mediamonkey?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by squigglyline, Jun 13, 2014.

1. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    I have a fuckton of mp3's that I want to organize, correctly label, and associate the correct artwork to with an automated process. Anyone ever use mediamonkey for this kinda stuff? Is there a better alternative program?

2. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
  3. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Try Pied Piper. They supposedly have THE best compression.
    [​IMG]

4. squigglyline

Reputations:
    Looks like that's really just the technology - not an actual software app...

5. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    You're probably not going to like this but Itunes is a fine program for that type of thing. It'll do your movies and ebooks too. The only bad thing about movies is that they have to be .mp4 files.

6. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Mp3tag

7. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Mediamonkey is AWESOME. Best program out there. I have been using it for many years and I'm still happy with it.

I use Mediamonkey for my library, I use this one for batch re-naming and tagging: http://www.xdlab.ru/en/

It can pull info and images from Amazon to add them to the tags.

Bullshit. Itunes is fucking shit. Big, slow, shitty propriety bullshit Apple formats... Fuck that shit.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    :jj:

9. gwartney

Reputations:

Do you maybe mean proprietary Apple formats? non-proprietary would mean open, which it is. If you think it requires Apple formats, you haven't even looked at it. It works with .mp3s fine. Use what you want but don't condemn something just because of its brand name.

10. P-B

P-B Honourary Canuck Gold

Reputations:
    MediaMonkey is awesome. That's all you need to know.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    mediamonkey works fine; itunes works fine. most of these programs have been in development for more than 10 years. anything able to stick around, still get new customers, and still be actively enhanced for > 10 years is pretty much guaranteed to be a decent system. which you pick depends upon which features you think are important. I want wireless remote access, and i like getting very high quality rips for almost no cost (unlimited 256kb AAC for $25/yr), so i use iTunes. i used to use other tools when i had different equipment but now I have mostly Apple and Sonos and iTunes works well with those. When I had Logitech wireless speakers i used different software - I learned the hard way that the best equipment has a higher pricetag

12. squigglyline

Reputations:
    So far, I've found a little over 16000 mp3s spread out over one drive. I've got 4 more drives to look through. Tons are not named and tons are likely duplicates. I gotta get this shit organized somehow. I'm trying to stay away from itunes as much as possible for now but will likely have to resort to it at some point in the future. Ultimately, once they are all organized and labeled properly, I'm going to rip my entire CD collection. I HATE going digital but I have to... This shit takes up waaayyyyy too much room...

I'm in the same boat with digital pictures as well. That'll be my next task...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  13. gwartney

Reputations:
    For individual rips, I use Goldwave. It does a good job of converting FLAC. It does batches as well but If I'm just going to plug in a CD, I use Itunes @ 320Kb to MP3.

14. gwartney

Reputations:
    I'd love to hear of a solution. Unless the metadata has the information, it's a manual process for me. Itunes will automatically pick up the album art after you get it named properly and the tagging correct but it's the price you pay for having odd mp3's. MP3tag works real well for that but, again, I've found that the Itunes interface is the easiest for me. It also has a duplicate file finder.

Photoshop essentials comes with a good photo organizer but, unless you are going to edit, it seems like a waste of money (around $60). Photoshop Bridge is part of Photoshop but it is really expensive. I don't know of any other photo organizer but I bet there are some out there that other folks use.

15. gwartney

Reputations:
    Sorry to be using all of the bandwidth on this one.

I don't want to sound like an apple sheep because I did everything to avoid using it for years. I'm all in now except for desktop and laptop. Here's what I do with Apple.
    I have all of my CDs in Itunes, mostly at 320kb
    I have most of my movies on Itunes (converted to .MP4 which is a pain in the ass)
    I have all of my ebooks on Itunes.

I have an Apple TV connected to my main TV with my Audio system. The Apple TV is connected wirelessly to my Network. I can play music through my audio system or TV and I can play movies all wirelessly. I can also access any of that through my Iphone or Ipad at home. It will do photos too but I'm not really interested in that.

I'm fairly techie but this is a really easy and painless solution.

16. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I thought this thread was going to be about Gary

17. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, I meant proprietary Apple formats... :hat:

Everything you buy in the store is not MP3.

iTunes is bloated as hell. It installs a bunch of additional stuff you don't want or need. Mediamonkey is a lean, mean, no-nonsense machine. It handles huge databases beautifully, and it doesn't have anything that you don't need. Just look at the difference in installer sizes: iTunes: 107MB, Mediamonkey: 14MB

And 256kb AAC isn't "very high quality". It's a lossy format that sounds like shit when played on a decent audio system.

Trust me, Mediamonkey is what you want. It can also batch organize files and create folders automatically. It might be worth it for you to get the Gold version. It'll be 25 bucks, but it will probably be worth it for you for the extra features you get.

You should consider ripping your CDs in FLAC. If you have decent speakers, you will hear the flaws of MP3.

Tagscanner and Mediamonkey can also do that for you.

18. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    Uninformed opinions presented as facts, and therefore irrelevant.

19. wetback

wetback #1 Asshole VIP

Reputations:
    Do not use iTunes you'll be fucked, forever

20. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    Still irrelevant