more important than stern so watch it

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by vaginapoosie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
    [video=vimeo;37119711]http://vimeo.com/37119711[/video]

Note to the naysayers:
    I'm sure there will be some questions that need to be asked before jumping right in to any charity, but as far as I'm concerned, stopping this monster is something that has been a long time coming. Whether it's suspicions regarding this all just being propaganda to obtain oil in Uganda, or some other underhanded measure for the US to gain an upperhand, it doesn't matter at this point. The point is to raise awareness about this monster and save those children. Period.

2. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Vid didn't work. Cliffnotes please..

3. hockeygrl

hockeygrl Cancer hand Gold

Reputations:
    I've watched the video, tugs at your heart for sure (okay, I cried a little too). This vid has been popping up all over facebook today.

In contrast tho, I did find this article, stating only 31% of $$ goes to actual programming. Seems people think they are trying to promote their film more than that charity itself.

We got trouble.

For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren.tumblr.com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts.

UPDATE: Facebook has blocked this blog. Complain here and post on Facebook about visiblechildren.tumblr[dot]com instead. And tweet a link to this page to famous people on Twitter who are talking about KONY 2012!

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countriesâ€, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on funding African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.†He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

As Christ Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.â€

Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children supports military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re supporting the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on supporting ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.

~ Grant Oyston, visiblechildren@grantoyston.com

Grant Oyston is a sociology and political science student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia, Canada. You can help spread the word about this by linking to his blog at visiblechildren.tumblr[dot]com anywhere you see posts about KONY 2012.

4. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    see, hockeygrl, i agree with your post, but only to an extent.

i think it's wonderful facebook is helping to educate and make people aware of this man's intentions. and i understand that invisible children may be like a PETA-type organization where half of it sounds wonderful, and the other half sounds corrupt. sorry, but i don't think we're ever going to find a charity in this world that is 100% clean and pure. and until this video? the majority of the people who watched it had no idea who kony was, including myself.

i went and bought the kit even after reading articles like the one you posted. yes, even after reading skeptical articles stating that kony is no longer in uganda and the US is using this propaganda in order to take control over the land to seize the oil there, i still am supporting the cause. and do you know why? because it doesn't matter. what matters is that this world needs to start caring more. and if KONY 2012/invisible children are helping to expose evil in this world and get people active in doing something about it, so be it. my concern is for the children and the families being terrorized. if some charity executive wants to pay themselves $88k/year, so be it. if the director wants to gain glory with his film and showcase his cute kid to tug at our heart strings, so be it.

when it comes down to it, the important matter here is that people who use the internet to read tabloid stories about kim kardashian and play farmville all day long are actually learning/doing something proactive with their lives. they're realizing there is a world outside of hollywood and their tv set. this is a good thing. and, yes, questioning is great too-- but we can't expect miracles here. these are the same sheep being led by the media. but if this facebook propaganda is what it takes to wake people up from their self-absorbed lives, it is a step in the right direction.

so with that said, nothing is perfect, no plan is infallible. what needs to be remembered here is that we are trying to raise awareness to save these children and families and prevent any further tragedies from happening. and i know just because kony may get caught doesn't mean it won't persist. i'm sure for every kony there are a hundred more men behind the scenes who are truly causing this warfare. but for now? let's just focus on the positive and start teaching the self-absorbed AGT watching sheep that there is something else out there worth being concerned over... that there is a world out there that we are ignorant of and need to be accountable for.

5. hockeygrl

hockeygrl Cancer hand Gold

Reputations:
    I agree. It is a very worthy cause and hopefully this will put the spotlight on a bad situation and help bring about some change.

6. Joe Mamaw

Joe Mamaw New Member

Reputations:
    I'm so fucking sick of people spamming this shit everywhere. NOT America's problem. fuck that gay ass film, the faggot who made it, and anyone that spams this shit.

7. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
  8. JB50

JB50 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Vid doesn't work. Is this about some Africans or something? If it is I'm with Langford WGAF.

9. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    It's not a problem that effects just Africa. It's a problem that affects humanity as a whole.