Monument Marks Lennon’s 70th Birthday

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dawg, Oct 9, 2010.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Liverpool unveiled a new monument honoring John Lennon and his promotion of peace Saturday, on what would have been the Beatle’s 70th birthday. Lennon’s first wife Cynthia and his son Julian attended the ceremony, and Julian urged the audience to not be “morbid,†but instead “enjoy the joy†of his father’s music. The monument is a colorful globe with symbols of peace and music, as well as two hands reaching toward the sky, a keyboard, a white feather, and dovesâ€â€all symbols of Lennon, his son said. The ceremony kickstarted the city’s two-month-long celebration of Lennon, lasting from his birthday until the anniversary of the day he was shot to death, December 8, 1980.

2. DFWTexan1975

DFWTexan1975 The Saloon News Anchor

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  3. Smell Muhfinger

Smell Muhfinger "is just really nice?"

Reputations:
    RIP Johnny, you are missed. :tears2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  4. deverrant

deverrant VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I can only imagine what kind of events and memorials there will be in December... on the 30th anniversary of his death.
    That will be a sad, sad day.

5. panties

panties New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I heard a nearly interview with Julian where he talks about how his dad and the cunt screwed him outta some cash and, despite how much I sympathize, he really let the dignity fly out the window. Pretty cringe worthy

6. panties

Reputations:
    Whos death?

7. DFWTexan1975

DFWTexan1975 The Saloon News Anchor

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

8. panties

Reputations:
    Man 75 year old ladies look hot in Leopard and snake skins

9. panties

Reputations:
    :nocheer: oh really? Thanks

10. panties

Reputations:
    I figure, in the few years prior to getting killed, he was really starting to gain control of himself and get back to the sweet guy he once was. I bet he woulda given Yolko the heave ho, too. Bad timing all around, I say

11. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    who is Mark Lennon

12. deverrant

Reputations:
    He was not a good father to Julian, that's for sure. I don't think he was ready or ever wanted to BE a father (or a husband) at that point. Especially since he didn't really know what "good" parents were. NOT that this is an excuse, but it's the truth regardless. BUT from what I've read he tried to re-kindle the relationship in his later years. He wanted Julian and Sean to be like brothers, etc. From what I've read it was Yoko who was the driving force in keeping the families separate. She was also more "book smart" and "finance-savvy" than John. She primarily dealt with the money.

BUT who the fuck knows. It's all speculation at this point as far as I'm concerned.

"Sweet guy"? Are you being facetious again?

13. panties

Reputations:
    Again, I love John before he went bonkers. And I was saying that he was coming back around again in his later years.
    And as for the cringe worthy stuff, I was referring to Julian and they way he was whining.
    Im only clarifying all this for you because of your recent revelation, Devy.
    Normally, and for anyone else, I wouldnt bother :D

14. deverrant

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm a true devotee. But say what you wanna say, panties. Anyone who loves the Beatles, regardless of which is their favorite obviously has MY respect.

And I don't dislike Paul in ANY way. He's just not my favorite, mainly because I don't care for his solo/Wings shit and because John seemed to have more to "say" and made more of an evolution as a person. But as a musician, Paul was the most talented, no doubt. He could play anything he picked up... just mind-boggling.
    The Beatles wouldn't have been the Beatles or done what they did if the line-up was ANY different. When Paul dies, it will hit me HARD. I guarantee it. I love all of them. So anyone who loves them as a whole or any one of them can say whatever they want.

15. ohnoes

ohnoes New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    It always works out that way...Americans are morbid fucks. The date of a famous person's death is easier to memorize as opposed to truly celebrating their lives.