MP3 vs. VINYL - They Call Me Baba Booey

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BudBudha, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    [video=youtube_share;9pCIxeiOuIA]http://youtu.be/9pCIxeiOuIA[/video]

:bored: or fascinating?

[​IMG]

2. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    I listen to a shit load of tech podcasts. And there are a shit load more out there that are probably good, but I don't have time to listen to. Why the fuck would I want to listen to Gary talk about tech? He doesn't have any bona fides in tech. He's a fucking hobbyist like the rest of us. He brings nothing to the table when it comes to tech journalism. And I'm not just slamming him because I dislike him--it's just silly of him to try to establish himself in this area. It's already full of articulate people who know a lot more than he ever will.

3. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    fucking untucked shirt... again

4. bobabooey

bobabooey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hahaha! Gary bought a shit ton of laserdiscs. Stupid fucking monkey.

5. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Lets talk about sound quality with a guy while using a communication system that sounds a step above using two tin cans and a string! :rolleye:

6. Wigless

Wigless Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes that was ridiculus.

7. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I just can't believe he's getting paid for this. I. MEAN. REALLY.

8. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    well i made 2.25 into that one and i'm into audiophilia. both of them are fucking annoying. did gary tell him how much better certain songs sound in his jukebox?

9. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I actually liked the subject matter, it's just that Gary always seemed to me like more of a behind the scenes guy than a "front man". His delivery just doesn't seem that natural. However, I do find the discussion of digital vs. vinyl interesting. I remember the record industry forcing CDs down our throats as they cashed in....CDs didn't skip (bullshit), they're a perfect re-creation of the recording session (bullshit) and they're indestructible (bullshit). I agree that records sound much better than CDs and of course MP3s. I also like the discussion of the origins of MTV and gadgets that seemed so great at the time but quickly flopped. The problem here is Gary's hosting ability hasn't improved since he made the "My personal life is a noine" video for his ex-girlfriend.

10. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...mp3 or vynal....whats there to talk about? is he a thomas edison fan?

11. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    At least Gary didn't do an infomercial for a product to start off the show. He should have rocked his 45 single adapter necklace for this episode.

12. JaredWD

JaredWD Active Member

Reputations:
    You can store hundreds of albums in an mp3 player; it is portable, and the signal never degrades over time. You can even get most mp3's for free if you know where to look on the internet. But this faggot insists on lugging around a heavy stack of vinyls because the sampling frequency is marginally higher :rolleye:

[​IMG]

13. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
  14. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
  15. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    "uh gee. you mean lossy compression means information is lost?"

16. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    that's not the point the jackass is presenting. its not that vinyl is better technically; its that many people prefer the sound of vinyl and when pressed they identify the lack of noise in mp3s and cdroms as the reason. of course Gary has issues with English so its no surprise that he also doesn't understand the issue of vinyl vs digital is one of personal preference.

of the people i've talked to about this, those who fight the most for the alleged superiority of vinyl (1) did not grow up with vinyl, and (2) consider themselves semi-professional audiophiles (or professional assholes).

17. Mr Doodle

Mr Doodle Active Member

Reputations:
    Wow that vinyl guy was a crackpot. Where does Gary find these nutjobs? Hes a good host tho

18. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i know a guy with a first class fcc radio license, hes an engineer taking care of the technical and studio part of the radio business. hes even set up new transformers for stations and has an incredible vinyl collection over more than 40 years. he will tell you digital mp3 (forgot the number to look for) is the highest sound quality you can get.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I prefer the warm, grainy, crackling sound of a victrola.

20. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    I knew all this shit already. Gary is better to be heard than to be seen and he needs to lose the mustache. There's just something off about his presentation, I don't like it. The thing that annoys me is that he has as much credibility in this field just as you or me, honestly. I did liked his segment about the Laser Disks, though.

But, I wonder why they didn't talk about SACD. Him being a self-proclaimed technology guy shouldn't have missed the opportunity to talk about this beautiful format. It's the only consumer-grade format that matches/surpasses vinyl. It has an insanely high resolution and it has a unique and wonderful sound to it. Less warm than vinyl, but incredible precision and depth. I heard a demo (SACD vs a normal CD and an MP3) in a store on a very high-end system and I was blown away by the depth, clearness and calmness of the sound. It was nothing short of amazing, you gotta hear it.

I love vinyl, by the way. I have some of my favorite stuff both on CD and Vinyl. I hardly have any MP3's anymore, most of my new shit is FLAC. MP3's are fine when I'm at the gym or in my car.