Missouri bill would mandate parents be notified if their child...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dilkington, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Dilkington

Dilkington Active Member

Reputations:
  2. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Yes

3. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
  4. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Two fellers were going to the bathroom off a bridge. One said the water was cold, the other said it was deep. I think one of them was from Missouri.

5. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just read news story about a black man being killed by being shot 26 times and they interviewed the Sherrif who said, "It was the worst case of suicide I ever saw in my life".

6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Let's break it down for the lazy who can't think critically and easily fall prey to headlines and stories purposely designed to induce hatred and bias against political enemies.

1. A bill is not a law. Depending on the state, it might take ONE legislator to introduce a bill.

2. Such a bill wouldn't get signed into law anyway. Quote from the story; "While some local lawmakers have indicated support for a bill that would allow parents to remove their children from classes that teach the theory of evolution, Gov. Jay Nixon said he does not think it would be in the best interests of education." Nixon is a Democrat.

3. Another quote from the Governor of the state, elected by a majority of voters in the state. "
    Nixon said creationism is “what we study on Sunday, not on Monday.†Note, he did not proclaim "all religious people are idiots, I don't believe that fairy tale shit".

4a.
    State Reps. Dave Schatz, R-Sullivan, Paul Curtman, R-Pacific, and Dave Hinson, R-St. Clair, have said they think parents should be allowed to remove their children from classes that teach evolution. Well, there's three. Out of 163. Or fewer than 2%. There are surely more, but how many?

4b. It is currently legal for parents to remove children from classes where their religious beliefs are violated. Be it Muslims and sex education, or atheists from having any obligation to say a pledge or prayer. In some places one cannot mention morality in terms of religious belief. So, what if this bill had been inspired by a desire to protect religious beliefs instead of their desire to promote their own? Would that be different? What if they were atheists who wanted the right to remove children from religion classes or classes that taught creationism? Or does that not matter anymore, as since you don't believe, nobody should, and that settles it?. No rule of law, but law of men depending on who outnumbers who at any particular time. "They had their time now we have ours". You know, like a banana republic.

5. In Missouri, 76% of citizens self- identify as Christian., and 27% as "evangelical", with a further 10% as black protestant.. So 2% of the house legislators there propose this bill and the conclusion is that 78% are backwards and anti-science based on a tiny vocal minority seeking a political advantage in their specific highly evangelical districts..

6. Parents can already remove their children from schools they don't like and pay for private school. If Democrats nationwide would support vouchers, people could send their children to be educated where ever they wanted. Sounds like someone else besides a few creationists fear the competition in the marketplace of ideas. Who has more power to force their ideas on you, creationists in some church, or the state?

7. I wonder how many government schools would ever teach students that government is a necessary evil and should remain as unobtrusive in our lives as possible? Or would they prefer to indoctrinate children into the idea that government is the source of their freedoms and the solution to most of our problems?

What say we let folks hear all sides and choose what they believe?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  7. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
    :bj:

8. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    SL, I don't follow your premise.
    If 3 politicians say they want to raise taxes 100%, no one should report on it because that would introduce bias against them? :rolleye:

9. Dilkington

Dilkington Active Member

Reputations:
    Vouchers = profit scam. Thats all.

10. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Nobody said it shouldn't be reported on. Just the entire story, not the kneejerk reaction inducing parts. They actually did a good job of showing that the governor would never sign it. Because he's of the same party as the guy who runs the paper.

What they didn't want you to know is just how unpopular such a law would be among a majority of Republican voters as well. And that you don't have to rush out to vote Democrat next election to prevent your kids from being raised ignorant, because this bill has no chance and even if passed it has zero impact on kids who want to learn evolution. These bills are introduced for political posturing among a tiny subset of politicians. Churches are full of these "I'm more god-fearin' than he is" types. Dig around a little and you might find some of them have contested primaries coming up.

Again, critical thinking requires an OPEN mind. If one is working from the mindset that we're great and they're horrible, you're not going to get much more than confirmation bias in your reading. You will filter out the rest of the story.

11. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Good point. Let's eliminate taxes for schools and let parents pay for their own snot-noses' education like they do for clothing, food, insurance, healthcare, ....oops...they don't all pay for a lot of that anymore do they?

Boy, I guess it'd be hard to vote against someone who promises to educate, feed, and take care of your child so you don't have to.

12. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    One thing to consider is how many parents don't care for their children. They just don't. We can go ahead and rail on about how these parents are bums and how they need to take responsibility but the fact remains: They don't and they won't.

And what's left behind is a feral child who goes feral on society, which leaves us a choice: Are we comfortable later dealing with the results of these feral children by imprisoning them and say "I told you so!" OR do we make an effort to take on some of those responsibilities, as a society, in order to mitigate future costs to society?

I agree with you about many parents being bums, btw.

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, but you're avoiding the obvious outrage that an elected official clearly doesn't understand the most basic of constitutional requirements in a bill -- that being the 1st Amendment (no law shall be created that either promotes nor prohibits religion be created/enacted).

For a lawmaker to not get this, on the most basic level, is, in my opinion, grounds for a recall of that elected official.

14. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    People are responsible to educate themselves.

15. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;FFroMQlKiag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag[/video]

16. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    we spend the most per pupil in the world & are middle of the pack...no one reports that tho. another example of media deciding the issues

17. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    evolution in a a joke... everyone knows this is how it went down

[​IMG]

18. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't get this religious crap at all. I just don't get it.

19. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    for the past 50 yrs when all the tax dollars started flowing to your way of thinking, dads have disapeared, single moms with multiple kids they cant afford or parent have proliferated because of the tax flow. the situation is worse now than it was in 1960 after trillions spent. how do we get these neanderthols to think like most of us, focus on education & if you cant afford a kid, you cant have one.