Sports Marlins Fans, check your lineups..

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Eclipse754, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Eclipse754

Eclipse754 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ESPN has just confirmed that Marlins starting pitcher Jose Fernandez was killed early this morning in a boating accident. He was scheduled to start today. Authorities found a 30 foot boat crashed along the rocks on Miami Beach. Fernandez was among the 3 victims found in the wreckage.:rip:

Edited by mod:

News stories require links. Please include them in future threads. Thanks.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/25/us/mlb-pitcher-jose-fernandez-dead/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Bobby Axelrod

Bobby Axelrod Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What!? No way!

3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    young man
    terrible news

and for the team it's just terrible news

4. JustLurking

JustLurking Enforcer and Sergeant at Arms

Reputations:
    Shocking, my heart sank.

5. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Get your boat off my jetty!

[​IMG]

6. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Shame the guy was a great pitcher. My Tribe beat him earlier this year. Two Indians pitchers were killed in Spring Training 93 very tragic.

7. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    I was just about to say that, Howard.

Seriously I was literally typing that I thought something this dumb only happened to the Indians.

8. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was working at the Indians rehab facility at the time of that while in college , very sad

9. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    When are they going to ban these boats??? Congress needs to step in and do something about this. There should be a cooling off period between someone buying a boat and actually taking possession of it. Don't give me that "Boats don't kill people, people kill people," because if these people didn't have access to boats, they would all still be alive.

If we can't ban boats, then can we atleast tax fuel so much that people won't be able take their boat off the dock? This boat violence epidemic has to stop!

10. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
  11. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Baseball players and boats are a bad mix. Remember the Cleveland Indians in 1993.

ORLANDO, Fla., March 23— Steve Olin nearly didn't go to the off-day gathering at Tim Crews's house. He got lost on the way and was going to turn around, but he had promised his 3-year-old daughter she could ride a horse.

Crews didn't really want to fish in the lake that bordered his house. He preferred the adjacent lake, but the water level was too low for his boat.

Heading back to shore to pick up two more friends for a fishing outing, Olin and Crews were injured fatally and Bob Ojeda, a third member of the Cleveland Indians' pitching staff, was injured seriously Monday evening when Crews's boat struck and went under the end of a pier on Little Lake Nellie about 25 miles west of Orlando.

Olin, the Indians' No. 1 relief pitcher, was killed instantly in the accident after dark, suffering multiple skull fractures. Crews, signed by the Indians two months ago, died at 5:40 A.M. today at Orlando Regional Medical Center from a fractured skull and other internal head injuries. Ojeda Improving

Ojeda, signed by the Indians in December for their starting rotation, underwent surgery late Monday evening for what a spokesman at South Lake Memorial Hospital in nearby Clermont described as a "scalping injury -- a very large laceration of the head." He was moved from the intensive care unit this morning, and his condition was upgraded to "stable and improving."

Questions of alcohol and speed were raised, but definitive answers were not immediately available.

Lieut. Bruce Cooper, regional fatality investigator for the Florida Game and Fish Commission, said a cooler with a six-pack of beer and a bottle of vodka was found on the 18-foot fishing boat, but only one empty can was found. If officials are to determine the blood alcohol content of Crews, who was piloting the boat, Cooper said, it would have to be done from blood samples scraped off the boat.

"I didn't go to the hospital and take blood from him," Cooper said at the Orlando hospital. "He already had had blood transfusions."

John Hart, the Indians' general manager, said he asked Fernando Montes, the team's strength and conditioning coach, who also attended the gathering, about the possible contribution of alcohol to the accident. "He assured me that was not the case," Hart said. Assumption of High Speed

Cooper said he couldn't say for certain how fast the craft was traveling, but he said he assumed it could have been moving at close to 60 miles an hour. He based his assumption, he said, on two factors: The boat's throttle was found nearly wide open and the boat split apart three 4-by-4 pilings.

"When we find a throttle full open, we assume it was full open," Cooper said, explaining this throttle was found about an inch from full open. "That's our assumption unless something tells us different." Further, he added, "if the pilings aren't rotting, we're going to assume the boat was going at a pretty good speed. It takes a pretty good force to split 4-by-4's like that. If he had hit the pilings at a slow speed, in my opinion, it never would have split the pilings."

A friend of Crews, Perry Brigmond, disputed the view about the speed of the boat. Brigmond was one of the two people who were waiting for Crews to return to shore to pick them up. The other was Montes, the conditioning coach, who did not board the boat with the three players because Crews asked him to get Brigmond, who was still eating dinner.

"I've been in boats all my life," Brigmond said, standing at the scene of the accident. "If they had had an open throttle, they'd have been out in the middle of the water. It would've thrown them out of the boat."

Brigmond said all three were still seated in the boat when he reached them. Crews was on the right side of the bench seat, Brigmond said; Olin was in the middle and Ojeda on the left. Ojeda's positioning presumably saved his life. Counseling for Teammates

The deaths stunned an organization that has had its share of tragedy; the Indians are the only major league team to lose a player in a game, in 1920, when Ray Chapman was killed by a pitch. Teammates gathered this morning in Winter Haven for a meeting attended by the team's psychiatrist, and Rick Wolff, the Indians' roving psychological coach, spoke to several players by phone.

"They had a chance to confront the situation and talk about their relationships with Steve, Tim and Bob," said Wolff. "It was real cathartic. The team's taking it hard. It's like two deaths in the family."

Carlos Baerga, the most talented player on the team, served as a spokesman for all of the players.

"What happened yesterday is kind of hard for our team," the second baseman began, his eyes moist and reddened. "We lost two of our teammates. We have to keep going. The team is real down right now. The first thing we have to think about is their families."

The Indians canceled their exhibition games with the Baltimore Orioles today and the Mets on Wednesday. They scheduled a memorial service for the players Wednesday evening, at which Andre Thornton, an ordained minister and former Indians player, will speak. Thornton's wife and children were killed in an automobile accident several years ago.

Now, officials are piecing together what happened Monday night. They believe that, as Crews turned the boat to return to the other side of the lake, he maneuvered close to the shore line and the boat suddenly went under the end of the L-shaped pier, which stretched 185 feet onto the lake. The boat came to rest an estimated 50 to 75 feet on the other side of the pier.

12. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  13. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    fueling a boat is expensive enough, already. especially what he was on, I think it was over 30 ft.

14. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's the wreckage. Incase it wasn't obvious

CrucifiedAGT, ljc and broccoli rob like this.
  15. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    Sad indeed

16. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    the boat was called the Allah Akbarge and everyone on board was a Hillary supporter.

17. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Wasn't Ojeda out there drinkin with them too?

ShutUpSitDown and KDK12 like this.
  18. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think Steve Olin got decapitated it was really grisly very sad for a 12 year old me and all the little tribe fans.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  19. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Typical Trump supporter statement. I expect nothing less. Part of the basket of deplorables.

Cheri and The Filthy Beast like this.
  20. slipkid69

slipkid69 AKA...Dick Delicious VIP

Reputations:
    He was on the boat as well but survived.

wife is a whore likes this.