News Microsoft says open source Windows is "definitely possible"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Mr Pink, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Microsoft has been doing a lot of very non-MS things lately -- giving away Win 10, opening their design channels to user input, etc.

It's clear that, while many things stay the same at MS, there is definitely a new attitude. That's the only thing which makes the above headline anything besides complete bullshit.

Hopefully these changes will bleed over to the dev side too.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microsoft-open-source-windows-definitely-possible/

Too long to post the whole article. It's from Wired though, so you can click without worry.

XaltedSmoke and smichal like this.
  2. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Seems plausible

Windows Basic _Open source- Pay for apps-Pay for support levels

Windows Home Premium-Paid-comes with some free aps Like Office Google Drive-A Basic Level Of Support

Windows Professional-Paid-More Expansive Office Apps Free Higher One Drive Storage-Even Higher Level Of Support

Windows Professional Enterprise-Paid- Ect ect ect.

3. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I have a Mac..:shitcoffee:

4. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    That's what happens when you miss the mobile train. Their new model will be based on their Azure products and apps/services model.

Nice job, Ballmer. :jj:

GoshGeeGolly and Mr Pink like this.
  5. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    That's cool that it does what you want it to do, but for some of us, Mac is a no-go.

Stinkfist and TeeDonkey like this.
  6. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yes I am forced to have a Windows laptop in work life...I do not like it.

GoshGeeGolly, Shortwave98 and smichal like this.
  7. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    I have a Raspberry Pi! Actually several of them.

WUT7272G7C and TeeDonkey like this.
  8. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Microsoft is in a long downward slide.
    NOTHING will stop it.

Their latest bullshit Windows Phone OS is a perfect reason why.
    Who wants a phone OS that won't let you save an email attachment?
    That's right.
    ANY Microsoft Windows Phone doesn't allow this.
    You can't even save an MP3 attachment as a Ringtone!

Their Phone App Store has no provision for refunds.
    Google Play can process a refund INSTANTLY!

As someone who made a good living using their older products, I've had enough of their "new and improved" crap.

Windows 8 is garbage and Windows 10 will be a steaming pile if they actually follow through and make it a universal platform.

9. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    They're doing some things that would have been unthinkable in the past but they're still doing a lot of famously dumb shit.

10. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I, like the rest of the world, didn't know Microsoft made a phone

GoshGeeGolly and FSFN like this.
  11. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It barely exists. And the user interface was designed by Fischer Price.

Same UI as the God awful Metro in Windows 8.

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  12. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think their phone OS is really good. It's missing a few features that make no sense today, but as far as being an intuitive interface, it's perhaps the most intuitive out there. I don't understand why RT was used on tablets. I pictured a tablet with the Windows Phone OS on it.

Mur likes this.
  13. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Have you used Windows Phone? If its interface is so crappy, why did apps and other mobile OS's feel the need to copy elements of it? Apple flattened out its icons and went more simple with iOS7. That was a direct result of Windows Phone. Live tiles are cool too. Scrolling has always been as good as iOS and never jittery. There are a lot of good things about Windows Phone. Windows 8 really hurt Windows Phone. People think the two are the same. They're not.

14. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You're obviously he kind of person MS wants as a customer, someone who doesn't need a smartphone to actually do productive things.
    There is NOTHING intuitive about Windows Phone.
    Windows Phone is such a POS that most of the popular developers have either dropped their apps for it or have crippled versions
    because of the limitations of the OS.
    BofA and Chase have pulled their apps from the Windows Phone App Store and the trend is continuing.

I got stuck with one because of my job.

You obviously don't use a a smartphone for real work.
    The fact I can't save email attachments at all is a non-starter.

The fact that the phone app store doesn't have an integrated refund function is shameful.
    Heck, MS doesn't even have a clearly defined refund POLICY for the phone app store.
    They don't even vet the apps on the app store.
    There are so many fraudulent apps that do nothing but take your money it should already be cause for a class action suit.

I just went round and round with them because I was ripped off by one of those BS apps.

15. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I wanted to give a few audiobooks to a coworker who has a newer Winphone. I put it on the SD card from my phone no problem, but he can't play them, because there is no way to download an audiobook app and the stock player won't remember playback position. And windows phone apps can only see the files they've downloaded themselves. The only work around is using SkyDrive, which won't allow you to play from an SD card, it must be loaded on to the phones memory. How a company can manage to screw the ability to read files on a phone is beyond me. Their only saving grace is that they're giving away the operating system and it's actually doing somewhat decent in Europe and rather well in Africa. The US phone market is pretty much done, it's Android then iOS, but the rest of the world is ripe for the picking.

