardboard tray lost its lid and exploded in a moving Ford Explorer.
    In his 2004 decision, the judge called it a "defensible lawsuit" and noted that all would likely have been well "had the Plaintiff placed the fifth beverage in the beverage holder."
    But Tim Hortons didn't attempt to defend itself and Lamky won a default judgement against the coffee chain. She also got over $4,000 in costs.

2. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
  4. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's gonna own Starbucks!!

[​IMG]

joemama likes this.
  5. Smg669

Smg669 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where does this fuck think he is? The United States of America? This is Canada - he should be apologizing to Starbucks!

6. al pacinos baby

al pacinos baby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman who suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  7. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Celsius means nothing.

EndOfLine likes this.
  8. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    How dare you call my client a useless lowlife?!

9. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    God damn lawyers will finish ruining this world before the politicians do. No offense to LawyerLarry :)

isabella likes this.
  10. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    ok. maybe useless was excessive

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    If that doesn't deserve a spoiler tag nothing does.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
    Xent and meanredhed like this.
  12. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Wife said a coworker's spouse tapped a shitty old van in traffic today. Pulled over and the man got out holding his neck already. Uh oh. Luckily the asshole's wife blew it when she said "there's not even any damage. Quit holding your neck" .

13. Toronto Tom

Toronto Tom Active Member

Reputations:
    We have litigious envy.

14. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    general wearing and tearing of all the muscles and ligaments of his body

:jj:

15. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Better call Sunish? I'm sure with a contact number like that he is very selective about the types of cases he would accept.

[​IMG]

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  16. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    Lawyers, insurance adjusters, and police officers are all equally the scum of the earth.

17. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i'd like to see a pic of "gamal"....if he's having trouble with coffee and self-image maybe he should go back to the hellhole his ancestors came from.

18. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    lbanna is being represented by Mississauga injury lawyer Sunish Uppal of UL Injury & Disability Law, the phone number of which is given as 1-8-444-IN-PAIN.

They misspelled Mashugana.

19. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Starbucks is an amazing business. I'm not even a coffee drinker and they get me to spend 4 bucks in the summer for something I could make at home for pennies. When I take that first sip of my iced, non-fat, decaf latte, I'm all " Oooh yeah, that's the stuff!"

20. Bs100

Bs100 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Could we do a bit more reading comprehension here.

The allegation is that the starbucks employee pushed the customer thereby spilling a hot cup of coffee on the customer resulting in burns. You guys are really angry at this? If you go to a store and an employee pushes you- and your fall results in you breaking your leg- are you not going to hold them responsible?

I am calling bullshit on all of you. This is different than the mcdonalds case (which i never agreed with) there the woman burned herself- opening the lid. Here AN EMPLOYEE's ACTION CAUSED THE SPILLED COFFEE ON A PATRON!!! Without the employee's action- the burn never happens.