Montana ex-teacher to be re-sentenced in rape case after outcry

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Sep 26, 2014.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    s3.reutersmedia.net.jpg
    Stacey Rambold, is shown in this undated booking photo provided by Montana State Prison on September 26, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Montana Department of Corrections

n">(Reuters) - An ex-teacher from Montana is to be re-sentenced on Friday for raping a 14-year-old student, after a court earlier jailed him for only one month in a judgment that outraged women's rights activists.

A prosecutor has recommended that former Billings High School instructor Stacey Rambold instead serve 10 years in prison for the 2007 rape of his pupil, Cherice Moralez, who committed suicide before the case went to trial.

Rambold pleaded guilty last year to one count of rape and was sentenced by state judge G. Todd Baugh to 15 years in prison, with all but 31 days suspended and credit for one day served. The sentence was later overturned by Montana justices for being unlawfully lenient.

Baugh was censured by state supreme court justices in July for suggesting Moralez had been "as much in control of the situation" as her then 47-year-old teacher. The judge has said he intends to retire when his term expires at the end of the year.

Rambold is to be re-sentenced by a different state judge in a hearing in which Yellowstone County Attorney Scott Twito will technically seek a 20-year prison sentence with 10 years suspended, while Rambold's lawyer will ask for a 15-year term with all but two years suspended.

Rambold was charged in 2008 with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent with Moralez, but she killed herself in 2010 before the case could go to trial, crippling a prosecution that depended on her testimony.

In a plea deal later that year, Rambold admitted to a single rape count, and prosecutors agreed to dismiss the case if he completed a sex offender treatment program.

The prosecution was reinstated after Rambold was dismissed from the program for breaking its rules on unauthorized contact with minors and for engaging in unapproved sexual relations with a number of women, prosecutors said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/26/us-usa-rape-montana-idUSKCN0HL14F20140926

2. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Guilty!!!!

3. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    throw that scumbag in syria

then again, the ISIS twats will probably give him a medal

4. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    What kind of wacky prison sentencing is going on out there? One is sentenced for a specified term but the it is immediately reduced. Bad news & good news thing?

5. Micheal Kenyon

Micheal Kenyon Here

Reputations:
    That case was pretty upsetting. You ruin a little girls life once, then a judge helps you do it again.

:snipe: to the both of them.

Thedomina likes this.
  6. Dismember

Dismember Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Colossal fuck up. 30 day sentence if he completed some shitty treatment! Throw that cocksucker from a helicopter.

7. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Where's @Mlaw? I'm not saying this guy shouldn't be beat and punished, but isn't that like a double jeopardy thing?

scoobyla and AmishGirl like this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  9. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    He isn't being tried again, his sentence was appealed, and overturned. It rarely happens as judges have very broad discretion. Because he pleaded guilty he subjected himself to sentencing, so no double jeopardy doesn't apply here. Sometimes there is agreement and sometimes there is what is called a "disparate recommendation", which is what this case had.

chuk and LaserT like this.
  10. LaserT

Reputations:
    Gotcha. Thanks M.

11. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    These fucks raped a 16 year old girl and posted it on Snapchat

[​IMG]

12. LaserT

Reputations:
    How I'd love to....

[​IMG]

Dreamking likes this.
  13. BethsBraneCell

BethsBraneCell Sandy Cunt Banned User

Reputations:
    It was a good day here in Billings, MT.

http://www.ktvq.com/news/former-billings-teacher-sentenced-to-10-years-for-rape-of-student/

Former Billings teacher sentenced to 10 years for rape of student
    BILLINGS - The former Senior High teacher who raped a 14-year-old student seven years ago was sentenced for the second time Friday in Yellowstone County District Court.

Judge Randall Spaulding ordered Stacey Dean Rambold to serve 15 years in prison, with 5 years suspended, for the rape of Cherice Moralez, who later committed suicide.

The girl's mother, Auliea Hanlon, said after the hearing the sentence ends years of frustration and sadness for her family. While sending Rambold to prison does not bring her daughter back, Hanlon said it does offer the family some closure.

"I'm happy," she said. "Very happy. And I'm so relieved because it's done. I don't have to think about it no more. He doesn't have to cross my mind ever again."

The hearing brought an end to the case closer it has lingered for seven years in the legal system. last year, the case grabbed international attention when Rambold received a sentence of 31 days for the crime. That sentence was later reversed by the Montana Supreme Court.

Before he was sentenced Friday for a second time, the 55-year-old Rambold offered an apology.

"I'm sorry for what I've done. Not a day goes by that I don't think about Cherice's family and my own," he said.

Hanlon and Moralez' father also testified.

John Moralez brought photos of his daughter to show the court.

"I wish this on nobody," he said. "A lot of birthdays and holidays, she's not with us. I'm just seeking justice, I don't think 30 days is enough. I just want the same justice as anyone else's daughter."

He said his daughter was kind and the kind of person people would take advantage of.

"I can't stand up here and hate the man, but 30 days just isn't enough," he said.

The victim's mother, Auliea Hanlon, also took the stand and gave emotional testimony.

