Entertainment My Review of Capt. 'Merica Civil War *Warning - Spoilers Abound*

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TallTyrion, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Okay, so this movie was really, really good. Not Oscar worthy, like some have mentioned (looking at you @ARM buddy) but definitely right up there with Winter Soldier and GOTG for the GOAT, my preliminary rating is somewhere around a 4-4.5 out of 5 stars. Was it better than BvS? Apples and Oranges, but the short answer is yes. I saw this movie in 2D, which IMHO is the only way to enjoy any movie, the venue was at Aventura Mall in North Miami, the time was at 7:30pm. They made us turn our phones off and threatened to throw us out of the theater if they even see us power up, there was security all around the theater just watching us, so I was able to sneak a pic of the pre screen twatter message before the movie started, but that was it. Spoilers will abound, so be advised that while I will not spoil main plot points or retell the story, there are things that happen in the story that make it cool, or not so cool that I will give out. So abandon all hope of not being spoilerized, ye who venture beyond this point.

What was Great:
    Starting from the beginning, the fight with Crossbones and various rogue hydra agents in the streets of Nigeria was excellent, the action was very good, I had some minor problems with the camera work, but the fights themselves were great, using all of the hero’s abilities.
    I love Sam Wilson’s spin on Redwing, instead of a trained peregrine falcon, he has a drone that is damn awesome and it was used many times throughout the movie.
    Black Panther – You just have to see the suit in action and the actor that plays him to understand just how incredible the whole setup is for Black Panther.
    The Chase scene in the parking garage between, Winter Soldier, Capt America and Black Panther – This is comparable to Capt America’s escape from SHIELD in Winter Soldier. The action is fast paced and really fun, everyone in the theater was enraptured with the back and forth chasing between all 3.
    The famous fight scene at the airport between the heroes – You have to see it to believe it, so much going on, so much coolness, for me to start from the beginning and recant it to you would only do it injustice. You must see this however…..
    ANT MAN TURNS INTO GIANT MAN and it’s awesome – I had to give that tidbit. Paul Rudd was one of the best things about this movie, he was funny and they used his powers a whole bunch of different ways.

Stuff that was just ok:
    So I’m going to go there, but color me sort of sick of Tony Stark. The wisecracking almost became annoying and combined with my next slight beef, it almost distracted from the story enough to be something that bothered me, but not all the way, Iron Man is still awesome, but I don’t know man, the whole wise cracking schtick is getting on my nerves a bit.
    And that brings me to this part, which is going to piss some people off. SPIDER MAN was done true to the comic book, and to me….it hurt the character on the big screen, was it bad? No, absolutely not, however, the kid that plays Peter Parker/Spider Man, again, in my opinion overdid it with the whole puberty voice cracking thing, it was so close to Marty McFly in BTTF that it was borderline embarrassing. There was a scene where they introduced Spidey, where Tony Stark is meeting with Aunt May, (who is played by Marissa Tomei btw), and Peter has a meeting with Stark in his bedroom, the scene felt forced and awkward to me…..I’m trying to keep a level head about this, but they really stayed true to the comic on his character and IMHO it hurt the tone of the movie a little. I also had problems with the action sequences with him, because I felt like the overdid the CGI on Spidey just a little and it got almost claymationey…but again, that’s me being over opinionated and nitpicky.

What wasn’t so great:
    The main plot point – I’m not going to spoil it, but it was really predictable and I guessed it in the first 15 minutes of the movie. It’s revisionist marvel history as well, but whatever, the movie’s great, take the good with the bad.
    There really wasn’t a big baddie – Crossbones was killed in the first 10 minutes of the movie, which was disappointing to me, but I guess Zemo was the big bad, but they tried to make him sympathetic near the end of the movie, and really from a plot standpoint, the climax of the movie really was disappointing. This is a recurrent theme in Marvel movies that almost borders on political correctness to me, not everybody needs a reason to be evil…some people just are.
    Some of the camera work, especially during the fights was almost herky jerky. I didn’t see it in an IMAX theater and I didn’t see it in 3D, so maybe with that advance technology it will look better, but really that’s me again picking gnits.

There was a lot going on in this movie, it was right on the cusp of being 7 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb bag, but it managed. I heartily recommend it for anyone looking for a great movie to see and it holds it’s own against movies like Winter Soldier and GOTG. What I will say is this movie was a lot more Civil War than BvS was Batman actually against Superman.

I can go deeper here, but I'm not sure I want to ruin the movie for you guys. I hope I helped......you off a cliff.

wookienutz, Zach, lilbuddy67 and 8 others like this.
  2. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... Yeah... I'm talking to you.... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT..... GEEK ALERT.....

funkface likes this.
  3. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Typed all that in a thread you don't care about....excellent work.

Captain likes this.
  4. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

:nooo:

SuperFarts likes this.
  5. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does Captain America toss his shield and have it bang off something and come back to him in this one?

Habsfan likes this.
  6. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    yes, in fact Spiderman tells him it defies the laws of physics.

Drungle, ljc and ARM like this.
  7. hugh jasol

hugh jasol white trash on dope Gold

Reputations:
    Agreed with everything you typed except one part - I'd move the Spider-Man comment from the 'just ok' section into the stuff that wasn't great. No way should Andrew Garfield should have got the boot over this new guy. Bad casting call. The teen-angst thing was played out by 1970 for the character, he's a grown man. I know they've re-conned him to hell and back, but even in the newest series he's older. Like a Tony Stark type tech mogul.

TallTyrion likes this.
  8. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I don't know..I was trying to keep it there, because if you are a fan of the comic's peter parker, it's pretty true to the original intent. However, if you follow the actual comic version of Civil War, he is a full blown man...so I'm conflicted.

Did you agree with my overall assessment?

ljc and hugh jasol like this.
  9. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

SouthernListen likes this.
  10. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks for the review, I don't mind reading spoilers. :beer:

ljc and TallTyrion like this.
  11. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    A lot of things that occurred in the comics have been altered, we just have to suspend disbelief even more. :dontknow:

ljc and TallTyrion like this.
  12. hugh jasol

Reputations:
    I did, you pretty much nailed it. And yes, they had ushers in the place telling people to turn off their phone before and even a couple of times during the movie. Never seen that before. They were basically teenagers working there, so nobody listened to them..... especially the other kids that were patrons.

ljc likes this.
  13. ljc

ljc fish sucks on the stick Gold

Reputations:
    have you watched the second season of dare devil yet ? i am 6 deep and i like it a lot so far.

14. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Yes, I was going to save my review for next week. Suffice it to say that it's a great show. Not as good as S01 IMHO, but damned good. The fight in the stairwell exceeds anything in S01.

ljc likes this.
  15. ljc

ljc fish sucks on the stick Gold

Reputations:
    i hope to get a bunch more episodes done this weekend. i love all the punisher stuff and i am glad they finally got someone who can pull off that character.

TallTyrion likes this.
  16. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    rip through it if the Mrs. will let you. I just had to do it and damn the torpedoes.

ljc likes this.
  17. hugh jasol

Reputations:
    The Punisher was f'n fantastic. It's pretty much Shane playing Shane from the Walking Dead, but still great. The prison scene was my fav.

ljc likes this.
  18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

ARM likes this.
  19. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Any reason why you didnt use spoiler tags?

I am prevented from reading your review.

20. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I said there were spoilers within on the title of the thread.....

lilbuddy67 likes this.