Mega Millions vs. Jeff Bezos

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MyLazyHand, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    How crazy is the Bezos empire?

Amazon is up $3 per share pre-market this AM. With 85 million shares in place, that means Jeff Bezos has increased his net worth by $250 million before the market opened today.

The winner of Mega Millions will net a similar haul for the richest lottery in American history. Bezos nets his lottery-style profit BEFORE BRUNCH in a single day.

Where are we in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Will our super-rich make a billion dollars before 9AM?

I'm a capitalist and a conservative, but our system is (going to be) horribly corrupted by these mega-rich guys. Can't we change the capital gains taxes over $100,000,000 for cripes' sake?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    For many here at the Shed, they will be in the ground.

3. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I was Bezos, I'd be in San Diego having the most gorgeous young Mexican whores delivered to me in 30 minutes or less by drone.

4. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    It's not like his money is sitting in a closet. It's working through investment. I'm sure he personally employs lots of people and spends loads of cash. As humans, our first reaction is to try to get our piece. But frankly, government is no friend to the poor. There are more in poverty now than ever. Congress and Obama pick winners and hand out cash to their "friends".

5. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    There is going to be a collapse. It's inevitable and cracking open any history book of the great and fallen empires of world history makes it plain to see.

6. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's fucking bullshit, they pay 15% tax on capital gains while everyone not only pays at least double for income tax, but the poor and working class spend most of their income putting it back into the economy, these thieves that are buying their tax breaks from Congress are just amassing wealth as a status symbol.

The 400 richest Americans control more wealth than 150 million other Americans.

Then they shift the issue by saying that the fault of the economy is because of poor people, instead of them paying a fair share of tax.

7. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Is Bezos gay? My gaydar is beeping. :bigthink

8. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Thank goodness you can focus on the real issues. Some people would claim you don't have the ability to talk about a broad range of subjects, but you continually prove otherwise.

Other than his wife, who fucking cares if Bezos is gay? I care that he can bring home Mega Millions payouts and be taxed a tiny fraction of what the rest of us pay. When is it enough, already?

We have a progressive tax system on income so that "the rich" contribute a larger share of taxable income. The super rich don't make $100 in real income each year because they pay themselves with stock or stock options (see creepy Mel Karmazin for example).

Why should Bezos net $200 million today and not pay for it like income?

9. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Early on, Amazon was showing zero profit yet their stock was more valuable than Texaco.

[video=youtube;rylud6kRNCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylud6kRNCw[/video]

10. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Christ, you fucking shrike. I was just asking a question.

11. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, I remember that. Like around '99-'00. And it wasn't just Amazon. Soooo many stocks were valued at these ridiculous $/share and had yet to turn a profit.

That's part of the reason for the dot bomb collapse. Over-inflated and overspeculated companies. Ridiculous. Then the same thing happened to the housing market.

12. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    The goal should be for all of us to create a company like that, not how we can take his wealth from him. He will buy expensive things, which will be made by us peasants. He will employ lots of workers and he will continue to build a company that is important to us. Good for him. Though I do want that!

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, but he didn't create the company, right? He just sort of stepped in shit and took over after the creator died, no?

14. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    And then Google buys Boston Dynamics! I dunno about you, but I'm excited about this acquisition! :D

15. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Reminds me of the t.v. show Fringe, where the big, uber-bad company was called Massive Dynamic.

God, that show was great.

[​IMG]

16. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    I believe you are right, however, that is case with many companies and few take it to the next level and beyond. His vision created the company you see today.

17. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Oh, without a doubt, I'm sure the shareholders jerkoff to his image.

18. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Have you ever played a MMORPG? Something like Everquest, World of Warcraft, etc? Their economic system reflects whats happening in our society. At first, there is such a limited amount of money that the value of a dollar is very high. Items in these games, shortly after launch, sell for mere dollars or cents. As time goes on, money becomes so common place that inflation kicks in. The same item that sold for a mere dollar at launch would sell for hundreds, or thousands, of dollars a couple years later...

... this hyperinflation makes life difficult as a new player, joining up about a year after launch. So the developers do what you think theyd do... they incorporat3e money sinks. Items to invest in for absurd amounts of money. This keeps people from attaining economic escape velocity, from achieving critical mass, from overcoming that threshold where making money becomes easy.

if youre still reading this, youre fucked in the head.

19. Spazzmatazz

Reputations:
    I've never seen the show.
    But I've watch Boston Dynamics for years. Now that they have some serious money behind them? Just watch!
    (what can we build now?) :c

[video=youtube;6b4ZZQkcNEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4ZZQkcNEo[/video]
    [video=youtube;QAIHpNFZ-Us]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAIHpNFZ-Us[/video]

20. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Fringe was a great show. It started off as this quasi-cop-procedural-type show and then...things started to get freaky...

It's also a great show if you're into head-trippy kind of things like alternate universes. Every day, you make decisions: sometimes small, sometimes big. The theory of alternate/infinite universes means every time you made a decision, another version of you makes the other decision and their life moves on that path.

In this show, two separate universes nearly collided and some of our people (and some of theirs) crossed over. :eek:

Oh yeah and the other universe blamed us (rightfully so) for causing fractures/tears in their universe so they sent mercury-eating humanoid-like robots here to kill us and assume our identity. :eek: