More young women having dogs instead of children

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Except for the young part, this reminds me of someone.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/more-young-women-choosing-dogs-over-motherhood/

LIVING

[h=1]More young women choosing dogs over motherhood[/h]By Antonio Antenucci and David K. Li
    April 10, 2014 | 10:46pm

Modal Trigger

[​IMG]
    Agelika Kocoronis Doukides (left) with her Yorkie-Maltese mix, Meli, and Yael Friedland with her morkie, Harley.Photo: Gabriella Bass

America’s next generation of youngsters should be called “Generation Rex.â€
    If you’re wondering why playgrounds around the city are so quiet and dog runs are packed, a new report has an answer: More and more US women are forgoing motherhood and getting their maternal kicks by owning handbag-size canines.
    Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that a big drop in the number of babies born to women ages 15 to 29 corresponds with a huge increase in the number of tiny pooches owned by young US women, reports the business-news site Quartz.
    Dog-crazy New York ladies told The Post that they aren’t surprised by the findings — and that they happily gave up diaper changes, temper tantrums and college funds for the easy affection of their doggy “child.â€
    Modal Trigger[​IMG]Photo: Gabriella Bass

“I’d rather have a dog over a kid,†declared Sara Foster, 30, a Chelsea equities trader who says her French bulldog, Maddie, brings her more joy than a child.“It’s just less work and, honestly, I have more time to go out. You . . . don’t have to get a baby sitter.â€
    The federal data behind the report show that over the past seven years, the number of live births per 1,000 women between ages 15 and 29 in America has plunged 9 percent.
    At the same time, research by the American Pet Products Association shows the number of small dogs — under 25 pounds — in the United States has skyrocketed, from 34. 1 million in 2008 to 40.8 million in 2012.
    Modal Trigger[​IMG]Yael’s pup Harley celebrates her birthday.Photo: Photo Courtesy Yael Friedland

“Women are not only having fewer children but are also getting married later. There are more single and unmarried women in their late 20s and early 30s, which also happens to be the demographic that buys the most small dogs,†market researcher Damian Shore told Quartz.
    Asked if he thought the drop in baby births and the rise in puppy ownership was a coincidence or if women these days were really making dogs their little bundles of joy, Shore said, “There’s definitely some replacement happening there.â€
    Dog lovers interviewed by The Post said the trend has long been going on in the city, where single women with pocket pooches have been a standard for years.
    Mary Smith, 25, of Murray Hill, said her 6-month-old French bulldog, Toliver, brings her as much joy as a baby would.
    “Dogs are better! Look at Toliver! He’s great, except he snores a lot. He even has his own Instagram,†Smith said during a walk with the pooch. “A dog is easier to transport than child. It’s less final than having a child.â€

2. Adolf Martling

Adolf Martling Active Member

Reputations:
    "Pretty soon, the animals will outnumber the humans, an' I don't mean no dogs."
    \
    [​IMG]

3. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    This is a Buchwald plant. :coffee:

4. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they're just using them to meet guys at dog parks

5. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Dumb bitch naming a dog Toliver. :facepalm:

6. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    We're already over populated with humanity. I prefer this.

7. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    In a related story, peanut butter sales are up 125% in the last 5 years.

8. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    A dog isn't going to buy your Depends when you get old.

9. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    These women, who are actually young unlike Beth, are likely not interested right now or not feeling a general need to have kids. Beth is the opposite in every way. She doesn't want kids because Howard doesn't want kids. She'll sacrifice the opportunity to have a child for the money and lifestyle Howard provides.

As for the pets, most people like pets. I believe Beth likes dogs and cats. As for making it such a focus of her life that is easy. She is a bored trophy wife. That is why those rich woman go on shows like The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. When you are that rich and bored what do you do. Well for starters you don't want to have to actually work. Therefore just like Sam Simon said you get involved in a charity. Unlike Angelina Jolie who works with starving kids in in shitty parts of Africa, Beth chose a charity that requires no manual work just photo ops and fundraising parties. Do you think Beth ever does manual labor at NSAL like helping clean the cages or answer phones? Fuck no. But make a calendar with her in every month, she's all over it.

Finally you have to love the title Beth gave herself, "Animal Activist." Name one other animal shelter Beth has ever worked at, helped, or is associated with? Does NSAL have a non-compete clause? Bob Barker is an animal activist because he actually used his own money to buy a huge ship to stop whale poaching. Beth ironically volunteers at one of the worst rated animal shelters because its in the Hamptons. I didn't know one of the richest areas in the country had a issue with stray cats.

Enough of my rant.

10. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
    When I was single and dating I always pretended I loved any animal that my dates had as a pet. Even though I'm allergic to cats I would pet that pussy and then punt it across the room while her owner was "slipping into something more comfortable"

11. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Funny story. I was at a store, forget if it was a grocery or a Target or whatever. . . . anyway, there was this woman, probably around 50, shopping with her elderly mother was in one of those motorized things stores provide for the elderly and/or crippled. You know, the ones with the basket up front.

The basket was stacked with Depends adult diapers so high the old lady could barely peek over the mountain. My gf kind of whispered, "oh, that's sooooo cruel!"

I figured the elderly woman did something awful to her daughter way back to justify it.

12. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the people who shouldn't be having kids are shutting out more than ever because the govt rewards it. We are doomed.

13. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm totally ok with this. Not everyone needs to have kids, and not just because of overpopulation issues. Many people are just too fucking stupid/crazy to raise another stupid/crazy shitbag that society has to take care of.

14. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Perfect- Overpopulation is the cause of a ton of problems in this country.

And most of these young woman are not cramming dogs down your throat on instagram, Hamptons magazine and their wigged-fraud husband's radio shows.

15. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    Anyone who says dogs bring as much joy as kids either has never had kids or would have been a shitty parent. Before I had kids I had $1,000 reward if found on their collars. I need to scratch out two zeros before someone finds one.

16. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I get that not everyone should have kids (to put it mildly). The chick in the article that says her dog brings her more joy than a child could, for example, should be sterilized.

17. AllAboutHim Ed

Reputations:
    White people aren't the ones overpopulating.

18. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

By all means, please don't have kids! This 30 year old cunt still thinks she's 18, she still hasn't reached that point when grown-ups become tired of the bullshit related to hitting bars and clubs.

My wife's sister was the same way, she actually complained that the people at the clubs started to seem so young, we said no you are just too damn old to go out 5 nights a week! As soon as her shithead friends started having kids in their mid/late 30's, she had to also. Now we have to suffer watching a grossly incompetent mother and her out of control brats. :facepalm: Maybe we should have just bought her a dog??

19. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As a general rule kids are a bad investment, plus for the first 2 years you try to get them to walk and talk, then you spend the next 16 trying to get them to sit-down and shut-up!:banghead:

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    But with the $250,000/child you save you can afford a nice Haitian caregiver.