News Massive Hack Exposes Data of 4 Million Federal Employees

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Jun 4, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Massive Hack Exposes Data of 4 Million Federal Employees
    China is believed to be behind the enormous intrusion, according to multiple reports.
    By Dustin Volz and Brendan Sasso
    [​IMG]
    Ethernet cables lead to a server at a technology trade fair in Hanover, Germany.(Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

June 4, 2015 Approximately four million former and current federal employees may have had personally identifiable information stolen as part of a massive cyber theft announced by the administration Thursday.

The Office of Personnel Management, the federal government's human resources office, is warning employees who may be affected to be on the lookout for financial fraud. The office, which handles security clearances and other sensitive information, said it identified that its systems had been breached in April.

"Protecting our federal employee data from malicious cyber incidents is of the highest priority at OPM," said the Katherine Archuleta, the office's director, in a statement. "We take very seriously our responsibility to secure the information stored in our systems, and in coordination with our agency partners, our experienced team is constantly identifying opportunities to further protect the data with which we are entrusted."

The office said it upgraded security on its servers after the breach, instating anti-malware software on its systems and reviewing connections to make sure "only legitimate business connections have access to the internet."

An FBI spokesperson said the agency is working with "interagency partners" to investigate the breach.

According to reports in the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal, federal authorities believe China to be the culprit, marking the second time over the past year that the country has succeeded in penetrating the federal government's cyberdefenses. Both China and Russia constantly wage cyberattacks on the U.S.

In response to the hack, OPM said it will offer free credit monitoring to affected employees.

Rep. Adam Schiff said the hack should prompt Congress to swiftly pass legislation increasing the sharing of certain cyber-threat data between the private sector and the government. Measures to that effect passed the House last month, but the Senate has yet to bring a proposal to the floor.

"This latest intrusion … is among the most shocking because Americans may expect that federal computer networks are maintained with state of the art defenses," Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, said in a statement.

"The cyber threat from hackers, criminals, terrorists and state actors is one of the greatest challenges we face on a daily bases, and it's clear that a substantial improvement in our cyber databases and defenses is perilously overdue, he added. "That's why the House moved forward on cybersecurity legislation earlier this year, and it's my hope that this latest incident will spur the Senate to action."

Privacy advocates, however, warn that such information-sharing legislation could embolden government surveillance by handing over more data to the National Security Agency.

Kaveh Waddell contributed to this article.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  2. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    thing is, they are federal employees. what info will be released? that they get paid shit and can't afford anything thus they cannot get credit? i think everyone already knew that.

3. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like a dude who dates a mailman....

JustLurking likes this.
  4. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  5. RODFROMBAYSIDE

RODFROMBAYSIDE Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I first saw the headline, I thought it was a story about Shuli

6. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    :rs:

Captain and boognishstern like this.
  7. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i work for the federal gov as a nurse. there are doctors, nurses, scientists, engineers, firefighters that work for the gov. not all work at the dmv

Captain and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  8. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    no. i just think, so you stole the financial info of 40,000 welfare recipients. what are you going to do with it? its not like you can use it to apply for credit. 40,000 visa cards with a $200 credit limit is not going to allow you to do much damage.

I figure you steal that kind of info to compromise their identities, but how much harm can you do to federal employees? apply for an American Express Black Card and claim they make $500,000 annual? contrary to what the commercials say, FICA scores mean shit and the biggest banks don't use them at all (they have their own scoring). Everyone is going to have their computer systems watching for accounts of federal employees because that info is already available thru the federal reserve clearing system.

ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  9. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    yes but your info is already available online to all the major financial institutions. federal employees are the easiest to validate because that info is processed as a block and the big banks manage the fed payrol systems the same way they do the EBT card systems. you are not random customers; you are a known, captive population much like the army info was during WWII.

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    This is from a couple years back.

The figure commonly cited as the “average” federal employee salary now stands at nearly $78,500, an amount that has risen by about $1,800 in the last two years despite a general freeze on salary rates during that time, according to data released Monday.

Toss in retirement benefits, health care, etc, and I'm thinking six figures range compensation. About triple the US median number.

11. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    yes but to the computer systems, they look like fixed income recipients. it rates people based upon pattern income. there are a few grades that are very high up there, but the bulk of the grades look like fixed income recipients and they are almost immediately classified in the systems.

12. TonyJax

TonyJax White Privilege Denied. VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks Bush, you freaking asshole.

Gusbuss likes this.
  13. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    the latest reports are that it is more extensive than earlier thought and basically all the federal employee systems were hacked. data for current and past employees was taken.

14. TonyJax

TonyJax White Privilege Denied. VIP

Reputations:
    All the money we spend on taxes and we cant get one good IT guy.

15. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    in the public sector we pay them moderately well, but their tasks are very rote: we've recently hired some from the feds (they were cheap) and they could not handle our mixed environments or the need for very fast turnaround on issues; so far two out of two quit within 2 months due to the pressure and hours. the girl i work with now came from the federal reserve and expects all incidents resolved in minutes. because of her i am so fast at diagnosing and resolving production issues now that i never have to work late anymore unless its scheduled in advance. urgency in the private sector is highly valued. not so much in the public sector.

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Everyone is vulnerable to hacking. If you're connected to the Internet, you are vulnerable. Some of the biggest hacks we know of were private sector, so don't tell me the reason for this one was due to IT being government employees. I honestly think the smart move for our federal government is to restrict access to certain data to discrete, local networks that have no internet access. Force espionage to go back to old school infiltration rather than sitting thousands of miles away looking for weaknesses to exploit around the clock. Who cares if it is less efficient? We somehow lived without Internet access not long ago.

Captain likes this.
  17. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i tried but you have this odd view of pretty much everything that you interpret everything as a defense rather than an opinion. i give up on you.

18. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:

^^^ This. IT in the federal gummin't sucks balls. The FBI didn't even have regular access to email until around 2000, though that was due to internal politics as much as anything. That said, while the government is slow and stupid, the private sector is often too fast (little beta testing, too many subcontractors and delegates of duties handling sensitive environments) and too focused on convenience; hence the large-scale hacks (malware, really) into Target and Home Depot were the result of the private sector loving the way self serve kiosks increase sales revenues without additional employee overhead. Other posters know more about the tech end of this, but it does seem the problem is not public v. private, but rather the way hackers ID vulnerabilities in cost-conscious environments.

Droog likes this.
  19. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits

Reputations:
    Only solution is to kill the internet.