MY MY MY Where"s my money

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tonibb, Jun 5, 2014.

1. tonibb

tonibb New Member

Reputations:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/howard-stern-intern_n_5235352.html

New York (April 29, 2014, 12:59 PM ET) -- A former intern for The Howard Stern Show filed a proposed class action Monday in New York federal court against Sirius XM Radio Inc. alleging the satellite radio company violated labor laws by not paying her or other interns.
    Sirius XM became the latest target of employment suits brought by former interns with the complaint, which alleges Sirius XM violated the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York labor laws when having interns work long hours with no monetary compensation.

While working for Sirius XM, “members of the putative class were regularly required to perform work for [Sirius XM], without receiving minimum and overtime wages as required by applicable federal and state law,†said the complaint filed Monday.

The suit was brought by Melissa Tierney, a New York resident who worked at Sirius XM from August 2011 through December 2011 as an intern for The Howard Stern Show.

The complaint alleges that as an intern, Tierney performed work necessary to Sirius XM’s operations and did not receive any academic or vocational training, but wasn't compensated for her work.

The proposed class is seeking unpaid wages and interest on that income. The proposed class would include all unpaid Sirius XM interns, according to the complaint.

A spokesman for Sirius XM and counsel for the proposed class didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

The suit is part of a growing trend of intern rights suits across the country.

2. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She needs to read between the lies. Do the opposite of anything they told her and she'll be a huge success.

3. Maddysmom

Maddysmom Kunt Banned User

Reputations:
    Are you claiming you were an intern at THSS?

4. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does this idiot know its free work. She learning thats her pay

5. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    I believe it clearly states that the suit alleges she was made to do work that was not providing her with education in her field of study nor did she receive credit from the school for (probably because it was doing something that was uncreditable in her program- presumably broadcasting). That's why there's a claim.

6. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I wouldn't have a problem with her winning a lawsuit if her internship there did not involve learning anything substantial about the radio biz. Internships should be about more than getting free "gophers" and office help in return for a meaningless entry on the intern's otherwise empty resume'.

If everyone else has to pay minimum wage for non-training work, so should they.

Funny, you never see many landscaping, carpentry, or house painting interns, even though doing that would teach you far more than getting Howard's potato every day ever would. America is upside down. Fields where working free or at low wage to learn skills makes sense nobody does it, or it isn't allowed by law. But if you want someone to come in and do nothing related to a better knowledge of that field, by all means, hire all the unpaid interns you want.

7. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
  8. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    A foot in the door is priceless, which is something these interns are overlooking.

9. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    if she wins, they all have to pay union dues for the year, which might wipe out any income they would realize.

10. Mr Vengeance

Reputations:
    It's true. For some reason the skilled trades are never high on young people's priorities list when it comes to careers. Truth is, they are in demand and pay well. A few years back I saw a tv commercial promoting skilled trades education. It had these guys working on the street doing some road construction downtown on a really hot day. In one of the office buildings, some suit and tie guys hold up a sign that says, "It's 68 degrees in here" (or something to that effect) and then the construction guy writes a sign and holds it up saying "It's $45 an hour out here"...Always thought that was an effective ad.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. Mr Vengeance

Reputations:
    This is true, but there are limits. During my days working in TV as a producer we'd always have interns at our little station and among our rules was that they were to always be given tasks that were related to tv production. No asking them to run across the street and get your lunch. They were there to learn about broadcasting and not be your butler. Unfortunately there are tons of places that do use them as slave labor, under the guise of getting your foot in the door. In the end, too many of them end up with no new skills and don't get a job there or anywhere else.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    What percentage of former HSS interns would you guess currently have adequate paying jobs in radio or TV? Most of them seem to have received what they wanted, a resume entry. That's about it.

13. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Moron.

Read it again, sound out the two and three syllable words, then post again.

I disagree with the lawsuit, but man you are dumb.

14. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't they get college credit? Did she not know it was an unpaid position?

15. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...they should get credits if theyre not paid but the girl claims she got neither while working for the show/sirius. its not that big of a deal, they can pay them all out of howard bonus money that he wasnt entitled to.

16. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My point is, did she know that there is no pay or college credits ahead of time?

17. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...i would guess she knew there was no pay up front and assumed she would be getting credit at school. when she found out she didnt get either one she filed for monetary damages. just a guess on my part but if she had gotten the school credits she would not have a basis for a suit. so at the end of the day, she worked, got no pay and no school credit. unless she was a volunteer like beth is at nsal she should have gotten some kind of compensation. an intern is not a volunteer.

18. Mr Vengeance

Reputations:
    I'm sure she knew that she wasn't being paid, but she was being asked to do duties that had nothing to do with her area of study and she recieved no credits for that work. She should have only been asked to do waork for which she WOULD receive credit.

19. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I get that. I just always thought an internship was being an unpaid bitch in the entertainment world. I don't agree with it, but I thought everyone that is getting into that business knew that. I have to figure there is more to this story.

20. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...all kinds of professions have interns. lawyers, doctors, etc.