Metallica Destroys Apoloo

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by nearly.normal, Sep 22, 2013.

1. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Metallica ‘Destroy’ New York City’s Legendary Apollo Theater

by Chuck Armstrong September 22, 2013 10:51 AM

[​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire When it was announced that Metallica were to play the legendary Apollo Theater in New York City, fans had no idea what they would be in for. After all, the capacity of the Apollo is 1,506 and Metallica are used to playing shows of 50,000 and above. But with the help of SiriusXM, the band gave fans the show of a lifetime, with nonstop, in-your-face metal packaged in an unbelievably intimate setting at a historic venue.
    The motto for the night was “Never Before … And Never Again.†Never before had Metallica rocked the Apollo, and if the slogan is any indicator, this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The show was an exclusive event for SiriusXM listeners who were lucky enough to win tickets to the gig, but that exclusive feeling wasn’t unique to the concertgoers. It was obvious the band was humbled to be playing on such an illustrious stage. At one point, frontman James Hetfield said in a very honest tone, “I can’t believe they let us play this place.â€
    Opening with the first song of their professional career, ‘Hit the Lights,’ and sprinkling in classics like ‘Master of Puppets,’ ‘Blackened’ and ‘Creeping Death’ — along with two tracks from their most recent studio album, ‘Death Magnetic’ — Metallica didn’t hold anything back. Sure, there were no pyrotechnics, there were no massive LED screens and there was no crazy, high-tech light show. But that didn’t matter. When cranked to 11, all that’s needed for a killer ‘Tallica show is pure, raw rock ‘n’ roll. The night wrapped up with an explosive rendition of the authoritative ‘Seek and Destroy.’ No song could have better ended such a highly charged performance.
    In a time in their career when everyone wants to know when the next studio album will drop, Metallica have done a great job of keeping fans interested and engaged in other things. Whether it’s their first full-length feature film, ‘Metallica: Through The Never,’ that hits IMAX theaters this week (Sept. 27) or playing an intimate show to fans that was broadcast throughout North America on their very own Mandatory Metallica channel on SiriusXM, the band always seems to have something up their sleeves.
    Speaking of new music, though, there was one point in the night that came right after ‘Blackened’ when all four members started an unfamiliar jam. For a few minutes, nobody in the crowd knew what was coming out of the speakers, other than that it rocked. As they wrapped up the jam, Hetfield cracked a joke about the new album. Knowing that they have hundreds of riffs already, it’s very possible that fans at the Apollo and SiriusXM listeners tuning in at home heard history in the making and got a sneak peek into what’s to come with Metallica.
    The second part of the night’s motto was simply, “… Because Lightning Doesn’t Strike Twice.†Metallica are a force to be reckoned with, and no matter where they go or what they do, they do it with the utmost professionalism and excitement, keeping their fans in mind every step of the way. Metallica will never play New York City’s Apollo Theater again, and we’re OK with that. After all, it makes the show that much more special to those who were lucky enough to experience it, whether in-person or through their radio speakers. Metallica came, they saw and they … destroyed!
    Exclusive Photos of Metallica Live at New York City’s Apollo Theater:
    [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire [​IMG]Spencer Kaufman, Loudwire Metallica Set List – The Apollo Theater – Sept. 21, 2013
    ‘Hit the Lights’
    ‘Master of Puppets’
    ‘Ride the Lightning’
    ‘Harvester of Sorrow’
    Kirk Jam #1
    ‘The Day That Never Comes’
    ‘The Memory Remains’
    ‘Broken, Beat and Scarred’
    Trujillo Jam
    ‘(Welcome Home) Sanitarium’
    ‘Sad But True’
    ‘Orion’
    ‘One’
    ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’
    ‘Blackened’
    Kirk Jam #2
    ‘Nothing Else Matters’
    ‘Enter Sandman’
    Encore
    ‘Creeping Death’
    ‘Battery’
    ‘Seek and Destroy’

2. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Say what you will about their albums in the last 20 years, but that's a killer setlist.

Did they ban the blaeks from the building?

3. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    That is one hell of a set list. Wow, good for them. Hope everyone had a good time that was lucky enough to see them. They actually played the song Ride The Lightning? That's awesome!
    Guilty as charged but damn it ain't right, some else is controlling me. Death in the air, strapped in the electric chair. This can't be happening to me.
    Who made you god to say, I'll take your life from you? Flash before my eyes... now its time to die..
    Burning in my brain...I can feel the flame

4. cygnus2112

Reputations:
    ^^ kirk still can't play the spider chords mustaine used in that song! Lol

5. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:
    Its easy to hate Metallica, but Death Magnetic was a very good album.
    Robert Trujillo brought a new energy to the band. That dude is a beast.

6. cygnus2112

Reputations:
    Yea he is a really good bass player. And yes, death magnetic I enjoyed very much as well. Never hated metallica but they disappointed me a lot in the 90's. Saw them 4 times live and they knew what people wanted to really hear and would only play like 2 or 3 new songs tops off a new album. I saw them back in 1984 or 85 when they first released ride the lightning and I dont remember if i ever heard them play the song ride the lightning live. That must have been amazing. And you know Howard had no idea what 90% of those songs were on that Apollo set list. Haha

7. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Subscriber event"...lol.

8. Eddie Blake

Eddie Blake I love guns and cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Seek and destroy? Why don't you fags listen to some real fucking music instead of these commercial hacks!

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;EDNzQ3CXspU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDNzQ3CXspU[/video]

9. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Best was the opening intro.it was the O&A western theme went to the point where They say its the O&A show .and the host Jose kept talking about the " Sirius Family "
    A theme that was probally lost on Howard as Metallica was there just to make a concert just for him

10. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Old and tired.

If this or that went a little bit this way or that way, these fucking losers would be playing at state fairs.

11. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Did Hetfield at least say something about SiriusXM unlike Sir Paul McFuckney?

12. Bosch76

Bosch76 2016 Politics POTY Gold

Reputations:
    You stupid fuckhead, they have been using that Clint Eastwood movie song for 20 years.

get teh fuck outta here you O&A fag.

13. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    holy shit does lars look old in those pics..he is not aging well at all

14. LobsterTails

LobsterTails Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm sorry I was the biggest Metallica Fan since Passing around the bootleg demo tape in school before the record deal in the early 80's.

However now when I listen to them or if I go to the concerts I feel like some kid should be pointing and laughing at me like when I used to do the same to old middle aged stone fans who rocked out to those old guys.

I'm done....

16. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

ditto that!

me and all my buddies enter to win all those exclusive events and never win....

shiiiit

17. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    Completely wasted on Stern and his crew. Side note, I own the LTD version of the Snakebyte James is playing -- say what you want about his inability to write a great song these days, he has a killer signature guitar :c

18. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "I went backstage with my daughter and I said James please please an autograph its for my daughter and he waved me off Robin"

19. gd9tsd9tas9sa9

gd9tsd9tas9sa9 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    they put more effort into thier show than the cuckhold howard . yes I know that they have used that theme for years .
    You need to get something else going for you in your life defending an emasculated closeted homo is really lame .now go find a penis to slobber over till howard gives you his

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  20. cygnus2112

Reputations:
    LTD/ESP= over sold guitar Center garbage. Almost as bad as Schecter, Markbass, or that Beringer crap they try to push on people or Emo wannabes trying to start a shitty band.
    I can't believe you have to add $1000 to those pieces of crap just for the headstock to actually say "ESP" and not "LTD". In the 1980's to the early 90's ESP guitars were great. My friend had the Hetfield ESP explorer in white. Back then he even paid over a grand for it.