My most sincerest condolences to Diego Dave for his tragic loss

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Phan Neepack, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Comer Cottrell dies at 82; made Jheri Curl available to the masses

Comer Cottrell, an entrepreneur and philanthropist who turned a small Los Angeles operation into a multimillion-dollar success story by catering to the hair care needs of African Americans, as well as Caucasians struggling with their long lost youth, died Friday at his home in Plano, Texas. He was 82.

His death from natural causes was confirmed by his son-in-law, Eric Brown.

With $600 and a broken typewriter, Cottrell opened Pro-Line Corp. in downtown Los Angeles in 1970. It was not the first black hair care company but it became one of the largest with the Curly Kit, an at-home hair relaxer that made the loose, gleaming Jheri curl — a style popularized by celebrities such as Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson — available at a fraction of the salon price.

"That's when his company went from $1 million to $10 million in sales," said Lori L. Tharps, co-author of "Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America," published in 2001. Through his company, Tharps said, Cottrell "democratized the Jheri curl."

With his brother, James, Cottrell turned Pro-Line into one of the most successful black-owned companies in the United States, worth $80 million when they sold it three decades later.

Cottrell headed the Los Angeles Black Businessman's Assn., which represented about 40 black-owned businesses, and during the late 1970s helped them expand through federal contracts and other opportunities.......

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-comer-cottrell-20141009-story.html

2. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's still so ironic to me, how your avatar is an accurate representation of how you'd look without the benefit of a colostomy bag.

3. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Lemmy likes this.
  4. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    do you have an RSS Feed that says "Niggggger News"

5. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:

i always look for the part manboobs edited in himself. it's usually pretty easy.