Entertainment Mike Patton, dude from Faith no More and etc., will perform before Rams game tomorrow night.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Daveindiego, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
  2. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head Darth Tater™ 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
    Perform oral sex on some dudes?

F Timmy likes this.
  3. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    A song.

4. Barton Fink

Barton Fink Plate Warmer Gold

Reputations:
  5. Swedish John

Swedish John Well-Known Member 2010 OG Gold

Reputations:
    :jj:

6. DarkFriday

DarkFriday If yer not cheatin' yer not tryin' Gold

Reputations:
    Because Faith no More is big with the NFL crowd.

7. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    It ain’t about Faith no More.

Dude is in about 20 bazillion bands because his voice is so epic.

8. DarkFriday

DarkFriday If yer not cheatin' yer not tryin' Gold

Reputations:
    But you said FNM :fil:

9. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot 2010 OG VIP

Reputations:
  10. Barton Fink

Reputations:
  11. Barton Fink

Reputations:
    Daveindiego likes this.
  12. BleedingGums

Reputations:
    Dude is bad ass

Big fan of this group

13. Barton Fink

Reputations:
    I saw Fantomas' first ever show at Slim's in SF.

I was standing next to Scott Ian during it.

14. BleedingGums

Reputations:
    zoben likes this.
  15. Barton Fink

Reputations:
    some reviews of Angel Dust:

"Faith No More’s Angel Dust is one of those masterpiece albums that come along every blue moon. Hot of the success of Epic, the band would delve into musician diversity and my God did they reach nirvana. This album is about as diverse as it can get and for me this ranks up with classics like Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper. Angel Dust was made in the 90’s but really it is one of those timeless releases that will never go out of style.

The bottom line is every musician contributes to making this masterpiece work and not fall into disaster. It is controlled chaos that works from start to finish. Putting on this album and listening in its entirety takes a lot out of you and is emotionally draining. It is almost too much to listen to in one sitting. While there were never hit singles like what came out of The Real Thing, the album was still a success. This band is full of true artists who didn't try to cash in, they made the album they wanted to do. Every song has its place and each song fits into the context of the album. It ebbs and flows from light to dark to heavy to soft. The album cover tells the story. There is a beautiful bird in from and a ugly scene of disgustingness in the back. It's Faith No More's masterpiece but it is also the most unconventional and uncommercial effort they could have done after their brief MTV hit."

"After several experimental, original and unfocused efforts before the arrival of frontman and lead singer Mike Patton; Faith No More gained widespread recognition with the release of 1989's The Real Thing. Featuring an unlikely and unmatched combination of funk, alternative rock and metal, Faith No More established themselves as being the most well-known act of their unique craft during the time. Angel Dust is an overall and obvious improvement and musical expansion over the Real Thing in many ways. Mike Patton's ultimately diverse and distinct vocal range is as chaotic and over the top as ever. The lyrics are silly and the entire album is filled with laid back humour, such as on tracks like: Everything's Ruined, Kindergarten and Be Aggressive. The whole album would be an ideal soundtrack for a movie because of the insanely addicting and catchy riffs along with overly epic and larger than life sound. Even the homage and cover of the 1969 movie "Midnight Cowboy" theme song shows why Faith No More should be taken in consideration to do soundtracks for a variety of films such as Trent Reznor and many other composers. Even the unusual album cover of a crane is already an indication of the frenzy and constant entertainment that will be packed throughout the album. The title "Angel Dust" captures a sense of urgency and desperation within most of the songs. The unremitting adrenaline and energy also gives the impression of being high on crack cocaine.

Faith No More is also able to execute a perfect western style theme on the track "RV" and seems like the type of song that would fit perfectly in a Quentin Tarantino movie. Even the slightly progressive metal influenced "Malpractice" would prove to have an important impact on the progressive metal and deathcore band "Between the Buried and Me" as they would later do a cover of that song. The theatrical tunes such as "Land of Sunshine" and the oriental inspired "Smaller and Smaller" and "A Small Victory" would be ideal for a road trip through the desert or mountainous landscapes. All in all, the riffs are surprisingly heavier on Angel Dust and Faith No More definitely demonstrate and clearly emphasize their metal influences more so than on the Real Thing. Furthermore, the bass is another important addition to Faith No More funk influenced sound and Billy Gould's bass slapping is reminiscent of the great metal and rock bassists such as Roger Patterson from Atheist, Sean Malone from Cynic and even Geddy Lee from Rush. It is also quite

Overall, Angel Dust is a must-have for any music or metal fan. It is a worthy asset to anybody musical collection and although Faith No More's sound is an acquired taste, listeners will be surely pleased with the refreshing humour throughout. Also there is truly no other frontman like Mike Patton, his on stage antics and live performances make him one of the most interesting men in the alternative rock and metal scene. Although quite well-known and popular, Faith No More are quite the mysterious and secretive collective as they went on a nineteen year hiatus before getting back together and released a brand new album in 2015. With an immense cult following, Faith No More are an extremely talented bunch of individuals who rarely seem to dissappoint even their most loyal fans. If there is one album to be chosen out of their entire discography, it should be Angel Dust because after all it is their unquestionable masterpiece and highest achievement."

