Politics McCain wants Trump to apologize to all POWs

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jul 25, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    mccain_pareene.jpg

Arizona Sen. John McCain says he was surprised by Donald Trump's stinging attack on his war record and veterans work, but calls such attacks on political opponents a "trademark" of the celebrity real-estate titan.

The controversy exploded July 18 when Trump told an Iowa audience that McCain is “a war hero because he was captured” and that Trump likes “people that weren’t captured.” The Republican senator earlier had stoked the feud by telling the New Yorker magazine that Trump had “fired up the crazies” at his July 11 rally in downtown Phoenix.

The uproar over Trump’s anti-McCain tirade continued all week as a string of veterans groups and even the National Border Patrol Council defended McCain, a former Navy aviator who was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967 and spent more than five years as a prisoner of war.

McCain, the 2008 GOP White House nominee now seeking a sixth U.S. Senate term, discussed Trump, the Republican presidential race and other topics in an extended question-and-answer session with The Arizona Republic.

The 78-year-old senator said he was not expecting the Trump attack.

“I was surprised. I honestly was surprised," McCain tells the newspaper. "I’d never had a clash with him before. I was surprised, but I think it’s important to note he attacks everybody. He attacks (Jeb) Bush, he attacks Lindsey Graham, he attacks (Rick) Perry. It’s sort of his trademark. He attacks the media, but, more importantly, he attacks all of the other candidates. He has something derogatory to say about all of them. He doesn’t just say he disagrees with them. He casts aspersions on them.”

On the specific remarks about McCain's war experience as a POW, the senator said Trump doesn't own him an apology "because I'm in the (public) arena."

"But he does owe an apology to every single veteran who was captured and was a prisoner of war," McCain said.

The senator also defended his work with veterans, saying that he has a staff of five people dedicated solely to helping veterans, even those who are not from Arizona. "We have pending, generally speaking, 600 veterans cases per day that we are working on for veterans from all over America," he said.

McCain also brushed off Trump's complaint that the senator had denigrated as "crazies" the thousands of people who turned out at the Trump rally in Phoenix. "Obviously, I was speaking in jest," he said. "I appreciate the rough-and-tumble of my party, and of my citizens. I have been called crazy many times, and, as I’ve said, I view it as a term of endearment."

Asked about Trump's "policy depth," McCain replied that the real estate developer, after pushing his demand for a wall on the border, recently ducked a reporter's question on how to deal with millions of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. "So he makes these statements and does not have any solutions for them other than to criticize those of us who are trying to find solutions,” McCain said.,

The senator acknowledged that Trump's tactics have dominated the news cycles in recent weeks and drowned out the voices of other GOP presidential hopefuls.

“I think it’s hard. A good example of how hard it is that the day before yesterday, John Kasich, a very successful governor of a swing state (Ohio), announced, and it was on the inside of the papers," he said.

Regarding the state of the GOP and whether the turmoil inside is overblown, McCain said that "we’re obviously in a very interesting time, and unprecedented, because you have so many people that are running."

"But at the same time," he added. "I noted that in key states yesterday, there was a poll that showed our leading candidates beating (Democratic presidential frontrunner) Hillary Clinton. The rising mistrust of Hillary Clinton is being reflected in the polls, but, of course, all the oxygen is being sucked out of the room by the Trump campaign.”
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...trump-attack-says-pows-owed-apology/30670799/

Stevedolphin and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  2. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He probably shouldn't hold his breath :coffee:

3. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    McCain needs to apologize to me for making me vote for Palin for VP.

4. dawg

Reputations:
    This is the most disturbing sentence in this article. 78 years old and still wants to dictate.

"McCain, the 2008 GOP White House nominee now seeking a sixth U.S. Senate term, discussed Trump, the Republican presidential race and other topics in an extended question-and-answer session"

LaserT and floplop like this.
  5. dawg

Reputations:
    Another term for McCain, wow :facepalm:

Samurai likes this.
  6. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    People like you made him the front runner.

Dorb likes this.
  7. PI Nate

Reputations:
    Minorities?

8. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    Trump was the best thing that ever happened to McCain. When was the last time anyone mentioned his name other than calling him a war monger who holds Lindsey Grahams purse when he pees.

Samurai and Anyonenow like this.
  9. Shortwave98

Reputations:
    Someone voted for the guy. I mean republicans.

10. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    People with egos the size of a galaxy do NOT apologize for anything ever!

11. PI Nate

Reputations:
    I didnt have any idea what you were referring to, since you couldnt possibly know who I voted for in the primary.

1Vegasgirl, sstressed and Shortwave98 like this.
  12. Shortwave98

Reputations:
    A Majority of republicans apparently voted for that mess.

13. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    It's really bad, but check out these:

Hillary Clinton wants to be elected President at age 69
    Dianne Feinstein CA age 82
    Orin Hatch UT age 79
    Barbara Mikulski MD age 79

There are 23 Senators age 70 or older. Tell me that they have what it takes to make the best decisions..no way.

14. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Our military supports Trump over McCain by double digits.

15. hypo666

hypo666 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Trump should apologise as soon as mcloony apologises for riling things up in the ukraine and trying to start ww3 on numerous occasions... Trump is saying a few home truths about the republican party,the candidates themselves and how the neo cons are despised, by most of the base these days, now if he would turn his guns on the bible thumpers as well.You know why trump is doing so well? the sad fact is he is actually a better candidate than the rest.A showman with a dead fox on his head who brags about how rich he is {masterful by the way, why deny it and be embarrassed about it like the rest? own it!} ,who calls people mother fuckers is leading the pack. And the fact the other candidates are in serious trouble trying to deal with him shows how weak they are, as how could any of them cope with putin? I hope trump tears the republican party apart and in the ashes emerges a real conservative party.

Skipnoid, cg256, Tyrus and 2 others like this.
  16. dawg

Reputations:
    And where did you get this info? You making stuff up as you go along?

17. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Hey! Buzz off you bozo! I'm 71 and my brain is working better than 90% of you clowns here at Dawgs!

smichal likes this.
  18. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Trump took all the air out of the room, if you want to be noticed you have to mention Trump.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  19. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i'm a vet and i don't need an apology from trump. i would like one from McCain for being a useless piece of shit who won't retire .

eat shit McCain. :fuckyou:

20. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    You must have confused me for someone else.

A YouGov poll conducted through Wednesday not only shows that Donald Trump’s support has surged among Republicans in the wake of the backlash against unfortunate comments the billionaire businessman made about Senator

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)

43%

’s war record, veterans currently serving in the military view Trump more favorably than McCain.

Among current veterans, a full 53% view Trump favorably compared to just 41% for McCain.

cg256, Barry Soetoro and 1Vegasgirl like this.