Michael Moore in studio

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ruffypup, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Ruffypup

Ruffypup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Soon?

smichal likes this.
  2. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wow, that would be special. Like all the planets lining up in the shape of an asshole.

3. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I guess that'll be a stay at home day for Robin. They aren't fittin' both of them in there.

4. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Another phony "defender of free speech".

Yeah, as long as the people speaking are in lockstep with you political views...

Rebel rebel...

5. kingship

kingship Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Michael Moore has got to be one of THE biggest fucking hypocrites alive. The fact that so many people STILL believe his "breakthrough" bullshit project, "Roger & Me," makes me fucking crazy. The movie's entire premise that the head of GM refused to meet w/ the fat fuck is a lie. Did you know the he sat down w/ Moore (on videotape) no fewer than three fucking times? When asked why he didn't call out Moore for his bullshit, the GM Pres said he didn't want to give Moore any press. To think, if he would have set the record straight some 30 years ago, chances are the scam artist would be living the life he expouses for everyone else, instead of a millionaire. Fuck that fucking fuck right in his eye socket. The only POS worse than him is Al Sharpton. At least Moore doesn't have the blood of innocents on his hands. Cock suckers.

6. Humongous

Humongous Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I missed it. What did he do?

7. Psyche

Psyche Freethinker

Reputations:
    The fact that people still get riled up by this fuck proves how effective of a charlatan he is. It's not his supporters who prop him up- it's his absurdly vocal opposition.

If he farts they leap.

I treat him like Satan... Or Al Sharpton. I pay him no mind which makes him meaningless.

8. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    U.S. Sniper Bryan Sikes replies to MM

Mr. Moore-

Good afternoon there sweetheart, I hope this finds you alive and well. You can thank our men and women of the armed forces for that, by the way, and that also includes us cowardly snipers. It seems you’ve found time between licking the jelly off your fingers and releasing your grasp of a bear claw to tweet some junk about snipers being cowards.

My buddies and I got a good laugh over the tweet, so I thank you. For a guy worth $50 million dollars, you sure have quite a bit to bitch and cry about. I guess like a moth to flame, you too gravitate towards things that are popular and in the moment — in this case it’s snipers. Too bad for you that your attempt at being relevant via your 70+ year old family experience has failed. It has only made you look dumber than a bag of hammers. Next time you should try something more original than going after snipers for one reason or another…that was so last month.

It’s typical of “men” like you to criticize the intestinal fortitude, focus, discipline and patriotism of a sniper. It must stem from an inferiority complex or something. But hey, it’s okay cupcake. We snipers are thick skinned and the efforts of world class turds such as yourself to portray us in a negative light only makes us laugh. If you and I were in the same room, I’d throw you a smile and gently pat you on the head knowing you’re nothing more than a mouth breathing, Crisco sweating waste of space not even worthy of being in the presence of a sniper. It’s almost funny how people like you preach things like ‘acceptance’ and ‘not passing judgement’ or ‘labeling people’, but then are the first to do so when a person is in some way dissimilar from you.

So tenderfoot, I leave you with this final thought: what if you found yourself in some sort of hostage situation where you were held at knife-point by some crazed person and they were dead set on making an example of you by bleeding you out on Hollywood Blvd in front of the world, and the only way out was with the precision aimed fire of a sniper? Would you want that coward to take the shot? Because knowing how you feel about snipers such as myself and your hatred of firearms, I’d probably drop the mag, roll the bolt and go get a Jack & Coke before helping you out.

Very Respectfully,
    Sikes

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:flag:

9. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    For the longest time, Moore claimed that he was not a millionaire. As in, after 8 movies and a dozen books, his net worth was less than a million bucks.

What a terrible liar.

Honkey Donkey, smichal and reno like this.
  10. PI Nate

Reputations:
    Michael Moore estimated Net Worth, $50 million. It was made public when his marriage went kaput...:lmao:

Honkey Donkey and smichal like this.
  11. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Which would be the bigger challenge: being Mrs. Howard Stern, or being Mrs. Michael Moore?

Petal, Jayla and smichal like this.
  12. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What he is, is a hypocrite. He was at the occupy Wallstreet protest. He was protesting the 1%. Fatso IS the 1%.

