My boss resigned. My whole life will be 100% different in 2 months.

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Dainty Jainty, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:

Please bear with me as I know this will be a boring post for many but I just have to get this all out since I'm here so often and you're like extended family for me.

So here goes..

My boss's last day at work is in two months. It's complicated but his departure means my job will be redundant. My company is going to keep me and try to find a new location in the firm for me. I have the choice, of course, whether to stay or not (depending on what's offered me, I may leave too).

Because of a no-poaching-type clause in his resignation, he can't bring me to his new place for six months after he leaves. He said he'll reach out to me when that deadline is up and ask me to work for him again at the new place.

Here's where shit gets real...

I'm seriously considering quitting the firm and have my last day coincide with his. The money's great but like Lemmy has told me a few times on this board, money isn't everything.

I have the funds to not have to work for a couple of years (even three).

I feel I need to reexamine where my life and career is heading.

I turned 40 last year. That number is a big one for me symbolically.

I think I should take the summer off and use that time to reflect. And then just go for it; go for a job that will be ENJOYABLE and rewarding. Sure, my salary would likely get cut in half if I were to do what I loved but I could live with that and most importantly, be happy.

I love my boss (he's been a mentor) but I do wonder if I'd even accept a position at his new firm. It feels like this is the ending of our era and that is fine.

This is my big chance to really change my life. An opportunity given to me on a golden platter so to speak.

But I'm scared. I'm scared of not finding work (which my boyfriend says is nothing to worry about since I'm so experienced) and worse, not ever figuring out what kind of work would make me happy. But you never know until you try, right? :dontknow: :bigcry:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    Summary: mid-life crisis.

3. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    Dnr any tits?

4. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    is it poaching if you apply to work for him, rather than him ask for you to come over?

5. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:
    Not sure but it doesn't necessarily matter in this case as I need the time to think on things anyway.

6. Chriza

Chriza The One Man Gangbang VIP

Reputations:
  7. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    Do not resuscitate any tits? :wtf:

8. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hard to really comment without knowing what you do and what you really want to do. All anyone can do is give you Chinese fortune cookie type responses. I know you can't be more specific without inviting potential problems from creeps, it is a limitation of public forums.

All I can say is go what interests you more. When they close the lid on the box, the unspent money isn't going to matter.

9. acagirl98

acagirl98 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear this dainty but at the same time seems like a whole new door is opening for you if you can afford it - financially and be up for a challenge mentally.

don't be scared about not finding work because it sounds like you have a backup if needed, even if you want to break away from that. So you can explore new options knowing you have that in your back pocket if you feel like you don't find something new that works for you. Very interesting position to be in for sure.

also thanks bitch, I'm buying a featherbed this week because of your thread, it bugs me I don't have one when I get into bed at night now :pissed:

10. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    You have a boyfriend? But, I thought...you...me...? :depressed:

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Reputations:
    I say go for it. Not many people have the opportunity to do that. You do. The biggest thing is what if you are 90 and regret not doing anything.

12. BaddFunn

BaddFunn Kick ass fuck yeah VIP

Reputations:
    Lemmy is correct, money isn't everything.

Until of course you start to run out of it, that's when it becomes a very big deal.

13. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    You should think about posting tit pics. You're 40 and soon you might regret not doing it. Assess that.

14. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:
    lol! About that featherbed.. you know what? My mattress pad is poly-fill but seemed like a good option when I was at the store. Now I'm bummed cuz I didn't get a goddamned motherfucking featherbed. I want that floating on a cloud experience!!! The mattress pad is fine but I think I'm still gonna splurge on a featherbed to go on top of the new mattress pad! My new down comforter though is a DREAM!!!

But in terms of the job stuff.. sigh.. thank you.. yes.. I have options. I have to keep telling myself that or I'll have a nervous breakdown!

15. Sternac

Sternac HALs Pal

Reputations:
    Can't you keep the job and think about an alternative career? And is it guaranteed that your old boss will hire you at the new firm?

16. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    :dontknow:

17. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:
    Oh fuck. LOL!!! You lifted me with me your first sentence then dropped me off the cliff with your second one, lol!!!

18. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:
    Yes and no.

Yes, I could stay with the firm as I think about things but whatever they throw at me will be longer hours and harder work (most likely). Not sure I want to go through that pain and try to sort out my life.

And no, my boss may even decide to retire after he leaves. I have to figure the stint at his new place is not a guarantee at all and figure things out for myself if it doesn't come through. And if he does offer the job I may decide by that point that I want to go in a whole new direction and not take it anyway.

19. Reggae Mistress

Reggae Mistress Old Catcher's Mitt

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need to sit down and make an old fashioned Pro/Con list for each of your options.

20. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    I wouldn't quit until your current boss actually leaves and the dust settles.

If your position is redundant, there is a good shot they are going to lay you off when he leaves, even though they are saying otherwise now.

You'd be giving up unemployment and a possibly decent severance package.