MUSIC IN CRISIS: Album Sales Hit Stunning 23-Year Low...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Album Sales Hit A New Low
    By Ed Christman and Glenn Peoples | August 28, 2014 8:59 AM EDT

[​IMG]

The market for albums continues to recede, following a (now) long-standing trend that has been accelerated by streaming's success.

As streaming gathers momentum, the U.S. music industry keeps breaking sales milestones -- the wrong kind.

This week's 3.97-million album sales tally is the smallest weekly sum for album sales since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991. It's also the first time weekly sales have fallen below four million in that time span.

Last week was fairly slow for the top releases. The top album, Wiz Khalifa's Blacc Hollywood, debuted with sales of 90,000 units, a figure below the first-week sales of many other top debuts of 2014. Three other albums debuted inside the top 10 but averaged only 31,000 units apiece. And the Frozen soundtrack is no longer moving in excess of 100,000 units per week.

To compare, a year ago this past week (ending Aug. 25, 2013), 4.88 million albums were sold. But sales have been losing steam all year. The weekly average number of album sales fell from 4.75 million units in the first quarter to 4.55 million units in the second quarter. In the first 8 weeks of the third quarter, the average has fallen further to 4.2 million.

This decline is actually in line with historical trends. In 2013, average weekly album sales experienced a similar fate, falling from 5.7 million units in the first quarter to 5.23 million units in the second quarter and then 4.86 million units in the third quarter. This year, overall U.S. album sales are down 14.6 percent, while digital album sales are down 11.7 percent and track sales are down 12.8 percent.

As more and more consumers transition from purchasing music to streaming tunes, it's natural to see album sales shrink. This year, there have only been five weeks where album sales were above 5 million.

Larger retailers and CDs, vestiges of an older record business, have been hit the hardest. Through August 24th, CD sales are down 19.2 percent year-over-year while sales at mass merchants and chains have fallen 23 percent and 25.6 percent, respectively.

Record label sales executives are not surprised by the latest downturn. "Sales have been going in the wrong direction all year," says one label sales head. "I guess its overdue, when you look at [the growth of streaming]." This year, label executives finally conceded something there were reluctant to acknowledge last year: Streaming is cannibalizing digital sales.

Last year, when Billboard covered the then-historic lows in album sales last August, weekly sales had dipped below 5 million units for five weeks in a row. Weekly sales fared even worse in the following weeks, falling under five million units in 10 of the next 13 weeks. There was even another five-week run of below-five-million weekly sales from early October to early November.

The five-million-unit mark has been almost unreachable in 2014. So far this year, weekly album sales have fallen below that threshold in 29 of 34 weeks and in each of the last 18 weeks. No weekly sales tally has exceeded 4.5 million units since the middle of June.
    "What can I say about this week's sales," says yet another distribution sales executive. "I remember when album sales fell under 10 million units and the industry reacted like it was a tragedy."
    There is yet more bad news about the sales trend. Since album sales began to slide in 2002, the lowest-placed weekly sales floor by the end of the year tends to become the new ceiling for sales in the following year. Past history teaches us that, if weekly sales continue to fall below the three million mark, next year's norm will be in the three to four million range.
    While some major label executives claim that revenue from streaming, which continues to grow, is offsetting declining digital sales revenue, not everyone agrees with that assessment.
    "This year the bottom fell out of digital sales to a degree that we never anticipated, which is why many companies are not meeting this year's revenue projections," laments one indie distribution executive.

And I bet that none of those genius executives will even consider that music as a whole is dying due to lack of any new talent. And that fact that they themselves destroyed music with their greed and decisions to push shit on this generation of kids who are now fickle and will just move onto other things. The days of true music fans are long gone.

2. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    You pretty much said what I was gonna say here. I think GenX folks would still buy music but there is nothing out worth buying. Most bands worth a damn are stuck on Indie labels.

3. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's great music out there today, you just have to find it

icypussy likes this.
  4. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Folks have more to do and or listen to now... fuck em

5. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Mainstream music is sucking worse than an imploding black hole......I will say that I like to watch "Later with Jools Holland" Kinda' an British version of "The Midnight Special" To see bands I would never hear of because of the absolute saturation of urban horseshit or tired old overplayed just don't wanna' hear it anymore "Classic Rock"......Here's some......

6. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    People buy on itunes and sht like that.

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  7. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

That sounds cool, but I hate that pompous faggot Jools Holland! The U.K.'s answer to Paul Shaffer. :facepalm:

8. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:

When I was in high school, I would save my money, then go to the music store called "The Warehouse" and buy my carefully chosen LP. I would open it at the cash register and inspect it for defects, cracks, or if it's warped. This I learned to do because when you bought an album, it will be yours forever! Music collections were serious business for audiophiles, that's all gone! Kids today will buy rent a song library from Apple that's technically not even theirs, they never actually own it!

9. BethsFeet

BethsFeet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't get that damn Stay With Me song out of my head and I hate Top 40 shit.

10. Omen

Omen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The fun of hearing that your fav artist had a new LP out & running to a record store to get it will never be duplicated

Beths Arab likes this.
  11. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:

jennyb likes this.
  12. HS Cult Leader

Reputations:
    Listen to a real song called "Stay With Me", this will blow that other shit out of your head! :hair:

TheWonk, icypussy, jimbronie and 3 others like this.
  13. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the music business deserves to die, the shit thrown at the public is insulting. maybe, we can return to real music instead of the unintelligible mumbles and grunts by "artists" too stupid to live. it's about time execs wakeup to the fact that they've managed to hasten the destruction of american culture....if only they all go bankrupt.

14. PropRmodulation

PropRmodulation Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I still buy music but I am a bit of an "audiophile" nerd. I buy mostly used records and CDs. I do still buy new from artists I like, to try to support them.

That being said why are new CD's still $12-$15? New records are $20-$25. They don't cost anywhere near there to produce. Drop the prices to compete against iTunes and I think people would buy more. Most kids now just search music on YouTube and play it through their tiny 3 inch speakers. Its not the same.

15. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    most people agree that today's music sucks compared to decades past. I haven't bought a physical piece of music in many years. and I 'borrow' music like most people do

Beths Arab likes this.
  16. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Haven't bought a CD in like 15 years.

I just download for free either Flac or high quality MP3s.

17. Cunt

Cunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe it was The WHEREhouse. :grad:

18. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    U almost forget he had a whole career before he started making fag music

19. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well they r mixing music to be heard on phones now

20. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Man, all the money I spent on CDs back in college / right afterwards.

Fucking CRAZY $. Import CDs, too.

AmishGirl likes this.