Ta Ta Toothy, smichal and PI Nate like this.
  13. PI Nate

Reputations:
    Remind you of anyone?
    [​IMG]

Ingens, Jayla, reno and 1 other person like this.
  14. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    All I ever think of when I hear that douches name:
    image.jpg

15. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I dunno... I cut Moore a lot of slack. Nobody goes into documentary film making expecting to make a lot of money. He has his agenda, and executes it well. I like the fact he is a shit disturber, especially on issues like health care and guns that really matter. The guy has had multiple death threats against him. I expect he would keep doing what he is doing no matter what, it is simply what he believes in.

As for his comments on snipers, they don't bother me. They are not anti American. I think they pretty much acknowledge war and the military have changed. I expect anyone in war would rather face their enemy than have bullet (or missile) launched from far away. Let's face it, we send the young and the poor off to war, always have. It is all pretty fucked up IMHO.

Hamster, Thikken Vaney, ARM and 2 others like this.
  16. No Head Games

No Head Games Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This country needs more Michael Moores and less Mitt Romneys.

17. PI Nate

Reputations:
    He believes in making money and used to make fictional films that dopes take for gospel...:coffee:

smichal likes this.
  18. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    We need less of both - and if you think differently you're an ideologue asshole.

19. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Fantastic movie. Thanks for reminding me.

25 years later, 'Roger & Me' still packs a punch
    By Julie Hinds, Detroit Free Press 12:26 p.m. EDT October 6, 2014

The Michael Moore of 2014 is fired up.

He's standing behind a podium, addressing a documentary film conference at last month's Toronto International Film Festival and delivering a 13-point manifesto with the timing of a stand-up comic and the passion of a Winston Churchill.

"Stop making documentaries! Start making movies!" he says, urging those present to embrace their role as entertainers.

Rallying the troops to drop old labels like "documentarians" and stop underestimating the intelligence of their audience, he states that, as a filmmaker, the art is more important to him than the politics.

"Yeah, you heard me say that," he adds.

"If I ignore the art, if I have not respected the concept of cinema and if I haven't understood why people love to go to the movies, nobody is going to hear a damn word about my politics and nothing is going to change."

And that, film buffs, is the message the 60-year-old Moore has stuck to ever since he rocked the world of General Motors with 1989's "Roger & Me."

On Tuesday, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is celebrating "Roger & Me" with the release of a 25th-anniversary Blu-ray edition, DVD and digital HD of the film.

The film, newly remastered and restored, also will get a limited re-release in certain cities. Michigan screenings are not yet scheduled.

The movie made Moore, a former crusading editor of the Flint Voice alternative newspaper, famous. It launched a career that would bring an Oscar for his 2002 film "Bowling for Columbine" and a record-setting $119-million box-office take for his 2004 film "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Movie review: 'Roger & Me,' 25 years later

Back in 1989, "Roger & Me" was all about the politics. The Detroit Free Press called it "a big black eye in the making for General Motors" and covered its repercussions in the auto industry extensively. Phil Donahue brought his daytime talk show to Flint in 1990 to explore the buzz about the film.

A quarter-century later, the film is considered more than a satirical critique that used Moore's purported quest to talk to GM chairman and CEO Roger Smith as a frame to tell the story of Flint's terrible economic decline after GM cut 30,000 jobs there.

General Motors Chairman Roger Smith poses with a Geo Storm at the company’s headquarters in July 1990. (Photo: Richard Sheinwald/Associated Press)

Today, "Roger & Me" is best known as the little movie that changed the face of documentary filmmaking.

"I think 'Roger & Me' is a linchpin film in modern documentary making, " says Thom Powers, the documentary programmer for the Toronto International Film Festival and a Detroit native.

"Prior to 'Roger & Me,' documentary-making was shrouded in a kind of earnestness, and 'Roger & Me' sent a strong message that a nonfiction film can be entertaining, that it can employ humor and a strong point of view."

Powers invited Moore to Toronto for last month's 25th-anniversary screening of the movie at TIFF. It was a sentimental homecoming, given that "Roger & Me" in 1989 won TIFF's top prize, the People's Choice Award.

Says Powers: "I think that it was to documentary-making what hearing a Beatles song would have been like for a young kid who went on to play rock 'n' roll."

A vision catches fire

A generation ago, the only documentaries to get wide theatrical releases were themed to music, like 1970's "Woodstock."

But "Roger & Me," which was fueled by Moore's nothing-to-lose state of mind after he was fired in the mid-1980s as editor of Mother Jones magazine and found himself collecting about $100 a week in unemployment, changed all of that.