"Faith No More struck it big in the mainstream on their third album The Real Thing. Finally getting widespread acknowledgement outside of California and Europe, fans were surely expecting the follow-up to be either on par or even better considering how the band had built themselves off the same blueprint they'd started with on their debut album. By the time The Real Thing came out Mike Patton's vocals were just considered a bonus on top of the great music Faith No More had always been making even before then. Enter Angel Dust, an album that took everyone's expectations and promptly dismissed them. You'll notice many Faith No More fans stopped being fans around this point in the discography because it quite simply wasn't The Real Thing. Where's the lighthearted thrash metal? The perfect melding of multiple genres into a cohesive whole? The fish out of water struggling and flopping around in the music video? Rather than compete against their previous records they burned everything down to the ground and veered off course into unknown territory.

All things considered, it was either this or we could've expected to see that douche from Red Hot Chili Peppers start a fight he wouldn't have been able to finish. Faith No More changed the game with this one. No, we will not be adhering to what MTV wants us to be at all times, we're a fucking rock band and we'll do whatever the fuck we want! I recall a documentary right before the release of Angel Dust where MTV had infiltrated the band while they were in the studio, bombarding them with questions about Nirvana. To which none of the members could relate to who Nirvana were or even acknowledge they were a band worth listening to. I

Most of the members took them and their questions seriously, unable to give them what they want but Mike Patton got his reputation at this specific interview for wasting their time with answers he knew they couldn't do anything with. Sometimes going on and on about nonsense like televangelism and how good his sandwich tastes as he ate in front of them on camera, crumbs falling from his mouth as he chewed in a slow obnoxious manner like a donkey grazing on grass. If The Real Thingrepresented what the band could do when they were trying to appeal to a mainstream audience, Angel Dust was about as anti-establishment as a rock record could get without being blatant unsigned punk rock in 1992.
    My introduction to Angel Dust though, was "A Small Victory", seeing the music video for it left me curious and I could discern that Faith No More had matured quite a bit since their last single with "Epic". I could use many fancy words to describe this album, but 'juvenile' isn't one of them. In part I owe "A Small Victory" some credit because had I not heard it right after hearing "Epic" I probably wouldn't have been so curious to find out what the hell this band was about or what exactly they were trying to convey. In order to understand the band I would have to shell out the money to buy an album, and I chose The Real Thingand would buy Angel Dust soon after. Both fantastic albums, but in their own unique ways. There are many paths to greatness, but this album is multi-faceted in its glory. There's no longer a sense of musical direction anymore because nearly every song on the album radically shifts the genre. I mentioned the poppy moments and the sludge metal that is "Jizzlobber", but then there's "RV", a bluesy spaghetti western heavy metal ballad that reeks of cheap alcohol, cigarettes and hookers... and it even slightly steals the underwater theme from Super Mario Bros.

It's hard to really put your finger on this album and pinpoint how this album turned out the way it did. Was it intentional? Hardly, Jim Martin wasn't even showing up to band practice and flaking on the band. He'd mention in interviews that the band wasn't giving him a fair shake and that Angel Dust wasn't the first time he'd been through this. He'd write guitar parts and record them on his own personal recorder at home. He'd bring the recordings to the band and show them what he'd made while they would cringe and reject his ideas. I hate to break it to Jim Martin, as I think he's a fine guitarist, but rejection is the name of the game. You can't expect to get it right the first time or even the tenth for that matter. Martin wasn't flexible enough for the band and I assume he let their opinions of his riffs and solos get to him on a level to where he became unproductive and thus removed from the band entirely after touring for the album. It's a shame, too. I've always liked Martin. Of all the guitarists that Faith No More worked with, I wouldn't say he's as diverse as Trey Spruance, but I liked his monstrous guitar tone and guitar solos. After replacing him Faith No More would permanently lose that and if it wasn't for him, I'd argue that Faith No More wouldn't even be listed on this very website to begin with as nothing that came after this can necessarily be labeled as 'metal'.

HeadNodsAlaArtie83 likes this.
  16. Barton Fink

Reputations:
    as @Bryce is to kimbra, i am to Mike Patton

:love:

FrancesTheMute likes this.
  17. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    That dude was an Anthony Kiedis wannabe.

Daveindiego likes this.
  18. Barton Fink

Reputations:
    you're a fucking know nothing tiny idiot.

Ace, zoben and HeadNodsAlaArtie83 like this.
  19. VeeB

VeeB I have a Full Member VIP

Reputations:
  20. VeeB

VeeB I have a Full Member VIP

Reputations:
    I fucking loved Slim’s. So many good shows.

redial, Daveindiego and Barton Fink like this.