"Stacy Rambold's actions were definitely a factor in Cherice taking her own life," she said. "He knew what was going to happen to her and he didn't care."

The first witness was state Probation and Parole Officer Michelle Downey, who was assigned to supervise Rambold in September 2013.

Downey said Rambold has had ups and downs, but generally he's done well. He reports when he's supposed to for appointments.

"We have more than weekly contact. He calls and emails me. He attended his classes and maintains employment," Downey said.

Downey said he found flirtatious texts on Rambold's cell phone and had him install 'covenant eyes' software on phone to monitor website visits, texts, videos watched.

Rambold was terminated from Mike Sullivan's sex offender treatment program and enrolled in Fred Lemons' program. He graduated from that program in July 2014.

Lemons said Rambold did very well in treatment, but Downey concerned about Rambold's Internet searches.

Rambold made a Craigslist search for therapeutic services with photographs of erotica. The images and search rated 'highly mature' by the covenant eyes program.

Rambold was looking for massage services and the image on the massage posting was of a young blond woman in a g-string laying provocatively on a rug with one breast exposed.

'His Internet searches have gotten more out of hand the closer he got to trial," Downey said. "He is likely stressed and he admitted it was a mistake to search those things.

That search happened this week.

Lemons talked with Downey about terminating Rambold from treatment, but these new searches mean Lemons wants him back in treatment. Downey said he should be ordered back into treatment as necessary.

Sex offender treatment is offered at the prison and Lemons could monitor Rambold's progress in program while in prison, Downey said.

During cross-examination by Rambold's attorney, Downey said Rambold was using covenant eyes since November 2013. Pryor to installing the program, he had a lean internet search history but had flirtatious texts.

"Craigslist can be used for finding jobs and Rambold was required to maintain a job," defense attorney Jay Lansings aid.

He did not go any further with the massage posting than simply clicking on it, said Lansing.

Additionally, Rambold clicked on '25 hottest sports fan playmates' on a sports website. Both the blonde woman on the Craigslist ad and the sports page image were submitted for evidence.

In regards to those two images, Downey said she would have had an intervention hearing. The images would result in an intervention, but not a petition for revocation.

Downey said working with Rambold has been "'moderately" difficult.Yellowstone County Attorney Scott Twito said the state's recommendation was for 20 years at Montana State Prison, with 10 years suspended.

"There can be no restoration to the victim now," said Twito.

Because Rambold did 31 days, he should legally get credit for those days and additional time under supervision.

Lansing recommended that Rambold be sentenced to 15 years with all but two suspended.

In Twito's argument, he said that everyone made a horrible mistake where an argument went forward which was contrary to the law.

Twito asked to remove any and all culpability on the victim's part.

"Victims kind of take it in some cases, but this is a different case," he said. "I've never seen a level of victim bashing as I've seen in this report."

Twito said that, despite all of the therapy and technology in place to make sure Rambold does not look at erotica, the bottom line is that he got an incredible break with the previous sentence and he was a contributing factor to why Cherice took her own life.

"He got a massive break because he blew through the boundaries that good teachers know about," said Twito.

Twito said all Rambold had to do was complete his program and he was terminated because he was around relatives' children, missed a few sessions and had a sexual relationship with an adult woman. But the biggest factor to his termination, according to Sullivan, was that he has never taken responsibility for his actions.

Rambold completed Mr. Lemons' program and is only considered a Level 1 offender.

"What bothers me the most about what he's doing is, though he knows he's being watched, he's still looking up ads for massage parlors?" said Twito. "He's a boundary pusher and that concerns me."

Lansing argued for the defense recommendation.

"We've never said that her conduct is a defense - never," said Lansing.

Lansing said the state's request for a "do-over" would violate Rambold's protection against double jeopardy and due process.

"He's had no violations of the law and he has worked, and you can guess Judge, that it's not easy for him to go out and get a job," said Lansing.

On September 15, 2014 he clicked on those images of the women, but Lansing argued that's not sufficient to justify an increased sentence.

"Nobody in this room knows what it's like to be Stacey Rambold, but Stacey Rambold," said Lansing.

Lansing said media reports and blog posts had destroyed his life and caused him depression.

Hanlon, speaking after the hearing, said nothing Rambold saiod in court changed her mind.

"I just wanted to see him behind bars for some length of time," she said. "I don't care if it's two years or a hundred years, just not 31 days."

14. Dreamking

Dreamking The dogs of doom are howlin' low...

Reputations:
    LT:

I don't condone violence but I do like your taste in GIF's..

DK

LaserT likes this.
  15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Did the 14 y/o (at the time) commit suicide because of the damage the guy did to her emotionally, or because of the emotional tumult of having her sexual contact with this older guy exposed and kept in the news while it was being adjudicated? I can imagine that's not something she'd want to be "famous for" around town.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The family of suspect Rashad Deihim says they don't know where he is after police connected him to the brutal attack on the young teen girl.

17. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Holy fuck! Mlaw actually posted something with actual value.

18. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What? No female shedders asking "Where was this guy when I was in High School?".