After it made a splash at film festivals and started winning over critics, Warner Bros. bought the distribution rights for $3 million and opened it across the country. It went on to earn $6.7 million domestically, according to Box Office Mojo.

That was a massive return compared with the cost of the film. Moore estimates that by the time "Roger & Me" reached the Toronto festival, he had spent about $150,000 on it and was probably another $150,000 in debt.

He says he always envisioned a wide release for the film. In fact, Warner Bros won over Moore with its plan for a release that he says stretched to 1,300 theaters.

"They were able to convince these theaters to take a risk and show this movie along with 'Lethal Weapon 2' and 'Tango & Cash' and whatever other stuff was being shown in the fall of 1989," says Moore.

It's ironic that Moore's dark comedy about GM's brand of capitalism opened the eyes of studios to the profit-making potential of independent films about real-life stories. But it wasn't the topic necessarily that drew audiences. It was Moore's vision as someone who had never previously made a movie of what a nonfiction movie should be.

From the start, he set out to defy the stereotype of a documentary as long, boring and totally earnest. At 91 minutes, "Roger & Me" moved quickly. It was funny. From the second you saw the goofy-looking font of the title and heard the bouncy introduction music, you knew that this was not your grandfather's documentary.

What ever happened to key characters from 'Roger & Me'?

"That font, the color of that font, had to signal right away to strap yourself in for a very different sort of ride. If you came in expecting a nature film from Canada or some sort of 'NBC White Paper,' you needed to be dissuaded from that immediately," he says.

"Roger & Me" was attacked by some prominent critics, including the influential Pauline Kael, who charged that it manipulated facts in ways that weren't appropriate for a documentary. But the movie received nearly across-the-board good reviews. Those who leaped to its defense against Kael and her counterparts noted that every film, even cinema verité, is whittled down and shaped by a filmmaker's editing decisions and personal viewpoint.

In the years since then, conventional wisdom has sided with the assessment of the late Roger Ebert, who in 1990 countered the criticism of Moore by writing: "He was taking the liberties that satirists and ironists have taken with material for generations, and he was making his point with sarcasm and deft timing."

Concluded Ebert: "Parts of 'Roger & Me' are factual. Parts are not. All of the movie is true."

20. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lasting influence

Moore's work spoke to a generation of filmmakers that followed him. It helped open the door to later works like Bill Maher's 2008 "Religulous," a skeptical look at religion; 2006's "An Inconvenient Truth," the climate-change primer hosted by Al Gore, and Morgan Spurlock's 2004 "Super Size Me," which chronicled the filmmaker's efforts to go on an all-fast-food diet.

Before "Roger & Me," Moore often points out, nine documentaries grossed $1 million or more. Since "Roger & Me," he says, 119 have.

The lasting effects of "Roger & Me" also can be seen in the political humor of TV shows like Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" and HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver."

Those series share much of Moore's pull-no-punches style, and, in some instances, a family tree with his films and his past TV shows "TV Nation" and "The Awful Truth." Moore is proud to count a number of former staffers as current comedy shapers. They include Kent Alterman, Comedy Central's president of content development and original programming,

He says that someone gave him a copy of the original pitch for the pre-Jon Stewart "Daily Show," which launched in 1996 with Craig Kilborn. "The first sentence of the prospectus said" 'We want this to be like "TV Nation." It should have a Michael Moore feel to it,' " he recalls.

Michael Moore has a few satirical words for Gov. Snyder

In the years since "Roger & Me," Moore has achieved the sort of success that most filmmakers can only dream of. The outspoken activist also has become a mainstream hero in Traverse City, where his beloved annual film festival, which draws film figures from around the world, just turned 10.

As "Roger & Me" marks a big birthday, Moore sounds grateful. "I feel very lucky and very blessed that I've had the opportunity to make a contribution," he says.

Yet he's also saddened by the economic problems that continue to plague cities like Flint and Detroit. In a recent interview with biography.com, Moore hinted at the topic of his next movie after noting that Flint and Detroit are in horrible shape.

"I'm in a place now where I'm so upset about it now that with the next film, there will be blood," he said with a laugh.

And a Michael Moore film? It can shake things up.

Contact Julie Hinds: 313-222-6427 or jhinds@freepress.com.

Gusbuss likes this.