But Windows 8 is the best operating system made to date, but that fact is just hidden under a shoved down your throat GUI that nobody was asking for.

Chibbs likes this.
  16. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Because my company gave me a POS Windows Phone that I must keep with me when I travel,
    I am forced to use my own Droid Turbo to get actual work done.

The fact that a Windows Phone can't even save an MP3 attachment as a ringtone is tells you Microsoft has no clue about the mobile market.
    I thought it was bad with Ballmer at the helm.
    People would have laughed if I told them it would only get worse after he left!

17. cg256

Reputations:
    I think Nadella has been leaps and bounds better than Ballmer as far as the consumer is concerned. Ballmer made a TON of money for Microsoft and kept it a stable company for years. Nadella has turned around and made it a consumer friendly company by putting Office apps on iOS instead of pretending that fencing it in was a good move, dumping Gold subscriptions to those who still play Xboxes, giving away the OS for phones (no matter how shitty it is, its a way to maintain fledgling market share), promising 10 for free for the Pi (It'll create a huge makers space which will create a ton of good will towards a more hardcore audience which has been jaded for years) , as well as getting everyone on the same page by upgrading all current users of Windows to a unified platform for free. He's making all the right moves keep Microsoft on top of the heap for years to come.

I can honestly say that Windows 8 was worth it. I got lucky and was able to upgrade for only 15 dollars the week it came out due to a "glitch". It's probably not worth paying full price to upgrade from 7, but for a power user like me the 7-10% performance increase equates to hours a month of saved time. From video rendering, large file transfers, the ease of multiple monitors (I have 4) compared to 7, boot and sleep times, and tons of other little improvements that add up to a big difference. The UI is abysmal, but 30 minutes of tweaking gave me an experience I couldn't be happier with.

18. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    EVERY initiative that Ballmet sheparded failed miserably.
    Te sorry state of MS in the Mobile world is a direct result of Ballmer's arrogance.
    I am very glad he's gone.

Microsoft should stick with the desktop and forget Mobile.
    They clearly don't understand it and waste time on features that no one wants or asked for.

As an Engineer and Software Developer, I much prefer Windows 7.
    I like the Aero interface and 3D effect.

Windows 8.1 does seem robust but the flattened Ui drives me up a wall.
    It reminds me of Windows 3.1.
    There is no way that change was made at the request of Windows Users.

I also have to disagree about how Microsoft treats customers.
    In fact, I will go so far as to call BULLSHIT!
    After getting ripped off by the Windows Phone App Store, the way I was treated by MS will be remembered.
    I will never buy anything from Microsoft unless I absolutely have to.

Their response to getting ripped off by an App is their App Store was to tell me that they didn't charge my card.
    They then told me I needed to work it out with the App developer.
    I pointed out that it THEIR APP STORE and there is no contact information for them in the App Store or in the App itself.
    The fact that their App Store can't process a refund directly is ridiculous.
    The fact that they don't even publish a refund policy is shameful

19. cg256

Reputations:
    Revenues tripled and profits doubled under Ballmer. He was good for the shareholders and that's about it. There is no excuse for them not offering refunds in their app store, but I think that problem is somewhat limited to their never used platform. I've had to deal with MS on a few occasions for refunds, lost/broken keys and can honestly say I feel as if they went beyond reasonable expectations to fix my problems.

My biggest beef with Microsoft is that they consider 8.1 a seperate operating system than 8, yet a free upgrade. But when I have to install/reinstall Windows, they force me to install 8, then upgrade to 8.1 instead of doing a straight instalation of 8.1. In that regard their customer service department just got a glazed over look in their eyes and said "Thats the way the company chooses to do it sir, nothing I can do to help you". I harassed them for a week and then eventually gave me a 8.1 key to use.

20. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:

There s no doubt that Microsoft did well under Ballmer.
    The problem is that it happened in spite of him, not because of him.
    Microsoft Office and Windows itself were the cash cows for a long time.
    Ballmer mishandled the mobile platform every time.
    His comments about Apple and the iPhone are downright embarrassing.

The more I use Win 81 without the Metro Interface I'm seeing some good performance.
    For my engineering work, it's still Win 7 Pro with a workstation level laptop.

I really hope they abandon this idea of a Universal OS.
    If they don't, Windows 10 will be a replay of the spectacular failure of Windows RT.
    http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/microsoft-touts-universal-apps-once-again/#story1