Measuring the stern show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I wonder how much show time Howard actually puts in each day. Ideally, we could measure hour by hour how many minutes of the following there are:

1. Commercials
    2. Phony phone calls/ replays of old bits/Bumpers
    3. Live reads
    4. Robins news

Suntracting from 60 mins / hour, we could assemble some profiles. The only problem is that it involves someone listening I that torture for four hours every few days and reporting back...

does anyone feel like chipping in? My thoughts were to simply post in this thread with a date, time period and one of the following categories:

1. Commercial/bumper/replay of old bit/phony phone call
    2. Live show
    3. Live Interview
    4. Robins news

example:

monday/08apr14, 0600-0630, live show

with enough data, we could compile a profile. Thoughts?

2. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Look at the listening thread. No one listens anymore.

3. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hi everyone...bigfan bigfan

You should first start w/the nearly 10-minute deficit that kicks off the show. There's no show till the opening bits/songs are done. Easily 6:05+ Just last week he came on the air w/the phony "g'morning evrahbuddy" voice and said "six minutes after the hour..." so it appears there's no transmission lag. They roll tape @ 6am and Howard comes on a little later.

It was during the terrestrial days (not long after the local affiliate dropped him post Janet Jackson) that the show came on a few min after 6am, and Howard was apologetic that the show started "late", that promptness was his way of doing things, etc.

I picked up on the slow start right around the time his lawsuit got the boot. So began the days of contract-to-the-letter, clock-punching, five days of commercials into three, etc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  4. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah. I don't think anyone cares anymore. There's no way were going to measure out an entire show at once. Best chance is piece meal. If you find yourself listening an want to send back some data , go for it .

note that that 10-minute pause in the beginning is them queuing time in the daily buffer. They start promptly at 6, and when you finally hear them, there's already a huge buffer built up. That's how they prevent the random real callers from getting through.

5. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Get Mark's Friggin to do it.

6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is that true? Damn, no wonder it's so sanitized.

The version that I listen to is about 4 hrs +/-

When...um...I record it with my paid sub and then...I...take out all the commercials, all that's left are the bumper bits, but no bumper music. Also, the 5-7 minute intro is left in.

Maybe that's why I can still listen. Honestly, if I had to hear all of the commercials and live reads, I would quit all together.

Always felt dirty after listening to the bottom-of-barrel advertisers who are the only ones that will go on his show.

And as everyone can relate to, when I used to listen live on the radio, often times, almost my ENTIRE 20 min commute would be commercials. Pissed me off.

7. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I thought that was the case. But anymore I look at the clock to see when Howard starts talking just for the heck of it/to see how long they'll drag it out. Last week when he said "six minutes after the hour" it was 6:06.

If I'm wrong, meh. But like I noted, I picked up on this as a change after the lawsuit was tossed. It was the same time that "ending on time, getting to the news" came into the picture.

8. pfchongs

pfchongs Active Member

Reputations:
    Whats suntracting?? You fucking idiot.....

9. gilbert

gilbert Member

Reputations:
    I listen to every minute of every live show every day. It's still the people I grew up with... just everyone is older now. I get it and don't hate it! Machete Kills was a great interview.