News More Adult Children Living With Parents Than Ever!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, May 24, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    For young Americans, living with their parents is now the norm
    The kids may not be alright, at least when it comes to one traditional mark of growing up: moving out of their childhood homes.

More young adults are now living with their parents than with a spouse or partner, marking a tipping point for the first time in modern history, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center. About 32.1 percent of Americans between 18 to 34 years old lived in their parents' homes in 2014, edging out the 31.6 percent who were married or living with a partner in their own household, the analysis of Census data found. The remaining 36 percent either live alone, are single parents, or live in dorms or with other relatives.

The trend appears to be tied to a few factors, including what Pew calls a "postponement of, if not retreat from, marriage." While changing society norms may be part of the cause, it's likely also tied to economic and labor market trends that have walloped a few demographic groups, such as men, people without college degrees, and people of color. Some might start families and form their own households later in life, but it's clear that for many young Americans, their priorities have shifted, either from choice or necessity.

"Young adults today are having a different transition into adulthood than previous generations," said Richard Fry, a senior researcher at Pew. "In previous generations, setting up new families was a basic thing young adults were doing. Even in the 1980s, half of them were married. Today's young adults are moving away from that."

While the recession and weak recovery may have fed into the trend, forcing some young Americans to live at home if they had trouble finding a job, the shift started long before the most recent economic downturn, Fry said.

The share of young men and women living with a spouse or partner has been falling since the 1960s, the research found. About 56 percent of young men and 68 percent of young women lived with a partner or spouse in 1960, while only about one out of five still lived with their parents.

But after 1960, the share of young Americans living in their own homes with a spouse or partner started to dwindle. At the same time, the labor market was transforming, becoming less rewarding for men and especially men without college degrees. The labor force participation rate for men of all ages slipped from about 83 percent in 1960 to slightly more than 69 percent now.

Wages for men have also stagnated over the past few decades. On an inflation-adjusted basis, men earned median annual wages of $52,421 in 1973, which had declined to slightly more than $50,000 in 2013. Women's wages and labor force participation, on the other hand, have largely increased during the same period.

"The labor market hasn't been kind to young men," Fry said. "Increasingly they are unable to afford to live independently. It also explains why many fewer of them are married or cohabiting. They are probably less desirable as partners given their sinking fortunes."

Less educated young Americans and people of color are more likely to be living at home than their white and college-educated cohort, the research found.

The share of young black and Hispanic Americans living with their parents hit a record high 36 percent. About 30 percent of white young adults are living with their parents, by contrast.

About 36 percent of young adults without college degrees are living at home with their parents, while only 27 percent are married or cohabiting. Among college-educated young adults, the picture is sharply different, with 46 percent living in their own homes with a partner or spouse and only 19 percent still at home with their folks.

"Generally college-educated adults are doing better in the labor market," Fry said. "They can afford to live independently of their parents, and they are increasingly desirable marriage partners."

The rise in young Americans living at home has implications for the economy, Fry added.

"This is why the housing market hasn't been particularly robust since the recovery," he said. "They aren't forming households. When you form a new household, there's a lot of spending that goes into it. It's not just the rent; there's the furniture, the cable company subscription, the mops and buckets."

2. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    pretty much half this board

3. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    How long do you have to have that homo as your AV?

4. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    until the end of the stanley cup :down:

PI Nate, IfTheyOnlyKnew and Mojopin like this.
  5. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    My son figured out real quick living at home affords a nice lifestyle. He has no plans of leaving. I left home at 16-17.

F mutt

6. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
  7. AxlCorey

AxlCorey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Embarrassing. As a teen...becoming independent was something to look forward to. There wasn't a question of when it would happen either....you do it ASAP.

8. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    :hhh:

IfTheyOnlyKnew and OkbyeEric like this.
  9. garypagetwo

garypagetwo The Gun Gold

Reputations:
    I don't think @dawg lives with his parents, I cant imagine Dawg sr. putting up with his new vaping hobby

10. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    shut up gary

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Lou Loomis like this.
  11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Is vaping popular in Oslo?

MAEROZE likes this.
  12. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Left home at 18 never looked back. I have some syblings that needed to stay longer and get their thing going no issue. My brother really got ahead living with my pop (after few years away)....rental properties stashed cash....he is living a good life and lived with my pops until 26 I think.

That said having kids , I like be my kids and if they needed to live with me for a while to get ahead, I'm all for it as long as there is a plan.

13. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My 49 yr old loser brother

14. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    when i was a teen, my mum would tell people that on my 18th birfday, i was goneski!

i couldn't imagine having to live with the folks. get some room mates for pete's sake. sheeesh!

PI Nate, Xent and Divorce Chicken like this.
  15. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Kids have no interest in driving or cars either :facepalm:

16. EasyJesus

EasyJesus Pappy Gold

Reputations:
  17. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rents and housing costs have changed this game Imo

18. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller floating around

Reputations:

welfare gold

19. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    Vaping, American Politics, Marge Schott impressions from 1992, speaking with Ohio accents. It's a very diverse country.

20. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

I buy most of the economic stuff but I would've rather lived in ghetto squalor on my own than live with my parents. That is the real difference IMO, more so than the economic and less people getting married reasons. Kids today actually WANT to be with their parents, and Im not sure wtf happened.