Martian soil confirmed to have 2% water content

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SleepingWarrior, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Very very big news and bodes extremely well for any mission we may eventually send to Mars. And the best part is this is just surface soil water content so its no problem to get to.

Full article http://news.discovery.com/space/this-scoop-of-mars-soil-is-two-percent-water-130926.htm

By now, we probably all know that there was once significant quantities of water on the Martian surface and, although the red planet is bone dry by terrestrial standards, water persists as ice just below the surface to this day.
    Now, according to a series of new papers published in the journal Science, NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory rover Curiosity has found that the Mars topsoil is laced with surprisingly high quantities of the wet stuff.
    VIDEO: Mars Rover Digs Up Water-Rich Soil!

Curiosity landed inside Gale Crater near the planet’s equator on Aug. 6, 2012, with the explicit mission to seek out habitable environments for life, past and present. Using a sophisticated suite of instrumentation, the rover is gradually piecing together the geological and habitable history of its small corner of Mars.
    During science operations at the geologically interesting location called “Rocknest,†Curiosity scooped a sample of fine regolith (pictured top) and dumped it into its on-board chemical laboratory on Sol 71 (Oct. 17, 2012). After analyzing the very first scoop of material from a wind-blown ripple in the soil, it appears that Curiosity’s Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) had detected something quite profound.
    “One of the most exciting results from this very first solid sample ingested by Curiosity is the high percentage of water in the soil,†said Laurie Leshin, Dean of Science at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, N.Y., and lead author of one of the studies focusing on SAM analysis of Mars ‘fines.’
    “About 2 percent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which is a great resource, and interesting scientificlly.â€

2. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I heard on he radio that 1 cubic foot scoop of the soil will give you 2 pints of water when heated.

3. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [h=2]Martian soil confirmed to have 2% water content[/h]
    Same amount of funny content on the Stern show. What a coincidence.

4. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Inserting, but what kind of fuel would we bring (or find) to produce the heat?

5. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Wonder if some sort of lens could be constructed to concentrate the sunlight. Probably not, since the Sun isn't exactly a ball of fire on Mars.

In all honesty, I seriously doubt that they'll ever have a colony there.

6. dadadipshit

dadadipshit Member

Reputations:
    When NASA needs money... a miraculous find always happens. They've relied on the "water on mars" propaganda many, many times.

7. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    They've always known there's water on Mars. It has icecaps on the poles.

And I'd rather NASA get the money than useless enwurds that are on their 3rd generation of welfare, bub.

8. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
  9. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...they've known for a while theres water content on mars what theyre really looking for is existing or fossilized organisms to prove life existed there. thing is once you find water finding some type of organism is almost 100% expected.

10. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  11. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Mars makes no sense, really. It has no atmosphere or substantial magnetic field, and the radiation levels caused by the Sun would kill you. Even Europa, which has liquid water below the surface (so you could drill a well) and oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, has too much radiation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)
    There's just no way we're starting a permanent colony in this solar system anytime soon.

12. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    That's why I don't understand why exactly we aren't more interested in Jupiter's moons. Europa has an underground ocean, oxygen and carbon dioxide. I honestly think it's just that Mars is a much cheaper trip and NASA knows a Europa rover would bust the budget.

13. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know, Exploring is part of human nature and if we don't blow ourselves to smithereens, I'd like to think we would at least try to land on Mars one day.

Getting back to power, I did a little research and I guess nuclear fission would be the best option if we don't mind the possibility of trashing a whole new planet.

http://www.space.com/5850-nasa-eyes-nuclear-power-moon-base.html

14. dadadipshit

dadadipshit Member

Reputations:
    I'd rather have an accountable government that practices fiscal responsibility across the board and doesn't bullshit us with fantasies of martian landings and deep space exploration.

With NASA's official #1 priority right now being Muslim outreach, the money's going to enwurds anyway.

15. Judy Garland

Judy Garland New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Martian soil is full of toxins that can kill a human being so even if they can melt that water, they will need to separate it from the soil to a safe level.

16. Judy Garland

Reputations:
    Mars has an atmosphere. A thin one.

...and we'll colonize the Moon asap. There will be Big Macs on the Moon one day.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I don't think it's a fantasy, it's just somehwere in the ball park of 1000 years away. The thing of it is though, commercial exploration is never going to develop if you don't have governments paving the way. If we don't take up this cause I guarantee you China or Russia will. Eventually it will pay off, imagine we're squabbling over petty land masses and the Chinese could be colonizing entire planets, all speaking Mandarin and spreading their culture. You don't want to be on the wrong side of history, the Chinese emperors actually shut down deep ocean exploration for the same reasons we now want to halt space exploration, and look at what it cost them.

18. Bungzilla

Bungzilla Active Member

Reputations:
    this might be the best reply ive ever read

19. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    It will never be viable. Europa actually has an atmosphere that could support life if it weren't for the radiation, but that doesn't mean life living under its surface couldn't make it (in terms of alien life).

20. Judy Garland

Reputations:
    Don't forget about Titan. It smells like a giant fart there (methane) and it's temperature is insanely low but every one of these possibilities presents problems that must be overcome.

Before you worry about humans on Mars, the problem of radiation during the journey must be dealt with first.